| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Everything I Don't Know About Strings
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2009 8:38 am    

Seemingly, there is a lot of ambiguity about the "life" of strings.
And, I'm seeking information, not attempting to dispense it.

Players say, "my strings are dead; or when my strings go dead I change them".
Surely all of this is metaphorical, since they were never alive in the first place.

There is one all encompassing cause of death for every human who has ever died in the history of the world, lack of blood-flow to the brain.

1) Is there one factor about the condition of strings that stands out as the final "killer" of strings?

2) If deformity caused by rust, corrosion, and/or flat areas are contributors to string "death" which one will contribute the most, to their "death"?

3) If a lap steel is strung with brand new strings then cleaned and untouched in the case for one year, showing no apparent rust, are they nearly as good as new?

4) Do strings have a shelf-life __ new in the envelope, but 10 years old, are they as good as new?

5) Theoretically, with absolutely no other distorting conditions, will keeping normal tension on strings for months do something to the molecular structure of the metal, and if so what?

Many thanks.
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2009 9:35 am    

My experience over the years:
1) Rust spots on the plain strings which cause uneven noting when movng the bar (rust changes the uniform mass of the string which greatly affects the overtones). The windings on the wound strings eventually will loosen, sometimes break, get full of body crud (sweat, skin cells, other DNA,etc.) and will sound dead or muffled.

2)Rust, if you live in a high humidity area, with industrial pollution AND you have sweaty hands AND do not wipe off the strings after you play. (This is our biggest factor in Houston area)

3)Not necessarily. I have done this on my Fender T-8 and put in back in case for a few months before I use it on a job and have found that most of the wound strings have lost their sustain and 'brightness'. Plain strings are fine.

4) Again, not necessarily. Depending on the humidity conditions and air quality where they are stored can cause some major problems. I have ourchased 'new' strings from some dealers who apparently have had them in the store (or in their home office) for many moons before I got them, and the plain strings all had rust or corrosion spots where the metal touched metal in the coil. Bass windings can also go dead. The metal and manufacturing technique is big factor here. Strings wound on a hexagon core, like the old Mapes strings seem to never have problems with loose windings.
Best to have fresh strings.

5)Yes, they will become less elastic. Read about strings and Young's modulous in a good physics or strength of materials book.

Thanx,
Jim
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2009 3:18 pm     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 22 Jun 2012 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Ray Shakeshaft

Kidderminster, Worcs, UK.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2009 12:03 pm    

I see lots of info on string gauges but what difference does the scale length make and what is the norm when gauges are mentioned?
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2009 12:44 pm    

To play the same pitches and keep optimum tension, a longer neck will need lighter gauge strings, and a shorter neck will need thicker gauges.
Ray Shakeshaft

Kidderminster, Worcs, UK.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2009 7:42 am    

Quote:
To play the same pitches and keep optimum tension, a longer neck will need lighter gauge strings, and a shorter neck will need thicker gauges.

Thanks David - shorter or longer than what though?

I generally use a 22.5" neck with 8 strings and C6 tuning so what gauges are recommended?
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2009 7:26 pm    

Rick,

I'll have a go at it.

Intonation is a good measure of in tune, out of tune with respect to the fretboard.
Strings lose the ability to sustain a pitch as they age. (weeks)
The more they are stretched/relaxed they will lose the ability to sustain, and will likely be a "rascal" to tune.
I have never regretted changing strings on any kind of guitar.
If you play gut bucket blues, don't change them til they break.

If you want clean crisp, tone, with good separation, change them often.
One week to three weeks.

I have a mileage sticker at the tuner where I can note the date.

YMMV
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2009 7:36 pm    

Quote:
1) Is there one factor about the condition of strings that stands out as the final "killer" of strings?

The killer is stress. Just as stress kills human beings, stress kills strings. Surprised Stress is neither a respector of persons or strings. Rolling Eyes

Aloha, Smile
Don