| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Getting started north of Boston
Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 4:49 am    

Hey everybody,

Been telling myself for years I was going to learn pedal steel - but for one reason or another, it's never quite happened. I've been a guitarist for as far back as I can remember, went to college up here in Boston for classical guitar (New England Conservatory), played professionally for about 5 years or so (not classical) - but now finally I have some time to dedicate to learning pedal steel!

So after some searching around, everyone seemed to point here as the "place to be" if you want to get involved!

So I guess here are my challenges, and if anyone has any input at all, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

1. I need to find an instrument. As you can imagine, there aren't a TON of shops with a good selection of Pedal Steels up here in MA. So I am planning a trip down to Nashville with my wife in the next month or so, hopefully to check out Bobbe Seymour's shop! (and even more hopefully to come home with something).

2. I need to find a teacher. I put out some feelers to my contacts back at NEC, but haven't gotten much response. Does anyone know of any good teachers north of Boston (or even in Boston)?

Like I said, I am brand new to this - but very very excited to be getting involved. And this seems like a great community here. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

- Michael Witwicki

Oh, and as an aside - as a full time gig I own a web development shop specializing in PHP - so if the community here ever needs any help with code for the site, feel free to hit me up - I'd be glad to pitch in where time allows.
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 5:55 am    

Hi Michael, and welcome to pedal steel! You might want to check out the "links" at the top of the screen. There are a couple of stores in Massachusetts. And there are also listed ar links to instructors. Among them is Doug Beaumier. It might be worth while giving him a call. Even if he is not in Boston, he might be close enough to make a short day trip to see what he could share as far as instruments go.

I also wanted to mention that if you're going to Nashville, you might want to stop by Billy Coopers Music store in Virginia and it wouldn't necessarily be out of your way. I have no direct dealings with them, but I know they do typically have a number of instruments in stock, new and used that you could check out, and compare that to what you see in Nashville.

Good luck!!

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 6:16 am    

Hi Michael,Welcome from Alabama,I've allways thought [just my opinion] being a guitar player REALLY helps in learning the steel,I was a pro guitar player yeaaaars before I even touched a steel,Applied a LOT of my guitar knowledge to steel,gave me a headstart.If it's hard to find a teacher there is lots of great learning aids from the venders here on the forum,also the guys here on the forum will help you,If I can EVER help in anyway feel free to e-mail me,Good luck and happy picking. DYK?BC.

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 6:58 am    

Hey Michael. I am in Boston as well. I am also a former guitar player. I ahvent found a teacher yet but I have found a lot or information on this site. Theres some good videos and books to get you started. I probably wont take a lesson until i get the basics down, which could take a while.I bought a used Zum Stage One from someone on the forum and it is a great guitar. New they are around a grand. Simmons was also recommended to me. I also have a degree in music and the theory knowlege has been quite useful. It has made things much easier for me.
I have the Winnie Winston book, the homespun video by Bruce Bouton, and Mickey Adams book/video. All or which i highly recommend !

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 7:06 am    

There are some great steel guitars for sale, different setups and varying prices, right here on the forum. From student to pro models.. You can also find great instructional material at the links at the top of the forum....
Hook

Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 7:15 am    

Hi everyone!!!

I can't thank you enough for getting back to me on this stuff!! It looks like with regards to instruction, my best bet is going to be to look at the print/video stuff available through the site. It's just so foreign to me because there are SO many great guitarists up here to learn from - I have always based my education on working with people! This will actually be a nice challenge for me, and maybe later on once I have the basics down - it will warrant a trip out to someplace further away for a few lessons or something.

With regards to buying an instrument - because I am SOOO incredibly green when it comes to pedal steels, I really want to make the effort to go out and see some in person (I've never even had my hands on one). Being that there is SO much variation in styles/setups - I think having a vendor there with me to walk me through the benefits/unique characteristics of each will be immeasurably helpful!

And I am SO glad to hear that at least some of my guitar/theory will ease in the transition! I had a feeling it might, but you never know!

And Karen, I saw that you are/were playing at the Gulu Gulu in Salem MA! That place is fantastic, great food, great people and great music! Let me know the next time you will be around Salem and i'll come introduce myself and check out the show!
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 7:27 am    

I will let you know. I actually play bass in 2 local bands. One is an alt country band. We have a steel player who sometimes plays with us, you can find him on the forum his name is Ben Edmonds. He lives in Amherst. Great guy, great player.
One thing I like about my Stage One steel is that it comes with 3 pedals and 4 knees. Some of the other student models only come with one or two knees.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 9:45 am    

In the way of course material. There are several around, but as a newbie myself, I would highly recommend investing in one or more of the Jeff Newman courses. They may seem a bit pricey, but they are worth evey penny. Although there are a number of his courses, there are 2 or 3 which would be very useful starting out: Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques, Right Hand Alpha, and Up From The Top. They cover a fair amount of very basic stuff and help establish some useful techniques. Those are available on DVD and also include a set of tabs to follow along with the video.

-Chuck

p.s. - There is a link to the Jeffran website in the links from the forum website. You have to call and talk to Fran to actually order anything. She likes handling the ordering the old fashined reliable way.
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 10:25 am     North of Boston

Hi Mike,
I think you'll be able to find plenty of help locally as there are many knowledgeable and talented people in the area. It might take a while to get to know them. look up Tommy Cass, Doug Beaumier, Frank Carruso, Herb Hooven to name a few. Jerry Fessenden is a hop, skip & jump from you. Good luck.
Jay Y.
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 12:28 pm    

I will add my name to the list of those recommending lessons by Doug Beaumier, who teaches out of Downtown Sounds in Northampton, MA. I took lessons from Doug for several years, and he is a very talented and organized player and teacher (and a heck of a nice guy). Even one lesson every couple of weeks is a good way to get started. He tends to be highly booked, though, so it may be tough to get on his schedule right away.

