| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What do I do now?
Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2009 1:13 pm    

For over 40 years I worked in sound systems, doing everything from custom high end installations in performing arts centers, audio consulting/design, loudspeaker designing including internal horn driver design, to fixing movie projectors and Fender Amplifiers. I know the products of the now gone ALTEC Lansing inside and out, have been around and dealt with musicians and performers for many years. As a friend of mine said, "you (I) can design, build, repair, almost anything".

I always wanted to play some kind of instrument, the closest I came to it was badly playing a trombone in Jr. High (too much fun stuff outside when I supposed to be practicing) and sang with a volunteer Big Band for about last three years. I have always loved music, been a long time social dancer, have DJ’ed Ballroom and Argentine Tango Dances for a number of years. Always been an analog guy, prefer the sound of records to CDs, I have a pretty good ear.

So, for some reason I still can't figure out, I went to the Bob Wills Days in Turkey, Texas at the end of April. I got to know several steel players there, and now, I am buying one.

What do I now? At 58 years old, I can sort of read music, don't quite understand everything about tunings, chords, keys, etc. In otherwise, at 58 I am an absolute beginner, where does someone like me start? Your input would be appreciated, Jim

(No, I am not the famous Blues Piano playing Jim Dickinson, he's James Luther, I am James Michael)
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 May 2009 1:21 pm    

Jim, try tuning it to A6 - hi2lo E C# A F# E C# A F#
and watch this video a few times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYctoEpCHD0&feature=channel_page

Then, if that helps get you started you can order the Steel Guitar Basics DVD from b0b right here on the forum.
http://pedalsteelmusic.com/instruction/nonpedal.html

BIG STEEL
Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2009 2:06 pm    

Thanks Rick,

Have sent you a PM on another matter, Jim