| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RICKENBACKER 208 on eBay
Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2009 9:00 pm    

This looks like it would make a nice first lap steel for someone that already plays an acoustic Steel and wants to try their hand at an electric.

Link to auction on eBay.

I'll not be bidding because it has exceeded the $500 price mark with shipping and I do not need another Steel guitar as badly as I need to pay my Mortgage (I can not do both).

Anyone here playing one of these regularly.

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)
Dennis Saydak

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 11:02 am    

Hmmmm, a Mortgage. Who makes that brand of guitar Laughing
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 12:13 pm     We have a winner....

and that would be me. I've been watching it since it was posted. I am VERY pleased...its the same vintage as I am.

Can't wait to get it and start digging into two necks with 8 strings each(I've only played 6 string lap thus far).
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 2:51 pm     Strike me dead if..............but.................

This is the last electric Hawaiian steel guitar that I could possibly want. Great looking and would nicely compliment my last addition, a 1969, single neck Jerry Byrd model.

Anyone know what year it is for sure? There are small screws at the key-head end of the g'tar which would suggest those small 'covers' that are flat aluminum.

I have a really nice, 1965 wood-body, stand-alone, double-8, Rickenbacher that closely resembles the Fender dbl-8 like Kayton Roberts has played for years. I'll bet if someone would be willing to pay me a ridiculous price for my lil' Rick I could possibly use the EMPTY CASE out, FULL CASE in........
tactic and acquire this advertised g'tar to fulfill my steel guitar dreams.
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 6:26 pm    

Well, now I know I did well! Ray, you are welcome to come over and play it any time (I'm west of Austin, TX in the Hill Country). I subscribe to your YouTube channel and dream of some day having some small portion of your facility and taste as a steel player.
Jon Nygren

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 6:55 pm    

You got a great deal...looks to have changed knobs but pretty clean otherwise. If I hadn't just paid for a rick DW16(a wood guitar like Rays) I would have been all over this one.

I'm guessing the year to be late 50s-very early 60s, based on the type of metal logo. I believe the earlier ones have a logo that square on the edges, and thinner script writing.

Ray, my theory is your guitar is a mid to late 50s DW16 that was leftover....hard to say without looking at it.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 7:22 pm     About those Rickenbacher steel guitars..................

Thanks for the kind words, to be sure, and for following my YouTube posts. Very nice of you.

Congratulations on a really nice looking guiar that most likely will sound as great as it looks. You're certain to have many years of enjoyment out of that g'tar.

You can see my Ric dbl-8 wood body on Ray's CD's page of the JerryByrd-FanClub.com/ site.

Thanks, if you have time to take a look and render an opinion.
Jon Nygren

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 5:28 am    

Went and looked at your CD page Ray...you own all those bakelites? Whoa! lucky guy.

Looks like a DW16, but the picture is pretty small. Heres a shot of a blonde one at a trade show in the mid 50's.
http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_image.asp?archive_id=650&gallery_year=1950
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:44 am    

I have a triple like that:

Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:48 am    

Very cool triple Erv!

As to the date of my "new " 208, a friend who is pretty knowledgeable about such things thought '56 (but will have to see it in person). I have a line on chrome knobs to make it complete. I know I got a great deal and I'm STOKED.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:56 am    

Thank you!
This picture is from some old Rickenbacker literature:

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 2:32 pm    

Erv! I had one of those Transonic amps. The Transonic 100. Bizarre amp, but really good sounding for a solid state amp. Very awkward to carry though. Badly balanced. They even had VU meters! Band wanted me to play it all the time with my Dynacord Cora guitar. Sold it to Nashville Cat George Bradfute.

Very nice Rick! I passed up an earlier one a few years ago because it had been cut down for a kid.
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 2:35 am    

Ray, my SW DW list only has one fireglow D-6 listed. Serial number D2 7 111 probably from 1957. If that's not yours, email me with the number and I will add it to the list. Here is the Feb 1954 ad introducing the DW. The prototype pictured is the very first Rickenbacker instrument to feature the "new" logo.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 7:22 am     Thanks for the info'.................

Mark: Mine is a dark wood model just as the one you displayed, HOWEVER, mine has flat metal plates, no logo, over the tuning heads. And the name Rickenbacher is on a small rectangular metal plate on the front.

GREAT GUITAR by the way!

Wasn't sure what YOU MEANT about 'the serial number'.
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 3:44 pm    

My mistake Ray, I thought yours looked like a fireglow finish now I see it's walnut. The serial number on yours would probably be stamped on the bottom back where the strings go thru.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 4:10 pm     About them thar' numbers!

I was unable to locate ANY number of any kind from anywhere on this unit.
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 6:49 pm    

I may be mistaken again Ray but do I remember that you bought yours new in the early sixties? If so it might be kind of a one off for the time, the very last DW made.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 7:01 pm     About that Rickenbacher......................

I had hounded the local store for months about getting me a Rickenbacher (Bakelite) about which I knew absolute nothing.

They had shown me one, that was green mother of toilet seat. The nearest neck was placed normally but the other neck was raised about 6-8 inches above the first neck.

I believe these were six string units.

Finally, the Rickenbacher SALESMAN sold me HIS Demonstrator guitar...........I'm sure just to get rid of me, perhaps? I know for certain it was in 1965.
Jon Nygren

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2009 11:03 am    

Maybe they specifically made the guitar as a 'demo', and didnt stamp a serial on it? The # on the one I have is very small, on the bottom back in between the two necks.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 3:54 pm     I've received my confirmation on purchase..................

Well now, in a couple of days I should be receiving my NEW, olde Rickenbacher Dbl-8, from Okahoma. This will be my very last guitar purchase during this life time........I've promised.

Now I can play around with Jerry Byrd's Diatonic tuning and have C6th/A7th right there beside it, just like JERRY BYRD used to do. This ought to be fun.

Now how was that story again? I leave the house with an 'empty case'........get it filled, and return with the full case, right? I hope I've got this right now and don't go and mess it up.

My little wooden body dbl-8 is for sale and will be posted here in the SGF soon.