| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tell me, why do'ncha?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2009 5:20 pm    

Are any of you newcomers at all interested in learning steel guitar instrumentals?

Not the same old tried & true tunes that are routinely played at all the steel jams by all various players.........but some great old tunes that will enable you to better learn the happenings on your guitar while giving you a sense of confidence and satisfaction that you can now play SOMETHING!

Would you prefer just TAB? DVD with Tab?

Tell me, I'd be interested.
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2009 7:46 pm    

My S10 C6 pedal guitar will be arriving in late June or early July. The first thing I'm going to do is to go through a couple of basic C6 courses. Then I'm going to transpose everything I currently play from non pedal to pedal. That will keep me busy for awhile, I think.
But to answer your question, I'd be interested in stuff from the Great American Songbook in instrumental form. Tab only. That other stuff is somewhere between less helpful and distracting.

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2009 8:29 pm     Tell me more!

THE GREAT AMERICAN SONG BOOK........is what?

I'm more than likely way behind the times however I know nothing of this book to which you refer.

Please tell me more?
Mark MacKenzie

Franklin, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2009 4:29 am    

Hey Ray,

I would absolutely be interested in it. My preference is CD with tab, just audio. Backup tracks optional. I think a basic book with just steel instrumentals and a cd with tunes played up to tempo would be a very much in demand. A little history on each tune might be nice, too.

My problem with books is that most waste valuable pages teaching what tab is or how to read music. I am not interested in that. A collection of your playing and tunes you play and have played in your illustrious career would be great!

I saw a video of your playing on a TV performance which was outstanding!

Please do a book!

Mark
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2009 4:36 am    

Ray:

The Great American Songbook is a euphemism for the classic pop tunes written for the most part in the first 40 or 50 years of the 20th century, pre rock and roll. The term typically excludes country music.

There is no definitive list of what qualifies, but you can probably guess:

Georgia, yes
The Devil Went Down To Georgia, no

That Old Black Magic, yes
Black Magic Woman, no

And so forth.

It's the stuff anyone born prior to the end of WW2 would be pretty familiar with by default, if they listened to the radio at all. GAS ruled the roost for decades in the form of jazz, swing, pop vocals, and instrumentals.

Anyone under 50 might disdain it as "elevator music".

Think of any song Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald recorded and you are 90% there, although they missed a few of them.

Steel players and western swing bands used to be expected to do some of these tunes, but it seems "A Way To Survive" is now how you establish your credentials. Hmmmmmmmmm.......what might that mean?

Lookie here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_Songbook