| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for Help for a New Player in Orange, California
Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 12:51 am    

Taking the advice of John Billings, I am wondering if there is someone in or around Orange, California, near Anaheim, who could help out my 22 year old son Jay get started on his Steel.

I have just bought him a barely used Rogue, am sending him a small amp, Intelli 500 tuner, bars,finger picks and sets of New A6 and C6 strings, so he ought to be set up to start. One forum member suggested a place in Riverside but he does not have a car, so that's a bit far. He is quite intelligent, talented amd overall good fellow (afterall he is my kid). He is the head salesman and mechanic in an upscale bicyle store, so, in keeping with his job, he rides a bike to work. I guess he could carry the Rogue on his back in its bag.

Anyone out there? Please let us know.

Jim
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 4:39 pm    

What kind of playing does he want to learn: Basic Lap Steel, Console multinecked steel, Pedal Steel ?
What has he been listening to that might inspire him. What style, Hawaiian, Early Country, Western Swing, today's Country, Classic Country ?
Is his steel a six or eight string ?
Have him give me a call at 714/522-3721 in the afternoons. I live in Buena Park just of the 91FWY and Valley View.
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 8:23 pm    

Jim,

In case there is any problem, would like to help in any way I can at all. I live in Irvine and I work 9am to 6pm in Orange, normally Tuesdays. Contact by e-mail is best.

Billy, did not realise you lived close. We should meet!

Kay
JOZEF SMITH

WESTMINSTER - CA - USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 11:28 pm    

Give me a call at 714-898-2440. I live in Westminster
Aloha.
Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 8:38 am    

Wow, thanks to all you for stepping up and offering to help my son. I spoke to him yesterday and he is excited about playing the instrument.

As far as knowing what he wants to do, he really doesn't. Of course he is a child of his own age period of music, as I was at that age, but he is open to learning what it takes to be able to play. I will guess he is not really a modern country fan. I know he thinks Hawaiian and older Rock and Roll are interesting, and if he is anything like the rest of our family, will get into Jazz, Standards and Western Swing, pretty quickly.

The steel he has is just a simple six string lap Rogue. If he gets into it, I will get him a Dual neck eight string. While I would like him to stay with a non pedal steel, I cannot tell which direction he will end up in going, that's up to him.

The amp I have for him is a 15 watt tube amp with an eight inch speaker, it ought to do at first. I will get it together this weekend.

Right now we seem to be having a problem connecting on the internet, but, will have that worked out in the next few days. I will talk to him on the phone sometime today and will send along your offers. He probably won't get back to you until everything gets to him.

Thanks everyone. Jim