| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The first Franklin
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 10 May 2009 2:28 am    

Kind of interesting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-First-Ever-Paul-Franklin-Pedal-Steel-Guitar_W0QQitemZ170330493457QQihZ007QQcategoryZ118994QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I don't have anything to do with this auction, just posting it for historical interest.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 5:15 am    

Interesting and historical indeed! The 20 pictures were great. If accurate, this is how the Franklin got its start. Sure has come a long way...
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 10 May 2009 5:25 am    

I believe this has been on Craig's list for some time. May have been bought and now on ebay.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/1129941066.html
Connie Mack

phoenicia, new york
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 5:51 am    

here's the clip the guy spoke of in the listing....does not seem to be the same guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu2UjcrbldA&feature=related

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 6:10 am    

somehow i'm not convinced..... Rolling Eyes

quote from seller :
Quote:
I do my best to describe my auctions fully, but I sometimes miss something.
My descriptions include not only the written part of the description but also the photos.
Sometimes there is an obvious discrepancy between the written part of the description and the photos
Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 6:33 am     Franklin

I do not believe Mr. Franklin ever built anything like that in his life. I would have to hear it from him or Paul. Martin.

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 8:21 am    

The steel player in the clip is Bobby Lucier and his Sho~Bud. The clip is from a movie called "Road to Nashville" from 1967.
Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 9:04 am    

I do seem to remember reading an interview in which Paul describes the first guitar his dad made for him. This is what I would have expected it to look like, based on Paul's description of it being a Sho-bud copy. Remember, this is what a Sho-bud looked like in '62. I think that anyone wanting to build his own Sho-bud at that time, should be proud to have come so close, whether it was Paul Sr. or not.
Ron !

Post  Posted 10 May 2009 9:06 am    

There is a picture of Paul playing a Sho-Bud in the 60's.

There is also the topic (Bobby Burns is talking about) on the forum by "Danny Hullihen" that describes the guitar on E-Bay.
Take a look at the pictures on E-Bay and compare them to this article.
Quote:
Just got this in. The owner of this guitar says that he bought this guitar from Paul Sr. back in 1968. This guitar was built for Paul Jr. around 1965, to the best of his knowledge. Believe it or not, this ol' Sho-Bud still plays and sounds great! This guitar has a solid wood body, and the end plates are removable? In any case, it's a very interesting piece of history here.

The case for this guitar has a tag on it that says: Bumping and Painting - Franklin Body Shop - General repair and customizing - 26121 Van Born, Taylor, Michigan. LOgan 1-1053. (See photo below)

I haven't been able to confirm all of the above info yet with Paul, but I'm hoping he will see this post and perhaps have some comments to share on this guitar.

The owner is asking $1200.00 for this one. If this actually is one of Paul Jr's first pedal steels, (and I beleive it is)it would be nice to see it in a museum somewhere.

And then there is Paul's answer in this post
Quote:
My first pedal steel was a Fender 400. This is the first guitar my father built. It is the first Franklin Guitar, NOT a Sho-Bud. I own the second Franklin from that period. It is made with Amaranth wood and Birdseye maple which is my favorite guitar from my youth.

I hope this info helps.
Paul
Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 3:16 pm     Franklin Pedal Steel

This has or had been on Craigs List for a long long time. I had actually talked to the gentleman who owned it in Michigan & he stated that he knew Paul Sr. and that Paul Sr. confirmed to him that it was a Franklin first build guitar. If I remember correctly there were no pics on Craigs List so I had the guy email me a picture, but it was of bad quality so I passed on it. Maybe I should have taken him up on it. But at the time I couldn't verify it was
Paul's. I could have gotten it then for $1,000.00.

Al Vesel

Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 10 May 2009 5:50 pm    

This picture and the steel on ebay look the same to me.

Notice the notch in the pedal board for the leg in the top right corner of this picture.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 9:07 pm    

Quote:
I own the second Franklin from that period. It is made with Amaranth wood and Birdseye maple which is my favorite guitar from my youth.

I'm pretty sure this is the second guitar.

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 17 Dec 2020 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 9:14 pm    

Look at the photo Ron posted. Check out pedal-rods 1,2,3. Now look at the one on ebay. I believe it's the same guitar.

Bill
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2009 5:04 am    

The guitar was the very first Franklin built in Taylor Michigan.... Those pictures sure bring back good memories! Smile