| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rains update
Des Hetherington

New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 11:07 pm    

Hi form New Zealand, Im wondering if anyone can tell me about the Rains Guitar update, Ihave an 2006 SD10 black Rains, its plays and sounds just beautifull, but im wondering what goes on with the updat that everyone is talking about? curious, cheers Des Hetherington

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 9:14 am    

Hey Anne, just had the update put on my Rains and it made it smoother than it was and it also improved the sound even though it has always sounded great. The update takes a little play out of the pedals and levers and makes it play easier and more positive. It's and upgrade that needs to be done by Gary and involves the dissasembly of the under carriage. Hope this help.---Henry

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 9:28 am    

What does it cost?
Fred Nolen

Mohawk, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 12:51 pm     Rains Update

I got my 2006 SD10 5x4 back from Gary this past Friday. It is like playing a different guitar. As mentioned, the pedal and k-levers are smoother, and the stops are rock solid. Gary changes quite a bit of the underneath hardware and adds some supports. The price, which I thought was very reasonable, depends on the number of pedals and levers. I think you will be pleased with the cost. I also had a new leather pad installed, which is a nice addition in itself. I shipped it from East Tennessee on May 13th and got it back on the 22nd. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the service, performance, and the cost. Gary Carpenter runs a customer oriented business - we don't see many of those any more.

Ol' Fred
Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 3:24 pm    

Hi Anne,

Here are some underneath pictures of my 2008 SD Rains. The compared to the older models, many of the cross bars have been cut in size, there is also a rubber stop that matches a notch in the longer bars. Also I think there is now a crossbar in the middle that connects the front and back cabinet.

I also had older Rains converted, it played great already now plays even better. It was a SD10 with 5 knees and 4 floor pedals.

/Users/gordonhartin/Desktop/Rains2.JPG
Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 4:34 pm    

Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 12:53 am    

My 05' Rains has the update but it was that way when I got it a couple months ago, so I cannot tell the exact difference. What I can tell you is that the black D10 I have now does play better and has much better tone than the 06' and 07' SD10's I had.

JW

New Zealand
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 12:52 am     Rains update

Hey thanx for the info, the only prob i have with me Rains SD10 is that the right lever pushed right seems a lot harder to push, esspecialy on the double stop, apart from that, its just gorgeous to play,such sweet sustain, My first steel was a late seventies Sho Bud Pro2 custom, which i brought off a good freind Paddy long here in New Zealand, That guitar just looked like a million dollars , beautifull tobacco birds eye mapel,i had it for 20 years then got a chance to buy the Rains, i dont miss the weight of the Sho Bud. so living in New Zealand would be really expensive to ship the Rains to Texas, probly be better to save some mula and get a new one with it already done, cheers for that.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 2:18 pm    

Des ..next time your over the hill bring the guitar around and I will 'tweak' that knee lever for you - it probably just needs to have the action set a little lighter by the sound of it! Very Happy a kg of whitebait can work wonders !!!!!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Des Hetherington

New Zealand
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 10:07 pm     Rains update

Paddy Mate, That would be fantastic if you could do that, the seasons getting closer, lol. How did the gig with Bourbon street gang go on sunday? would loved to have been there, was hoping for more snow to close the road home, but it never came, Cheers Des