| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp advice
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 2:48 pm    

Can anybody advise me as to the best amp for my new(used) Rickenbacker DW 16? I have a Nashville 112 which I like with my Georgeboards and Remington guitars. I have no experience with the horseshoe pickups but want to get the best sound I can out of the guitar. I am just far along enough in the steel world (2 years ) to want to try everything new I discover but I really don't know what I am doing.
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 3:14 pm     You just might want to..................

Your serious in this quest, one can tell.

I'd strongly suggest you visit a Music store with g'tar in hand and try each and every unit that is on the floor. All will produce a different sound that will change when you move the amp to another location.

With my 12 Rick's.......I've found a TUBE AMP will give me THE BEST SOUND. The Peavy solid state units just don't seem to offer the g'tar what it needs.

You should also be interested in trying OLD, 1935-1940's, tube amps....Harmony, Oahu' Rickenbacher, Fenders, etc. Smaller speaker size can produce amazing results. I get the bst sound out of a mid-1930's Volu-Tone and 10 inch Epiphone Electar; followed by an 8 inch Harmony and Oahu. The mid-60's-70's Fender twin reverb is also passable but NOT the NEW remake of that model.

Just my Rickenbacher opinion. GOOD LUCK to YOU!
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2009 6:04 am     amp advice

Thanks Ray, that is very good advice.
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2009 11:13 am     Rick. DW-16 D-8 Amp ??

Jim , That Rick. DW-16 D-8 with the re-maged horseshoe pkups is going to sound GREAT no matter what amp you plug her into !!! I have one and they are just a great sounding steel !!! Congrats and Good Luck !!!! Eddie "C"