Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2009 1:45 am    

New to me at least,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIe28-4fFzg
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2009 3:22 am    

I remember it well, I was there that day, I played steel just before he came on. After he finished playing he asked me to look after his guitar while he went off to pick up his fee.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2009 3:23 pm    

no offense...but that's one of the lamest things i've ever heard buddy play!!
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2009 4:53 pm    

I nominate Chris for the Steel Guitar Forum "Mr. Congeniality" award!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 8:51 am    

thanx peter...i accept!

no..but really...buddy has done so many incredibly amazing and/or beautiful offerings...this clip surprised me in it's lack of that. of course it's a treat to see and hear him do anything. to me he is the original best.

ps...as mr. congeniality, will i get a sash and a scepter?
Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 11:44 am    

OK, can't let this one go unchallenged. Chris, it is obvious that the sound quality is terrible since it was probably recorded on a cell phone or something like that, but if there was something "lame" about Buddy's playing, maybe you would like to further explain, In my humble opinion, its your hearing that is lame, with all due respect.
Dan
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 11:56 am    

as I said above I was there and he sounded as good as ever. Maybe the choice of tune was because he wanted to play something that the british would know.
Finbarr O'Sullivan

Glengarriff, Ireland
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 12:04 pm    

I agree with Chris!! I believe it was recorded for tv. But Buddy is still my favourite!
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 12:46 pm    

Chris, The sash and scepter may have to be negotiated with Mr. Trump. Tell him I said it was OK with me.
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 2:30 pm    

I think Buddy was playing from some old nostalgia He had extracted from the old Spade Cooley recording featuring Joaquin Murphy. I beleive, that like the rest of us old timers, Joaquin influenced all of our playing. I wish Buddy was still available to comment on this.
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 4:45 pm    

I Have to agree with Chris, this is not the best performance of Buddy but Sad ... who hasn't had a few bad performance live, i know i have and i can tell you i have played my share of live shows, but Buddy is still one of the best and will remain one of the best Smile

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 5:17 pm    

Dan Hatfield wrote:
OK, can't let this one go unchallenged. Chris, it is obvious that the sound quality is terrible since it was probably recorded on a cell phone or something like that
Dan

I don't think there were cell phones in 1981. Wink
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 5:54 pm    

i didn't say it was a 'bad' performance..and there is nothing wrong with my hearing, dan. it's just a basic reference of a song that most of us never play except when someone who knows very little about steel requests it. the tone is shallow compared to buddy's norm and the phrasing is predictable.
i never said buddy's playing was lame. the clip is lame in comparison to most of the god's work.

i'm surprised we're beating this dead horse.

...he said 'congenially!'
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2009 12:13 am    

Hey Mr. Congeniality,
I only wish I could play the Rag as good as Buddy Very Happy
Bill OConnor

Castle Rock, Washington, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2009 10:15 am     Buddy Anytime

THERE ARE MANY GREAT PLAYERS TODAY. BUT IF I COULD HAVE ONLY ONE FOR ALL THINGS .IT WOULD BE BUDDY EMMONS HANDS DOWN. HE LAID THE GROUND WORK FOR MOST OF THE GREAT PLAYERS TODAY THEY HAVE BUILT OFF HIS CREATED LICKS. HIS GREAT BACKING FOR RAY PRICE SONGS ALWAYS HAD A NEW SLANT ON EACH KICKOFF AND BREAKS. IF YOU GO TO ANY STEEL JAM TODAY THAT WILL BE THE STUFF YOU WILL HEAR MOST. ALWAYS GREAT TONE AND TOUCH THATS BUDDY EMMONS
Leonard Bick

Washington Court House, OH USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2009 5:50 am     Re:

Chris,
WOW! I hope and pray that you'll apologize for your remarks. Emmons' versions of Steel Guitar Rag are usually along that line. It's by design. We all know that Buddy, if he wanted to, could tear it up, but he chose not to do it on this tune. Plain and simple. K.I.S.S. = "Keep It Simple Stupid" is the best approach, alot of the times. I saw Buddy "live" in 1981 and someone hollered out, "4 Wheel Drive, Buddy". They not longer got out the name Buddy and he hit it, off the cuff, unrehearsed with the band, faster than you can imagine. I've never heard a steel player play that fast, ever. I'm talking, C6th, blazin'. May your steel collapse in your lap, the next time you play. LOL
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2009 7:49 am    

no can do, leonard. if one would read my posts carefully enough to understand what i said, you'll find that this is like comparing two masterpieces by a grand master. one may be plain by design and one fancy. i may prefer the fancy one, but it makes the artist no less of a grand master.

ok? are we all good now? can i reassemble my steel now? everyone calm? geez!
Alan Miller

, England, UK.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 2:17 pm    

John Roach wrote.... Maybe the choice of tune was because he wanted to play something that the british would know.

I agree with John, a very large proportion of the country audience in UK at that time and at the wembley festival were there to see The big name singers and would not know any of the session musicians.... even Buddy Emmons !!!! so he would have to play tunes everybody knew for sure.
Thats maybe hard to believe but true.
I would take a guess that when waylon came to the wembley festival 80% of the audience would not have known that the great Ralph mooney was on steel or thay Conway twitty had John Hughey sitting there.
Don Williams was very very big in UK and Lloyd green did an instrumental spot cos he was probably the best known steel player over here because of his don williams sessions.