| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone using Digidesign 003 Pro tools?
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2009 7:58 am    

Well my writing partner is re-locating and he wants to continue writing and recording with me now here's the rub, he wants me to get Digidesign 003 factory bundle? I checked it out on ebay and there appears to be two versions a rack mount and then there is a console type with 8 faders which I believe you get 32 tracks plus all the virtual tracks. My question is how hard is the learning curve to using this system? Currently I've been recording with Roland VS2480 HD which has worked very well for me but not compatible with my partner's Pro-tools 8.0
Any ideas from anyone?

Cheers Oh Well

Billy Woo aka
Bronco Billy
David Winfrey

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2009 4:53 am     Digidesign 003

Billy,
The 003 is pretty straightforward and easy to use. It's just a firewire interface. Unless you really want to be able to physically move the faders I would recommend that you go with the 003 rack.
Now, Protools is another matter. It is the software that ties everything together and allows you to edit and mix your tracks. Unless you are a whiz at learning software, I'd recommend that you find someone near you who offers courses or seminars in Protools, or at least someone who can help you get started and answer questions as they arise (and they will arise).
At the very least get and study a good reference book for PTLE.
Protools is the best DAW software going and once you start to learn it you'll be amazed at the things you can do with it.
I'm pretty proficient with Protools and will be glad to answer any questions I can.
Good luck! Cool
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 10:53 am     Thanks David.

Hi there David, that's pretty much what I expected as my recording partner has Pro-tools 8.0 along with an automated mixing board, hard drive caddies for different projects etc. That book that you mentioned is of interest to me as well also I think you are giving me good advice on finding someone who knows how to get up and going, I know there are some Plug-ins involved anyway I just need to find out if there will be a commitment going once he moves before I make the plunge so there is time.

Cheers,

Billy Woo