And Tommy Cass is an excellent resource for pedal steel work (set-ups, repairs, etc.), especially older Emmons push-pulls.
Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 12:49 pm    

Thank you guys SO much!! I am have sent Doug Beaumier an email and hopefully he will have some space! North Hampton is only about 2 hours from my place - so making lessons shouldn't be TOO terrible of a drive!
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 2:58 pm    

Michael, you are on your way Smile
Chris Morrison

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 4:02 pm    

Hi, I'm also a steel newcomer, also from Metro Boston, just outside of Cambridge. ...and I also have guitar/dobro and music theory background and definitely agree that they help! OTOH, I'm enjoying learning the different right hand technique (from dobro). The parallels and contrasts between instruments are fascinating.

I too found Jeff Newman's "Right Hand Alpha" extremely useful -- it's the only place I've found a _complete_ explanation of palm blocking and general right hand strategy. He mentions pick blocking but doesn't go in to it at all, explaining that it's a subject for another time. I'll have to try some of his other lessons!

Bruce Bouton's DVD, Winnie Winston's book, DeWitt Scott's "Pedal Steel Guitar Method" (Mel Bay) are my current mainstays, as I close in on having played steel for two whole months Very Happy

Last edited by Chris Morrison on 9 Jun 2009 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 4:07 pm    

You should contact Mike Ihde, who is on the guitar faculty at Berklee School of Music in Boston and who teaches (and plays very well) pedal steel (and lap steel). Right in your old stomping grounds. Call him up! Or do a Forum search on his name and you'll be able to send him an email through the Forum.
Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 4:08 pm    

Great to meet your Chris! Kind of funny, I think it's the very FACT that steel seems so different that is drawing me to it so strongly. I love playing my Collings, I love playing my 335, I love all the others - but at the end of the day...they are all guitars. I think after so many years of playing, I'm looking forward to having a slightly different medium on which to create, you know?
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 4:32 pm    

I was pretty much where you are about a year ago. I would try to line up a teacher first. A good teacher has helped many a newbie find a good instrument. While actually visiting a steel dealer would be a great experience for sure, I don't see it as necessary. A year in, I'm just beginning to think I could actually evaluate a pedal steel. What you need is a steel that mechanically works. Almost any mainstream steel built in the last ten years will probably do ok for you.

A Stage One would be a great place to start, but you WILL want a pro PSG soon, especially if you are used to 335 and Collings quality.

Oddly enough, I kind of like the challenge of struggling on a new instrument.

Be prepared to realize that maybe all your great guitar amps will leave something to be desired for PSG, unless you happen to have a Twin. Good luck.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 5:05 pm    

Oh, and Mike Ihde can also advise you on purchasing a steel; he might even know someone who wants to sell a good one locally.
Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 5:09 pm    

Oh man, I didn't even THINK about amps. I am playing through a Fender Vibrolux these days...how will that hold up?
Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 5:22 pm    

Ok, now i've emailed Mike Idhe as well! Looks like there are more resources locally than I expected!!! I'll keep you guys posted, but I do agree that a teacher is really the first place to start.
Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2009 7:08 am    

Hey everyone! I heard back from Doug Beaumier and am planning to head out to get some initial instruction even before I buy my first psg. He was very very nice - and I can't thank you enough for pointing me in his direction!

Oh, and here are a few shots of my Collings that I have been talking about (and quite frankly am in love with). I picked it up in the best guitar shop in MA...the Music Emporium...if you are ever in the area, do yourself a favor and check it out.

[/img]

Booyant, Inc | creative web technology
www.booyant.com

1976 MSA S10 Classic
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2009 4:45 pm    

Quote:
1. I need to find an instrument. As you can imagine, there aren't a TON of shops with a good selection of Pedal Steels up here in MA.

It would be worth it for you to spend a day in Billy Cooper's steel shop, in Orange, Virginia. He has the largest selection of any steel store in the world.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2009 8:20 pm     Hola

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum...thats a beautiful acoustic man. Doug will be a great asset for you. Hes a wonderful player, with a wealth of experience to share...Mickey in Dallas
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Andrew Noecker

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 6:13 am    

I am another interested beginner in your area, well sort of (Nashua, New Hampshire). I am interested in seeing what you come up with for your first pedal steel. I am planning a trip to North Carolina this summer, and hope to check out Billy Cooper's in Orange, Virginia on the way.

That is an amazing looking acoutic guitar you have there. you are right about the Music Emporium in Lexington, we bought my wife an acoustic there.
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 1:13 pm    

Michael,

Welcome to the world of steel guitar!

The Gang is giving you some good tips: Mike Ihde, Jerry Fessenden.

Doug Beaumier teaches and sometimes, I believe, has some steels. But a friend of mine in your position called Tommy Cass, ace steel repariman, and Tommy fixed him up with a decent Marlin last year.

Shoot Tommy a call. See what he's got.

And if you are near Prov., give me a call or e mail.

Chris
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 1:36 pm    

John McGann is another local teacher who can help get you going. He's a professor at Berklee but also teaches in Chestnut Hill.

john [AT] johnmcgann.com