| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Austin steel guitarist Steve England passes on
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 May 2009 8:24 pm    

Austin steel guitarist Steve England, well known here in town, passed away on Tuesday May 5 from the effects of liver disease. Steve was a good guy and leaves behind a great woman, his wife Ruth. Many of y'all may have seen Steve attending the shows in St. Louis and Dallas.

Ruth has asked me to help her dispose of some of Steve's equipment, and I will be posting the ads in the appropriate forum sections when I get photos up. Among the guitars are an Emmons P/P, a Mullen, a Stringmaster, a Fender Custom, and other cool things.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 5:30 am    

While I didn't know Steve well, I did have the chance to talk to him several times and this is such a stinkin' loss Sad ~ so sorry to learn of his passing.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 5:47 am    

I am very saddened by this. Steve was someone who I considered a friend - we always made a point of hanging out together at the conventions, and I met up with him and his wife at Jovitas in Austin when I was there. A very bright and interesting man, with a quirky sense of humour that I always enjoyed.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 9:48 am    

Too sad. I remember him from a few TSGA shows.
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 1:35 pm    

So very sorry to hear this; like Bob, Steve became a friend through the Dallas and St. Louis shows and we always had a fine time...good memories...here's a pic of Steve (on left) and Charlie McCardell after one of our treks to enjoy the fine dining at the Eat-Rite Diner in St. Louis:

Godspeed Steve...
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 4:04 pm    

Sad news. I spent some time with Steve at the last TSGA Show. I always enjoyed Steve's humor and company, and I will miss him.
Chuck
Joe McHam

Houston, TX * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 7:29 pm     Steve

Our thoughts and prayers are with Steve's wife Ruth and his family during this time. I am saddened by the loss of another steel guitar community member. There's too many that have left us.
Peavey Vegas Amp.
Casio PG-380 midi guitar
Ham Radio WA5OKT
Private Pilot SEL
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 7:35 pm    

I always enjoyed running into Steve at the shows and chatting with him. I'm sorry to hear of his sudden passing. My condolences to his family.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2009 8:16 pm    

I met Steve through Neil Flanz in St. Louis in '06. So sad. My condolences to his wife and family members.
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 3:39 pm    

Another dear Austin friend gone. Ruth has been my chauffer a couple times and they were both part of the Thursday lunch group.
Dennis Atkins

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 7:08 pm    

Boy, I am shocked. I was just thinking about Steve the other day. My fiances son and daughter in law are moving to Ft. Worth-Dallas area this August, and we were going down with them to help get them settled. While we were there, I was going to look up Steve, and revisit with him.

I met Steve when he came up to the Minneapolis area some years ago. We reconnected a few times in St. Louis and Dallas, and it was always a pleasure to see him. So sorry to hear of his sudden passing.

Herb, please extend my best wishes to his family.

I will be in Ft. Worth-Dallas during the first couple of weeks in August, and will be going to Austin and San Antonio as well during that time. I hope to connect with you Herb at that time.

Again, condolences to the England family, and may God give them peace and comfort at this time.

Dennis
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 8:41 pm    

RIP Steve. We will miss you. Jody.
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 11 May 2009 8:13 am    

That is sad news. Steve was a nice guy and will be missed. I sold him my D10 Red Mullen several years back that I had bought from Skip Pilgrim. Prayers are sent for his family.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 11 May 2009 12:35 pm    

This has been a tough week in Austin.. I met Steve at a Ricky Davis seminar a few years ago, he was a hard guy not to like. My condolences to the family..
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2009 5:09 pm    

My Gosh; what a loss....Steve had a great big Heart and a very sharing guy and would give you the shirt off his back.
We'll miss you Steve and your Passion for music; that was as big as your Heart.
We'll miss you; but we'll never forget you.
Ricky
Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 12 May 2009 2:02 pm    

My Condolences to his family and friends, These good steelers are leaving us all to soon. such a loss.
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 May 2009 1:52 pm    

Herb, Sorry to hear about your friend Steve. Seems to me we may have met in St. Louis. May he rest in peace. Loveya "Bro", Bobby
Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 May 2009 3:17 pm    

Please see in Event Announcements about the Life Celebration for Steve at Antones, May 31. You can message me with any questions, too.
Kevin Bell

Spain
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2009 5:31 pm    

Where do i start ? Steve England i heard has died ! That made me really sad when i heard it from my daughter. Steve, i met many years ago in London. He had been there on the punk scene 75=76ish before i ever got to Lundon. Later he was living in norf London and was doing things like a club called Redneck with Johanas Hagan which was followed by Son of Redneck, this was music London never knew much about or could hear anywhere else. Steve left England sometime in the 90' with his longterm partner Ruth for Austin Texas and did his passion and joy ! I last saw Steve in 2000 when i and my family visited Ruth and Steve in Austin where we had a brilliant time. Austin will be missing his English Cockney humour and music. Good bloke. Not an Austrailian.
Tottenham are still crap though.
My thoughts and love to Ruth in these sad moments.

KB

e. Steve
Mylos Sonka

Larkspur CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2009 12:36 pm    

Sad
Really sorry to hear about this. Johnny Cuviello and I met and played a little gig with Steve on one of our trips to Austin. He wrote some nice things about Johnny and me here on the forum. It was fun to hang out with somebody so crazy in love with our music and I looked forward to seeing him next time around.

Rest in peace.

Mylos Sonka
Jeremiah Wade

Bladenboro, NC
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2010 2:02 pm    

Steve was the steeler and I was the picker on Ernest Tubb's great nephew Lucky Tubb and the Modern Day Troubadours album "Damn the Luck". We had some great times traveling and gigin' together. There's some video from my swing band JWW and the Prospectors with Steve sitting in, the song is Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Search Google if you'd like to check it out. Steve was steeped in tradition and like myself could do without the watered down Bon Jovi style easy rock they're tryin' to pass for country music nowadays. I'll miss you and see down the road on the other side.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2010 2:19 pm    

I am going down to Austin in a couple of weeks and it saddens me that I won't be able to meet up with Steve - Jovita's just won't seem the same.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2010 3:28 pm    

I purchased Steve's triple neck Fender Custom last year after he passed. Recently, I did a gig with Lucky Tubb up here in the Woodstock area. I didn't know the history of Steve with Lucky, but when I found out Steve played with him I opened my case to show Lucky my guitar and he turned as white as a ghost. True story.

Bladenboro, NC
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2010 7:55 am    

Mike, I heard that story from Casey Gill after you sat in with them. The world gets smaller every day. Casey really enjoyed your pickin'. I played with Lucky for a year and a half. Steve passed away right before the summer tour with Hank III last year.