| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Revelation Question,,,,stereo hook up ??
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 6:37 pm    

I was thinking of running my Revelation in stereo mode with my Lexicon MPX 100. I use a two channel rack amp into two 15" speakers.

What I am confused about is ,the Revelation has (one) effects send ?? and (two) effects return ??

The Lexicon has left & right inputs & left & right outputs. I run from the Revelation effects send to just one of the Lexicons effects inputs.

Just wondering if this is right ?

The Lexicon has a few stereo reverbs Etc,, but how would this be stereo with only one effects send from the Revelation,,,, would I use the tuner output on the Revelation as a second effects output ?

Just a little confusing to me,,,,help!!

New York NY
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 6:55 pm    

The Lexicon takes in the Rev's mono signal and returns 2 output signals. These may be identical, or they may be different depending upon how you program the Lexicon. On my Lexicon (an MPX1) you can, for example, have one of the return signals have all reverb, and the other be all delay; or you can have two different delays, etc. The Lex manual will explain all this, I'm pretty sure.

Once the 2 signals come back into the Rev, they are kept separate and are out-put to the 2 Rev final output jacks.

Rob
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 7:12 pm    

Hay thanks Rob, I think I understand it better now Very Happy
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 4:59 am    

Richard,

it's important to understand that although your Lexicon will accept a stereo input, since it's the only effects unit in the setup, the signal only needs the one mono input going to the unit. The audio isn't really "stereo" until the reverb makes the left channel a bit different from the right channel. That's the difference between dual-mono (the same signal thru two speakers) and stereo (slight variance from L and R channels giving the wide effect).

I will caution you about the Lexicon MPX100. It actually may not let you use both delay and reverb at the same time properly in the Rev's loop. You may need to connect it in series after the Rev. Some effects units will do the right thing, and others won't quite do it. Here's what you need from an effects unit:

The ability to run delay and reverb in "parallel"
The ability to run each of those effects at 100% wet at all times
The ability to control the relative level of each

The MPX1 and most all the TC units offer this. A number of the Lexicons will not allow this topology, and I believe the MPX100 is one of them. You can use it, but you'd be restricted to having the reverb and delay levels set at the same amount. That's why I don't recommend that unit. The problem is that if you want a setting with more reverb and less delay, as you turn down the delay mix, it actually begins to mix some dry signal back in, and this is what you must avoid with the Rev's parallel loop. You never ever want any dry signal coming back in the loop returns of the Rev. This is because the digital processor will make its dry signal a tiny tiny bit late due to the processor time. If you blend that "late" signal with the Rev's internal dry signal, that combination creates some ugly artifacts.

I hope this makes sense. When done right with the right effects unit, the parallel loop is the ultimate.

Brad
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 8:48 am    

Hi Brad

Love the Revelation Very Happy
I have the Revelation that has the Mid knob that can be pulled in or out for a rather lush tone adjustment.

Ok I understand what you are saying,,,thanks.

In your opinion, what would be a good stereo effects unit to use with the Revelation,,preferably,one of the Lexicon units,, love thier reverbs.

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 9:43 am    

Richard, if you just want to use reverb, then any of them will work. It's when you want a combination of delay and reverb simultaneously that the whole 100% wet, parallel routing factor comes into play.

Lexicon sure does have a great sounding reverb algorithm.

Brad
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 2:52 pm    

OK let me see if I have this now,,,,

I can ,for example,,use just the Lexicons stereo delay, adjust the delay time, the decay rate Etc, but the signal from the sum of that must be the max out put from the Lexicon going to the Revelation ?

In other words, I should not back off the output signal from the Lexicon,,,instead ,use the Effects knob of the Revelation to adjust the amount of effect to the power amp ??.

Heck ,Im not even sure the MPX100 has stereo reverb
it has stereo delay, but Im not sure about reverb.

But like you say Brad, the MPX 1 might not rout properly Crying or Very sad
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 2:59 pm    

The MPX-1 will indeed route properly. Buddy Emmons and Randy Beavers have had great success with that setup. It's just that it's a very tricky process of programming the routing paths and the 100% wet to dry mix factors. It sounds easy, but the MPX-1 causes headaches for most people who try to set it up this way. John Hughey avoided the issue altogether with his 3 Rev's and simply placed his MPX-1 after the Rev and not in the loop.

The deal with your unit is that it has to be "mixed" at 100% wet, absolutely zero dry signal coming out of the effects unit. Only the reverb effect or the actual delays, but not any dry signal.

And yes, you would most likely crank or nearly crank the Lex's output level, and then use the Rev's FX knob to blend in the right amount of effect.

But the critical factor is that any effect unit you use must NOT have any dry (unaffected) signal coming out of it.

Brad
Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 3:13 pm     Mpx1

I've got that setup that John Conyers helped with donwloading some very nice Steel Programs and walked me through the Revelation, Amp hookups, and yes it's tricky but the hookup he provided me with works great.
Bill
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 6:11 pm    

Thanks Brad for all the Info. I will work with it here & see what I can get Smile
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 5:38 am    

Quote:
The ability to run each of those effects at 100% wet at all times

Quote:

The MPX1 and most all the TC units offer this.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that even the TC Nova delay pedal allows for 100% wet operation.

IMHO for steel applications Brad Sarno and Gerry Walker implement an effects loop properly (like a send on a mixing console), in that you can avoid running the dry signal of your guitar through any effects device. This can have a significant impact on the sound, depending upon the quality of the effects unit involved. I remember back in the dark ages when I used a Quadraverb in an effects loop on a Peavey Vegas. You had to use the Quadraverb to mix your dry signal with the effect. I really thought the Quadraverb degraded the direct steel tone a lot. Glad those days are over!

It is also nice to see that more and more of the newer effects pedals such as the TC Nova series and the Digitech Hardwire series allow for line level operation, thus making them suitable for operation in an effects loop.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com