| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rhode Island Steel Guitar Show
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 12:44 pm    

Just 6 more weeks and it will be that time again.The Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Show.It will be at the Smithfeild Elks in Smithfeild R.I.If you need more Information on the Steel Show contact President Tony Palmer at ribrass@aol.com or Vise President Elaine
Ellis at manysteel@aol.com
sam White
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 4:33 pm    

DIRECTIONS TO THE RHODE ISLAND STEEL GUITAR SHOW

FROM THE SOUTH

I-95 NORTH TO I-295 NORTH TO EXIT 8-B GO TO THE RIGHT AT END OF EXIT.GO TO THE SECOND TRAFFIC LIGHT AND TAKE A LEFT THAT IS ROUTE 116 FOLLOW TO THE END AND TAKE A RIGHT.THE ELKS LODGE IS ABOUT 3/4 OF A MILE ON YOUR LEFT.

FROM THE NORTH

I-95 SOUTH TO I-295 SOUTH TO EXIT 8-B GO RIGHT AT END OF EXIT. GO TO THE SECOND TRAFIC LIGHT AND TAKE A LEFT THAT IS ROUTE 116 FOLLOW TO THE END AND TAKE A RIGHT THE ELKS LODGE IS ABOUT 3/4 OF A MILE ON YOUR LEFT.

SAM WHITE

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 05 April 2004 at 05:35 PM.]

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2004 5:13 am    

up
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 4:09 pm    

I guess there are no comments either that no one seems to care.
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 1:57 pm    

The RISGA annual steel show is an nice laid back type of show, with mostly local performers, although some well known players have been invited.
We also have a great backup band led by Mike Ihde on guitar.
If you've never been to Rhode Island, or heard our local players, this is a good excuse to do so, and at a very nice hall with food and drink available all day.
For more information visit our website www.risga.com
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 5:30 am    

It is true that the show is laid back and a lot of fun. The Elks is a nice hall with atmosphere in a rural location in Smithfield, R.I. In the past, we have been blessed wirh performers like Jim Cohen and Dana Flood.
Manny Escobar
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 12:56 pm    

I'm looking forward to playing there, and my wife, Darlene is anxious to sing. So,don't miss the show (not because of us), these guys are great and they have a dedicated club.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 4:50 pm    

Thank you Tony, Manny, and John for your response.I will be there also all the way from Mooresburg Tennessee.Also it is final we just bought a home in Oxford Maine and I will be living about 2 miles from Merle Record.He will be comming down for the steel show as he comes about every year.He is the only steel player in that area so i will make the 1/2.That will be great 1 and 1/2 steel players in one area.Ha.I will be able to make all the R.I. Steel Guitar Meetings. Manny don't forget that Jerry Fessenden has been to just about all our shows as has Mike Ihde, Frank Caruso, Sammy Gibson also Doug Beaumier has been there too.I think Larry Bevins Jerry Fessenden's, Anna and My freind will be down from Montpielier Vermont. You have to hear Larry Play and sing. He looks and sounds like George Jones. We became freinds when we lived in Vermont.Anna and I use to go and see his band just about every week end.Just (4) more weeks and the Steel Show.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 17 April 2004 at 05:31 AM.]

John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 4:53 pm    

dang, I will be away- maybe next year (like the Sox?)

[This message was edited by John McGann on 16 April 2004 at 06:24 PM.]

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2004 4:40 am    

To bad John you will be missing a great steel show.It is a great time that we have and all good freinds.I want everyone to Know that Manny Escobar is the cause of me starting the Rhode Island Steel Guitar assoc.. He said to me and two other freinds why don't you guys start a Steel Guitar show. Well it went on and on and no one started anything going.I told my wife Anna that I would run one to see how it goes.Well from then on it took off and here we are a great Orginization and a bunch of great people.
Sam White
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 4:01 pm    

HI OLE SILVER AWAY
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 7:51 am    

JUST TWO WEEKS FROM THIS SUNDAY AND THE FUN AND ENJOYMENT WILL BE IN RHODE ISLAND
SAM WHITE
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 8 May 2004 5:06 am    

One week from tomorrow will be another one of the Best steel Shows you could ask for with great North east steel players.R.I. has some great steel players and I will list a few Tony Palmer , Manny Escobar , Lenny Amaral
Sam Gibson,Dana Flood, Mike Ihde,Frank Caruso
Roger Trahan,Jimmy Sprauge,Harry Teachman,Doug Beaumier,Jerry Fessenden,and many more.
Sunday May 16th that is one week from Mothers day.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 08 May 2004 at 06:09 AM.]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 5:21 am    

Sammy,You must Love Lobster I don't blame you for moving to Maine. The Rhode Island show has a great line-up of New Englands great Players.Players that could play anywere with anyone. Wish I could make this one.Have a great show,actually this is a can't miss.

