| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone used a Boss BR 1180?
Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2009 6:42 pm    

i just bought a boss br 1180 and was wondering what you think of it and if anyone has used one? I am completely new to this....and the manual is thick! LOL
Michael Douchette's Franklin; Sho~Bud Fingertip D12; Sho Bud S10 6139 Serial #2911;1973 Fender Twin Reverb Silverface; Fender Cyber Twin; VZ Custom Telecaster; Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst; Epi DOT; Copley Acoustic; Copley Acoustic Bass; Hammond E311 Organ; 1941 Chickering Baby Grand Piano, formerly owned by John Prine; 1921 Chickering Baby Grand 100th Anniv Quarter Grand
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 12:10 am    

Jamie, I do not have an 1180 but lots of experience with Boss products, I think they are great and very easy to use.

I did use the much earlier version, BR-8 and they are built on the same operating system . These are very simple systems to use and don't worry about the "thick" manual , just concentrate on recording to one track, then another , then another, etc....These Boss products are exceptional when it comes to building songs one track at a time.

Just keep in mind that analog recording uses 0DB as the peak reference and you can exceed that line without saturation, with digital recording you cannot exceed 0 DB so use -6DB as your peak reference and do not exceed 0DB or you will experience the nasty digital saturation.

good luck.

t

T
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 4:20 am    

Hey Jamie, I see that you haven't had to many posts here so I thought I'd add a little more for ya. Just like Tony mentioned Boss recorders are great and are no the best all around recorders for the money in my opinion. I have had a few different Boss recorders the last being a BR-600 and they are basically all the same with just minor differences.

The 1180 is a really nice unit with all of the bells and whistles you will probably need to get great quality recordings. One note worth mentioning are the effects in all of the Boss recorders. They are really a high quality effects and are all based on the high dollar Roland and Boss effects and sound very good especially for the price you pay for the recorders.

Most folks that use the Boss recorders can do the complete project with the Boss units as long as they have CD burners included and it seems to me that yours does have one or at least I think that's an option so if it does they are pretty much made to be a stand alone unit from beginning to end with mastering effects to make your final mix sparkle and even out the hot spots.

If you will check yahoo groups at www.yahoogroups.com you will find a Boss users group with lots of help with the Boss recorders just search the groups for the 1180 and join to get lot's of help with it!

Good luck!!

Bob

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2009 5:09 am    

Jamie,

I use the Roland 2480, which is a cousin to the Boss products. Yes, the manuals are thick, and probably don't make a lot of sense to you, if you're new to this. I suggest that you locate a video manual...try ebay, or rolandus.com, or vsplanet.com. The video will get you started, and once you get in the groove of how this works, you'll be able to run with it. These things are so good, and are much higher technology that the best studios of the 60's.

I will warn you that once you learn how to make your own music, start to finish, it becomes very addictive...but you could be addicted to much worse. I did two complete CD's with my setup, and played all the instruments and did all the vocals (used BIAB for the drums. You can hear samples on my web site.

Good luck, and have fun.