| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rounding off the tip of a Scheerhorn/Lap Dawg/etc
John Bushouse

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 8:46 am    

A while back, someone posted a picture of a Scheerhorn-type bar where they ground one of the sharp ends of the bar into a round nose. Does anyone remember who did this, and how they did it? Any particular material that would work better than another?

Thanks for any answers to my search for the grail, rather than dedicating myself to practicing.
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 10:36 am    

Hey John, I had a thread a while back about rounding off one end of my Shubb GS so it might have been me you're thinking about. One thing to keep in mind before rounding a bar is how it's made. The Shubb GS is made of solid hardened stainless but many others are made of soft metal with a hard outer skin (plating). I wouldn't recommend grinding the plating off of a bar so you might want to consider that before rounding the end.

When I do my bars I carefully shape the end with a bench grinder, then progressively sand starting with 80 grid emery paper and ending with 600 grit. Then I polish the end with crocus cloth and that's it.

I use one Shubb GS and one custom made bar and both have rounded ends.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 10:42 am     bar mods

At the risk of breaking detente in the Bar Wars, I'll chime in here. : )

I think it is an interesting idea, but you might end up with a bar that is too short. If you want to try this, I suggest you work from a Scheerhorn Stainless bar. That way you can sand and polish it back to a nice finish and not have to re-plate it after you round the nose. With a bar like this, you could use the rounded end for certain types of playing and turn it around for certain open string pull-off stuff. This is what I do with the Shubb SP2 "Peter Grant" bar, but I wish it was a tad bit shorter.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 11:34 am    

Ron Tipton will make you a bar to your specs. He
made me a couple with one sharp end and one rounded end. His # is 270 570 1730.

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 11:46 am    

The picture makes it look more rounded than it actually is. The bar in the picture is only 1/8th" shorter than before I rounded it but you can order these with the round end. I left the other end sharp so that I can turn it around for pull-offs.
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 2:24 pm    

Here ya go!!

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/S6.htm

and this one looks rounded also........

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/S62.htm

Very Happy
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 4:07 pm     Re: Rounding off the tip of a Scheerhorn/Lap Dawg/etc

John Bushouse wrote:
A while back, someone posted a picture of a Scheerhorn-type bar where they ground one of the sharp ends of the bar into a round nose. Does anyone remember who did this, and how they did it?

I believe Rick Aiello posted some pics of a Scheerhorn he had done that to, but that's a long time ago, probably in the old No Peddlers section..
AJ Azure

Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 5:01 pm    

a custom gs steel can be had rounded. ask for the azure bullet bar at gssteels.com you can also order a wooden handle from blue stem steels and glue it onto a bullet bar with epoxy. I like and idea the look of the shubbs but, the grip is too narrow for me.
John Bushouse

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2009 6:58 am    

Jim, I've got one of those Shubb Pearse bars, but the grip doesn't seem to work very well to me. The Tipton/Scheerhorn is very comfy. I am afraid of modifying my Scheerhorn because of the replacement cost of I mess up Smile

Clyde, I called Ron this morning; he said a 3" bar with a round nose on one end and a 15 degree angle on the other end would be no problem. I' in the queue for the next batch of bars.

Thanks, everyone!
AJ Azure

Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2009 12:19 pm    

John Bushouse wrote:
Jim, I've got one of those Shubb Pearse bars, but the grip doesn't seem to work very well to me. The Tipton/Scheerhorn is very comfy. I am afraid of modifying my Scheerhorn because of the replacement cost of I mess up Smile

Clyde, I called Ron this morning; he said a 3" bar with a round nose on one end and a 15 degree angle on the other end would be no problem. I' in the queue for the next batch of bars.

Thanks, everyone!

what about adding more grip to the shubb?