| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who's this steeler with the Great Ronnie Milsap?
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2009 8:35 pm    

Ronnie Milsap is without a doubt one of the best vocalist/musicians ever! I just don't see a great deal of his music discussed. So here we go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnVdpCJTBw
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 16 May 2009 8:52 pm    

Dicky Overby.
Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 6:39 am    

Hi Guys
Super singing and playing, though would you say the steel was slightly intruding and not complimenting Ronnie's superb singing ?
Unlike here where there is a masterful example of relevant and sympathic playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SatL8-ohp6g&feature=related
Barry

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 7:40 am    

I wouldn't say that at all. In fact the clip you played didn't seem "in the groove" to me. It was hard to tell if it was a shuffle beat or not. We've all got our opinions.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 8:51 am    

Barry - hi!

I sort-of know what you mean - the steel part is a wee bit over-the-top, yet I like it! Everything else is restrained and played so solidly that there's room for the steel to overdo it a bit.

I remember seeing that exact band at the London Palladium in, I think, 1974. Milsap was unheard of in Britain, but was there playing the support to Glen Campbell, who was, at that time, very big even in the UK.

Milsap just had the audience in the palm of his hand! We didn't know him, yet he and his band were such master-musicians that everyone responded to them. I even think Campbell - despite a huge orchestra and vocal-accompaniment - had a struggle to follow him.

I mention this because Dickie played the same type of fills throughout 'Pure Love' on that occasion. I didn't play steel at that point, but his control of the instrument made a big impression on me. I'm sure that Ronnie approved of what he played on the song and encouraged him to continue. Of course, it wouldn't do for more than one of the guys to play so indulgently, and Dickie only pulls it off because he's SUCH a good player!
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 11:16 am    

I liked the steel.

Rick, think of it as a cha-cha. Winking
Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 17 May 2009 12:48 pm    

The best steel EVER with Ronnie Milsap comes from some early RCA ballad cuts featuring the great John Hughey. These can be found on Milsap's first 3 or so RCA projects. For instance download, "Who'll turn out the lights" on one of the early RCA Milsap albums. TRENENDOUS, SOULFUL, playing by Mr. Hughey!
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 4:53 pm    

I've always loved that song. It's one of my favorite Milsap tunes. I think Mr. Overby is a wonderful picker; however, in my opinion the steel playing was a bit too "busy".
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 5:10 pm    

Ronnie WANTED Dicky to play JUST like that....he wanted the song spiced up LIVE; and nobody could do it like Dicky.
Ricky
John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 5:38 am    

I`m with Barry on this one the steel played on the Franklin thing was just what was required there IMHO and the delivery was supurb>>> When Paul stopped playing I just wanted more of that steel solo.
Dicky Overby is a great player but that was a little on the busy side (wish I could do it!!)
I saw Ronnie Milsap at Wembley London many years ago he stole the show!!fantastic performer always gets the best muso`s
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 6:09 am    

Stephen Gregory wrote:
The best steel EVER with Ronnie Milsap comes from some early RCA ballad cuts featuring the great John Hughey. These can be found on Milsap's first 3 or so RCA projects. For instance download, "Who'll turn out the lights" on one of the early RCA Milsap albums. TRENENDOUS, SOULFUL, playing by Mr. Hughey!

Okay, Ive had these two milsap albums for a while now, and the steeler is listed as Dick Overby, John Hughey, Lloyd Green and Pete Drake. i started a thread because i thought it all sounded like Hughey to me and was wondering why these four are creditied on both these albums (20/20 and night things). Thanks for confirming what I suspected....its Hughey.

why did they credit albums this way? with a team of steelers? i dont hear anyone but Hughey on these records...or maybe Im just not that good at discerning individual steelers and the others play on tracks too?

I Love the steel on these albums so much.
20/20 Vision and Night Things...both scored from the dollar bin.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 18 May 2009 6:30 am    

I'll agree that it was busy, but somehow it didn't seem to intrude on Ronnie's singing. Milsap is another example of the great classic artists that are being passed by these days.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 6:53 am    

I'm with you, Barry.

The vocal on the chorus is singing half-notes while the steel is playing tight flurries of 16th notes; I think it's an effective combination.

I wish I could do it that cleanly!

