| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking For the Hal Smith Billy Hew Len Archives
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2009 3:49 pm    

Is this CD available anymore? The folks at the HSGA forum clued me in to its existence. BHL is one of my favorites and I would love to find a copy of this.
Martin Curnan

Lihue, Kauai
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 12:41 pm     Hawaiian Rainbow

I believe the DVD is "Hawaiian Rainbow" (1987)available on the net. There is also some rare footage
of BHL with Sonny Chilingsworth on Youtube.
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 1:54 pm    

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, what I am looking for is an MP3 CD that I think was put out by Andy Volk of handheld recordings from the 80's. I've seen the Hawaiian Rainbow footage and it definitely blows my mind. Can anyone tell if BHL is playing A6 or B11 in that video?
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 6:12 pm    

The Billy Hew Len audio-only archive DVD was a collaboration in 2006 between me, Hal Smith (who did the original 1980s field recordings) and forumite Chuck Wilson, who put in tons of time cleaning them all up on a digital workstation and dividing them into 79 tracks totaling over 8 hours of music performance, talks, and tunings lessons.

Chuck originally made about 70 copies back then which were sold by the HSGA. When I emailed chuck in January, he was amenable to making more if folks were interested. He has the master and if there are any dubs to be had, Chuck's the guy to make 'em. I suggest you email him through the forum.
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 9:30 pm    

Thanks Andy. I'll write him tonight.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 9:18 am    

I can't be certain re his tuning on the video. I do know he prefered the A6th tuning.
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 1:17 am    

A6 on Hawaiian Rainbow. Notice the split-string slants Billy makes on "How Dya Do" to get the E9th and A9th chords.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 5:33 am    

These Hal Smith recordings are really worth having. I learned some really nice stuff from listening to Billy. He demonstrates many tunings, but particularly exploits A6 for just about all it's worth, even changing the bottom strings for some very sophisticated harmonies. Plus, he was just about as cool as they come.

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 8:48 am    

You said it, Mike! The thing that comes out over and over about Billy is that he was just as happy to hang out with passionate amateur players as pros and very, very open and generous in explaing what he was doing on the guitar.
Chuck Wilson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2009 8:49 am    

Hi All,

Matthew did get hold me. Thanks Matthew for the email. I still have a couple left from the run we made of the archives of original reel to reel tape recordings from Hal Smith. I was able to clean them up quite a bit from the originals so things could be heard better. PM me for details if you didn't get one.

It was amazing to work on these as I felt I was sitting there on the conversations. One can get a true feeling for Billy Hew Len the person as well as hear his incredible sensitivity and musicality in his playing. What an awesome talent he was with a touch of pure beauty.
One of my personal favorite players.

Chuck