------------------

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 6:26 am    

The littlest state in the country with their very own steel guitar show...who would have thought? Come on up (or down) to Little Rhody and hear some fine steel guitar this Sunday afternoon! You'll be glad you did! www.risga.com
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 2:29 pm    

Tony; The littlest state in the country has always been one of the biggest suporters of true Country Music.A lot of big names have come from little Rhody....Take Jimmy Crane for instance, a great songwriter.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 4:33 pm    

Thanks Joe you should try to make one of the Rhode Island shows.I have been to a lot of Seel shows and Jams down here in the Southern states and there are alot of great players down here and the Boys in Little Roady will give them a run for there money.It is the smallest state but our hearts are for the Steel Guitar.Tony Palmer is the new President and is doing a great job at keeping it going.See you guys Sunday at one of the best steel shows going.I will be leaving Thursday to make sure I have time to make it to the Steel Show.HUH yer right I will be there in 12 hours from Mooresburg TN.One more thing we closed on our home in TN.today. Now we go to Maine next Friday and close there on our new home.Merle Record and Cartwright Thompson will be comming to the R.I. Steel Show.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 11 May 2004 at 05:38 PM.]

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 17 May 2004 12:39 pm    

Well, it might not have been the biggest show, but we had a huge amount of fun!
Excellent steel playing by the "unknown"
steel players from our area (we'll see about changing that!) and a special visit from John DeMaille and his wife, Darlene, who livened it up with a great performance.
It was fun to hear John cut loose on the jam session at the end...we could have gone on for another hour!
A pleasant surprise was finally getting to hear Merle Record play, who came down from Oxford, Maine to attend, but we convinced him to play instead! What a crowd pleaser..lot's of nice compliments.
Roger Trahan not only played a superb set but sang a couple of songs, too. He could front a band just as a singer. The crowd loved him!
You'll hear his name come up a lot in the future, you'll see....
Thanks to Ron Comtois, Manny Escobar, Steve Todd, Vinny Doyle and of course, Sam White who founded our organization and drove all the way up from Tenn. to play.
They all turned in exceptional performances.
Thanks to all who performed and attended.
John De Maille

Post  Posted 17 May 2004 5:10 pm    

Thank you Tony, and all of the rest of the R.I. steel club members, for inviting Darlene and me to your show. We had a "great time". Your warmth and appreciation was truly felt. All of the steel players played wonderfully and had great spirit.The jam at the end was a real "hoot". So many different approaches to the same tune. Really cool!! Also, I must commend the backup players. Very top notch and proffessional. Can't wait to plat it again.
Sincerely,
John
John De Maille

Post  Posted 17 May 2004 5:14 pm    

That should have said- Can't wait to PLAY it again!! Sorry !!!
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 18 May 2004 10:34 am    

Tony, Good job with the show. We had an intimate audience that responded with great enthusiasm. Thanks again to the performers like John and Darlene, Merle, Sam and Anna, who had to travel a long way.
Also, we had great back-up from Mike Hyde, Sandy Martin and Jim Cordeiro. A special thank you to Vice President Elaine Ellis for providing the P A, emergency back-up on bass,(while Sandy was lost), helping Tony Palmer coordinate the show, playing bass on my set, and being a "cop" during the jam at the end.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 11:10 am    

Like Tony and the rest of the guys said it was not the biggest but it was the best.I would drive all the way up again for another steel Show but now I will only have to drive down from Maine.Yes Merle Record did a great job and I will be spending a lot of time with him so I can play like him.It can only get better as time goes on.As the Founder of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association I will help in any way to keep things going and to make it better each and every time. Great Job by everyone involved.Everyone was just great in what they done.Tony keep your chin up brother things will get better and better.Just like playing a steel you get better and better.
Sam White
Merle Record

Oxford, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 3:13 pm    

Playing this show was a real treat. Tony and the whole gang was so good to me. I didn't really plan on playing but when I learned that several players couldn't make it, I had a different outlook. Playing with Mike Ihde, Sandy Martin and Jim Cordeiro was a pleasure. If there's a show next year, count me in for sure. Merle
Richard E. Lee

Macedon, NY, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 6:02 pm    

Sam, I'm glad Merle had this opportunity to play your show and get the recognition he deserves. John/Darlene..Now you can see why I made the comment to Bob M..that I did. "Don't let this guy (Merle) fool you with his shy/layback demeanor"... he can play with the best of them". There are a lot of people who would love to hear Merle perform at your show in Conn. show in November. There is a lot of untapped talent in that guy...and a real gentleman to boot.