| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Push-Pull Pedal Replacement Question
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 3:46 am    

It seems like the late 70's/early 80's Emmons push-pulls either had the wide pedals or the narrower Legrande style pedals (e.g., my '78 D-10 has the wider version, but a friend's '80 has the Legrande). Has anyone switched out the LeGrande type pedals for the older, wider version? Can they simply be replaced, pedal for pedal, or is it necessarly to replace the whole pedal bar (or is it just not possible at all without significant pain/agita/tsuris)? thanks, mp
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 7:56 am     Emmons Pedal Replacement

Hi Michael,

You could replace the entire rack, which will mount up dimensionally. In other words, the pedal racks are interchangeable and the pedals will be in the correct position. The LeGrande style pedals are individually mounted with 2 screws on the pedal bar, while the original, cast style are mounted on a 1/2" dia. bar with brackets as an assembly. I happen to have an entire cast pedal assembly mounted on a pedal rack for a SKH LeGrande. It could be mounted on an existing LeGrande style bar for a PP but there would be 16 unused screw holes left on the bottom of the bar from where the other style pedals were mounted. Feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 25 May 2009 8:53 am    

The old wide pedals will only work if they're shaved down at the axle for close spacing, ala mid-late '70's-'80's p/p guitars(same as a new LG). There were 2 sets of pedal spacings involving the use of the wide pedals; old original wide and newer close spacing. Wide spacing was used up until mid-70's(earlier though for 9 or 10 pedal custom copedants: Buddy's "Blade" is a 67-68, 9 pedal guitar w/ wide pedals and close spacing)when the narrower cast pedal was introduced and the spacing between pedals decreased, facillitating more than 8 pedals and ease of installing multi-knee lever setups. LeGrandes offer the same close pedal spacing as those mid-late '70's instruments but you'd need to rework any such p/p-LG spaced pedal bar accordingly to accomodate the installation of the complete p/p type pedal assembly with its unique mounting method.
Emmons Guitars by Lashley Inc of Burlington,N.C. can make you a brand new old-style pedal rack for your guitar using the old wide pedals in close spacing. I would think that that is a better solution than to try to rework a p/p-LG rack to fit or such, opening up a can of worms. No extra holes then, as well as factory waranteed attention to the problem. I am a factory authorized Emmons repair station and would be happy to assist you in this if you'd like.
lmk, thanks.
sincerely,

MC
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 5:17 pm     Wide PP Cast Pedals

I'm not entirely sure but I assumed Michael was referring to cast pedals from a '78 PP which are narrower than the original "early" wide cast pedals that Emmons PP guitars were equipped with from the 60's throught the early 70's or so, as Mike Cass stated. Those cast pedals from a '78 Emmons are actually somewhat wider than the newer, extruded LeGrande pedals but the 2 3/8" nominal C/L spacing is exactly the same and is what is still used today. I own a '72 lacquer body D-10 with 8 "early" wide pedals and the "early" wide 2 3/4" spacing, so Emmons may have had an early body that they decided to use to build this one, as most of the guitars from that era, that I've run across at least, have the wide pedals with the narrow spacing. I'm sure Mike Cass has seen far more Emmons guitars than I have though.

STEEL GUITAR WEST

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 26 May 2009 7:49 am    

He said wide, so I went from there.........
Ive seen only a few stock 8 pedal guitars that featured narrow spacing w/wide pedals pre'74-75. Most before then were custom ordered from the factory for 9 or 10 pedals, such as "The Blade".
However they did do a run of wide/close around '73-'74 like your guitar Lynn, but they soon adopted the narrow cast pedal w/close spacing as the factory standard. Either way, I think Emmons Co. would be the folks to handle this work for him. A factory warrantee goes a long way these days Wink
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 8:31 am    

Thank you, gentlemen. The reason I asked is that I occasionally see an otherwise attractive late 70's or early 80's push-pull that has the Legrande style pedals, and was wondering what type of effort would be involved in changing them over to the wider pedals. As noted, I have a '78 p/p with 9 of the wider cast pedals (although it sounds like I have the "narrower-wider" version!) and it's very comfortable for me. I once owned a mid-90's Legrande, and was never able to get comfortable with the narrower extruded pedals. Appreciate the advice!
John McGuire

Swansea,Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 11:40 am    

I think but may be wrong that the question is are the pedal bars interchangeable. I have an SKH and a push/pull. can I swap pedal bars therefore putting Legrande pedals on my push/pull??
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 12:17 pm    

John,

The "short" answer Wink to your question is no, those pedal bars are not interchangeable because of the difference in body length, and because of that the leg spacing is different. I have a pedal bar with PP cast pedals that is the correct length for your SKH LeGrande though.

STEEL GUITAR WEST

John McGuire

Swansea,Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 10:16 am    

Thanks Lynn, I have no plans to do it, I just thought that be what the question was instead of swapping individual pedals. Very Happy