| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB Custom
Bennie Hensley

Yakima, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 12:25 pm    

I know a guy that has a ZB Custom D10 with 8 floor pedals and 2 knee levers, it looks a lot like the one Derrick Frank posted a picture of except it is a double neck (same color). It has volume control and tone knob between the necks.The serial number is 0444. I can buy it for $900.00. Any comments on this guitar?? Thanks.
Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 12:49 pm    

Hmmm, buy it or send me the guys number....
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 12:59 pm    

Hi Joe,

I am interested too.

417-468-2102

Terry Wood
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 2:37 pm    

Benny,

Look at the top of the guitar, then take a good, long look at the undercarriage. ZBs are...well, different.

After that, it's your call.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 3:10 pm    

IF its in good shape then thats a decent price. Plan on $360.00-$500.00 at a minimum of work to set it up with two more knee levers and regulation.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 3:30 pm    

That's probably a good price ...if it's in good shape. However, whether or not it's the guitar for you depends on what kind of a player you are, and on who your "idols" might be. If you like old vintage stuff, and are into early Brumley, Zane Beck, Gene O'Neal, Jerry Garcia, and Red Rhodes, it may be just the right axe! On the other hand, if you're into more modern mechanics with lotsa changes, and groove on players like Paul Franklin, Tommy White, and Hal Rugg, you'd probably want something with more capabilities.
Alien
Bennie Hensley

Yakima, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 3:58 pm    

Thanks to all of you for your response, the guitar is in really good shape and it also has a hard case with it...I am what you would call "just a steel player" nothing fancy but can get by. I have a D10 GFI with 8 pedals and 5 levers.I am looking for a second guitar that I can leave at the church and not have to pack it in and pack it out twice a week...
Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 5:42 pm    

i'd buy it...seems like a good price...and if you don't l iike it there are plenty of zb nuts on this forum who would take it from you...my two cents...
Scott Hiestand

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 4:32 am    

Bennie

I love my ZB, it has amazing tone. But as others have said, it really is a "different animal".
They are not fun to adjust/work on, although with patience it certainly can be done. Since you'll undoubtedly have to put a few hundred into it, now you are up to around the $1500.00 ballpark. If you really just want to have a second steel to leave at church, and you are used to your GFI with more modern "easy" mechanics, a ZB may not be to your liking. Most guys who seek out a ZB are after a specific, "retro" look and more importantly, sound. If those things aren't important to you you may want to pass. On the other hand...you may love it and wind up being a ZB "convert". Just something to think about.

Also, they weigh a ton, so if you are going to "leave" a guitar somewhere set up, the ZB is a great choice! Laughing
Bennie Hensley

Yakima, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 5:52 am    

I think I probably will pass on buying this guitar, for those that are interested the guitar is on consignment at Taylor music in Yakima. Gary Taylor is the owner of the store. The number to the store is 509-453-7194. Once again thanks for all the responses.