| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone ever visit HARRY's MUSIC in Honolulu?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2009 4:44 pm    

I'm thrilled to death about the most recent happening in my life and that of the JERRY BYRD FAN CLUB....... I hope each of you will share this happy day with me.

The photo gallary has finally been upgraded.....with interesting photo's of Jerry's Honolulu home, Harry's Music where Jerry maintained his teaching studio, some fabulous scenic shots and of course, famous Diamond Head.

This took two very long and frustrating years to get accomplished. Now, thanks to a very special friend for which I've been blessed, the task has been completed and it's there for you and your steel guitar friends to view and listen to.

Hope you'll come back more than once. The songs will be changed every 3-4 weeks, as the mood strikes me.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2009 6:26 pm     Wally, is that you?

A most excellant addition to an already fine site, Ray. Thanx for the long and frustrating effort it took to provide so many rare and exceptional photos of the best steel player that ever lived.

You asked in one of the photos at the hotel parking lot jam whom else could be ID'ed. Directly between Jerry and Scotty is (I'm pretty sure...) lucky bugger Wally Pfeifer.

And if you think the sign on Jerry's door at Harry's Music was small, you should have tried to go inside that door! With two people in that teeny tiny room it made for an inescapably intimate session.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2009 8:24 pm     When Jerry phoned me at the hotel.............

Jerry phoned me at the hotel we chatted for quite awhile. I mentioned visiting Harry's and he said:
"And of course, you went inside the little studio, didn't you"? To which I responded "NO, I hadn't".

I was overwhelmed just getting to be in that hallway that I felt I'd be intruding had I even opened the door leading into the mysterious interior of that room.

It was the same feeling I experienced years earlier when I was sitting in Jerry's Nashville home with his "new" custom Rickenbacher steel on my lap, hearing his stories about the making of his latest album "Memories of Maria".

He always was and remains a BIG influence in my music and life. Tell us something about the interior of his studio, if you will.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2009 12:38 am    

Raymond; I moved to Honolulu in Dec. ’79 and lived there until June ’80. I went to Harry's Music several times. I knew there were teaching facilities in the rear of the store, but; I never entered any of the rooms. I bought a new 1980 Fender Twin~Reverb Amp at the store and had JBL K–120 speakers installed. Probably my best of all amplifiers! Those were memorable days being around the Master!
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2009 2:30 am    

I went to Harrys every visit to Honolulu. Alan was most helpful as I would stock up on records and sheet music that was unavailable other places. In addition it was a "hawaiian" store. cc
Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2009 7:31 am     Yes,-I am the lucky bugger

Hi Ron,
Yes, I am the lucky bugger and it is me sitting between Jerry & Scotty in both photos. One of the photos shows C C Johnson in the upper left corner. The other photo shows Scotty's wife, Mary, next to Scotty.
I don't recall the year but maybe CC or Frank Miller would remember. Whatever the year was,- it was a good one. I don't recall Ray Montee being there. Were you, Ray?
Wally Very Happy Smile Cool
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2009 10:37 am    

No Wally, Ray was not there and I believe the yr was 1978, the first year Jerry was at Winchester. BTW, my wife, me and Red Moser took all the pics. The one with Jerry barefooted is quite famous. I showed it to Reece Anderson at MSA and they blew it up to huge proportions and had in their shop and I believe they were still in South Oak Cliff or they had just moved to their new location. Jerry was using my Webb amp and after a couple of numbers the reverb went out and then he used Jess Hurts' peavy. Thats all I remember for now. BTW Wally, we both were young and good lookin and had hair. The big difference in the two of us was you had money and I didn't. cc
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2009 11:14 am     Jerry's lessons studio

His studio was the last room at the rear/right corner of the store. There other and bigger lesson studios along the for-business-only side-rear corridor of the building, but, only his micro-mini L shaped room had a window, with bars. It was probably originally the janitors store room.
Open the door and button-hook to the left, squeezing past the little table for resting/opening your case, and next where his rhythym guitar leans against the wall with his schedualing calendar overhead and between his (personal) corner table, command central, where he kept all he used/needed in a controled mess. Two folding chairs facing a music stand and his Music Man 2X12. A 60s era boom box recorder was perched on top, window overhead, with little fan on the rear corner floor, all within touching distance, and Jerry always seated at the students right.