| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mid 90's Mullen P/U's Preference
Dave Goodman

San Antonio, TX, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 5:00 am    

Mid 90's Mullen players: What p'u's do you prefer, if you have tried any different ones besides stock?
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 6:09 am    

I play a pre-RP that Del built for me in 1997. I've tried several "after market" pickups over the years and have always gone back to the original single-coil that Dixie Mullen made for the guitar.

Having said that, though, I have finally found a humbucker that I really do like, as much as the original. I'm using a BL-712 (12-string version of the BL-710) and I love it. For a humbucker, it is an extremely bright-sounding pickup, at least on my guitar. It really cuts through the mix on the bandstand and it's quiet. No hum.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Dave Goodman

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 7:33 am    

Thanks Lee. Mine is 97 also. Anyone else?
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 11:34 am    

I've got a 94 with the original single coil. I really think it sounds wonderful.
Dave Goodman

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 1:19 pm    

Steve: Not that there's anything wrong with mine-sometimes my thinking ain't quite right I guess. Appreciate your response. Just wondering if anyone has tried something they like better.
Raymond White

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 4:18 pm     mullenp/u ;s versus others,

I have owned (2) Early 90;s year model guitars,the stock P/U;s sounded great,I also tried ,the L 910,the Geo L 10/1 they all sounded great,it is just a matter of personal taste,anyway you can:t make a MULLEN GUITAR,sound bad,in my opinion they are the best playing and sounding guitars,that i have ever or will own.With Many REGRETS,i traded my last one a (93) model,for a Derby,could anyone Imagine that?We Live and learn,when you have the best ,WHY try the Rest?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 10:44 pm    

FWIW, I tried a 10-1 in a 95 D10. I tried tweaking it for a few hours, It was ok, I guess. It did take care of the hum, but I could never make it sound as sweet as Mizz Dixie's single coil so I ended up putting the original back in.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 6:05 am    

Jerry - I did have a 12-1 for a while. Never could dial in the sound I wanted to hear. For a humbucker, I'm very happy with the BL 712.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 8:19 am    

I have a 1989 black mullen,and a 2004 RP, both have single coils. A couple of years back I bought a electro-harmonix Hum Debugger after reading about it here on the forum. I have used it more than once on giges where the the hum was to much and it works. I use the normal setting, the strong setting seams to effect the tone up the neck. I love the sound of thoses single coil PUs.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 9:00 am     p/u's

Some of the best sounding Mullen's I've played and listened to had Truetones.
Pete Macomber

San Francisco, California
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2009 9:52 am    

I have a George L E-66 in my Mullen pre-RP sd-10. It sounds very good to my ears.

Pete
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2009 2:24 pm    

Pete, I just got a Mullen SD10 and put a George L 66 in it as well. Sounds great! I did like the warmer tone of the original Mullen PU, but it picked up a lot of hum and didnt have much output. I bought the guitar used and the plastic seat around the pickup was cracked, so it may have been lowered previously too much. I had to do some work shaving the inside tabs off the 66 to fit, since Mullens have just three set screws (2 on one side, 1 on the other). Also the extra height of the bolts had to be trimmed so it would sit about a quarters height below the strings. Now the guitar has noticeably brighter, hotter output with no hum at all. Im keeping the original pickup in case I feel like returning to the stock Mullen sound in the future.
Billy Morgan

Talladega, Alabama
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 11:15 am    

I have a 94 SD10 Mullen, Black Mica and I've tried the stock pickup and a George L 10-1, But when I put in a Truetone (wound to 18,000)the guitar came to life. All of the pickups sound good but I have to agree with Billy Carr that Truetones sound awfully good in a Mullen.