| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender amp choices
Jonathan Mitguard

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 8:30 am    

I am considering some amp options and am curious what others have tried. I have been looking at the Fender Supersonic which is a tube amp, that is supposed to be wired to emulate a Vibrolux or a Bassman, plus a second channel with High gain options. My guess is I can probably get great tube amp over drive but I also want crystal clean tone. Any experience with the Supersonic, Vibrolux, or Bassman amps. Are they clean at reasonable volume (somewhere below painful). I would only want the head option which would then go into a JBL K 130.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 11:02 am    

The Supersonic is a very bright sounding amp, even by guitar standards. But running it into a 15" speaker might mellow it down a little. By pedal steel standards, it doesn't have much clean headroom, but it depends on your needs. None of the amps you mention have enough clean headroom for me for pedal steel.
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 1:41 pm    

Jonathan, you might look into a early '70s Bassman 100. I have a 1973 silverface head, and it's very loud and very clean. They can still be had for a reasonable price as well.

Here's a reference page from the The Fender Amp Field Guide.

http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=29
Zach Keele

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 10:01 am    

I believe a dual showman head would give you more than enough clean room.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 10:51 am    

For relatively clean headroom on Fender amps, you need to go with a Twin, Showman, Bassman 100 or Super Twin.

100 watts of tube power seems necessary for "crystal" cleans, as you say. The 80-watt Twins are all right too (BF and early SF), but stay in the '70s if you can. That decade was all about power!
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 1:19 pm    

Ditto on the Twin recommendation. I play through a '68 Twin that has a relatively low output transformer (probably more like 70W than the 85W it's supposed to be) . I find it to be plenty loud with enough headroom. At most clubs I can't see ever needing to crank it to where I run out of headroom. The sound man always mikes it so there's no need to crank it beyond its sweet spot. It's hard to beat the sound of a steel guitar through a Twin. Like Chris is saying, the later 70's models are even louder and are really excellent for steel (maybe more excellent for steel than they are for standard guitar as sometimes they seem too loud and clean for standard guitar). Another plus for the 70's amps is that they are not as collectable and expensive as their 60's brethren, but I would not shy from a 70's twin for a great pedal steel amp.
Jonathan Mitguard

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 2:01 pm    

Thanks for the responses. One of my criteria is that this be a separate head for weight and configuration reasons. I like having the head next to me where I can tweak. My power amp now is a Peavey 50/50 tube amp of which I usually only use one side, as in 50 watts. If the band is particularly loud I can bridge it and have 100 watts. I was thinking the 60 watts of the Supersonic would be enough and also low enough to maybe drive it to the sweet spot. I often play at just over acoustic levels. The gear chase never ends.

Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 2:20 pm    

I can say with some confidence that the Supersonic will not sound good for steel. It's a guitar amp all the way, designed to throw out mid range and break up at the drop of a hat. If you need a tube head at 100 watts, try a '70s Showman Reverb or a Bassman 100. Both will take your head off, and you can really dial out the mids and dial in that sweet spot.

Most newer Fender tube amps are designed with guitar players in mind. Ask me.....I've been through them all: Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Deville, Twin Reissue, Custom 15, Deluxe reissue......they're all rotten for steel, in my opinion. The only tube Fenders that sound right to my ear for steel are the older (pre-'81) point-to-point high wattage amps. Even the lower wattage point-to-point amps sound better for steel than the newer high-wattage ones. Not sure what's up, besides a sharp decline in quality control at Fender. They do not resemble the same company that built those older amps.
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 2:35 pm    

A Showman head is a sweet amp. I think Bob Hoffnar plays through one for pedal steel. You could find one of the silverface PA heads: I think those are 135W. I know you're asking about Fender amps, but Rivera and Mesa Boogie have made some nice tube amp heads that will sound great for steel.
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 3:20 pm    

I just finished a mid '60s Dual Showman about a month ago to play steel through and couldn't be happier. A Dual Showman Reverb head from the 70s would be a killer choice as well. Basically a twin in a head cab.

I also have a early master volume twin with EV speakers on the way to me I found on ebay for $539.00. Those deals are out there. An amp like this would work if you mounted the head in a cab from Mojo or JD Newell.

I personally like the warmth of tube amplification. You can't go wrong with a big old Fender for clean headroom.

Best,

Rich
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 4:57 pm    

I would say a Showman or Dual Showman would be a good choice. Bullet proof circuit, one of the best ever designed in my opinion. The normal channel has more gain, but still stays clean to around 5.5. I have three Showman/dual heads (non-reverb) and love them all. Stick a tube or digital reverb, or processor in front and go for it.
The head is easier to carry for us old people with bad backs as well. You can choose your preference for speaker cabinets.
I also have bandmsters, but not enough headroom for my taste/volume. Many people use those, though.
Lefty
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 5:18 pm    

Don't forget forumite Rick Johnson when you are in the market for a head cab set. Cool Here's mine with JBL K130's. Dual Showman Reverb is the same as a twin, basically. Depending on year differences, but the circuits are pretty much the same. Just a different face plate. The Vibrosonic is only different because of the 8 ohm transformer.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 5:19 pm    

That's it, James! Breaking out the big guns! What a rig!
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:30 pm    

Ok, You showed me yours. I'll show you mine:

James,

Is that two different heads or just different chassis' in the same cab. Very nice looking rig.
James Morehead

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:48 pm    

Rich, I have both chassis in their own head cab--I just have one pair of extension cabs, though. Nice to grab what head I want for the evening. The Twin is a '71 nonmaster that is dialed in to the '65 twin specs. it has 715 orangedrop caps. I can get a little "hair" to the tone if I crank it--which I always do. I only need one number on my volume knob--10, as I control it all with my volume pedal anyways. Anyways, I do not like it as well as the vibro, which has the original fender blue caps, which are really 225p's. Nice to have a choice.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 7:52 pm    

James,
Thats a great looking amp and cabinets! I want one too.
James Morehead

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 8:24 pm    

Thanx for the kind words, Clete. Forumite Rick Johnson made those for me, and his prices are very righteous, and his work is awesome. He will make cabinets for any and all brands of amps. Cool
Jonathan Mitguard

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2009 1:22 pm    

Thanks, The showman Bassman options are intriguing, for sure. Hmmm.