There's an early live album by Milsap that's not on CD, unfortunately, but is well-worth finding. Not to be confused with his much later live effort which is fine, but not a patch on the old one! Dickie is all over it and sounds great.

Ronnie is also a monster pianist, by the way. I love the way his eclectic influences (he's clearly a huge Ray Charles fan) are apparent whatever he's playing. A great musician who, while I'm sure he's getting a decent living, has been largely ignored for too many years. I mean - how good do you have to BE?????
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 7:30 am    

Ronnie's vocal control blows me away. So effortless
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 12:47 pm    

Hey guys,

I hope it's OK for a drummer to jump in here with all the musicians and give an opinion. No disrespect to Dickey, but I felt it was a little busy on Pure Love. If Ronnie wanted it like that though, he sure got the right guy to pull it off. I do prefer Dickey's more recent work, but again, that's just my opinion.

By the way guys, there is no shufflle or cha-cha in Pure Love, just up tempo straight 8's. Heartaches... now that's a shuffle. (much differant than original though, much more 4/4 feel). Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rhythm section thread.

JH
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 18 May 2009 2:12 pm    

I agree with Ricky on this; I'm sure that Ronnie runs his band his way.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 6:42 pm    

I think Ronnie kind of did himself in with the country crowd. I went to see him a few years ago, 2 keyboards, bass, drums, and guitar.....no steel and no fiddle...........and he only did maybe one real country song, and it didn't even sound country without the steel and fiddle. But, he sure did play the real stuff back in the seventies. Dicky was so good with him. The live album mentioned is a must have for country fans. Ronnie is one of my favorite singers of all time. I played a lot of bluegrass, and recorded several albums with his now deceased cousin Bill Millsaps from Robbinsville, NC. Ronnie's mother "Grace" is a minister there. I don't know if she's still alive or not.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 7:46 pm    

Hey Hartley,

I know that Pure Love is not a shuffle, (unless maybe in the back seat of a car) Laughing

I was referring to the video of Heartaches By The Number by Martina McBride. I was disappointed in that CD. Good songs but weak performance in my opinion, considering the good players that were on it. I thought the tone really sucked. Paul always sounds so good, but this one I thought the tone was really dry. I don't think it's his fault. I think the producers were trying to acheive something like....."these are old songs, so let's try to make them sound primitive". Listen to this CD and compare it to an Amber Digby CD and it's daylight and dark difference. Amber, Dicky, Bobby Flores, etc.. blow this thing away. My opinion.

Sorry for getting sidetracked...back to Ronnie.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 11:56 pm    

Listen again. Dicky plays that real fast lick and later in the song both he and the lead player are playing it together. Winking

www.BuddyEmmons.com
Connie Mack

phoenicia, new york
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 12:44 am    

seems kinda funny that the discussion is going on about how tasteful or not his playing was when all one has to do is look at the outfits or the set and realize that taste wasn't all that it was cracked up to be right about then.....

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 2:57 am    

You've got something there, Connie!!!
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 6:50 am    

Hey Rick,

So sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know, but you would be amazed at how many really fine players don't. At many of the steel shows I play, there are guys who feel it and play it well, they just don't know what to call it. I guess I just was a little anxious and jumped too quickly into the teaching mode. You know how drummers are about rushing.

By the way, we missed you in Saluda, hope you can make the next one.

See ya soon,
Jim
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 5:53 pm    

Jim,

I'd take timing lessons from you anytime. Smile I would liked to have made Saluda to see you and all my buddies, but I've been so busy and out of town lately. I'm in WV now for the week on a new plant startup with 12-14 hour days. Not complaining though, glad to be working and paying the bills. Very Happy Very Happy
Randy Lindley

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 12:15 pm    

ben,

regarding ronnie's early records....in those days, it was very common for more than one steel player to be playing on a album...just as it was common for several guitar players to be on the same album, as well...alot of my vinyl from that period is like that...and dicky is definately playing on those albums...one of my favorite rides is off the 20/20 vision album..."you snap your fingers"...amber digby recorded that song on her latest cd, with dicky playing it there, as well...you can listen to her version on her myspace page:

www.myspace.com/amberdigby
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 21 May 2009 2:27 pm     Ronnie same show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVzLzp1Z3Mo "Legend In My Time"