| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bass Amp Recommendations
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 5:03 am    

Fate (and steel guitar) took me out of the bass world over ten years ago, but I've been getting together with some buddies and playing bass again.

I am TOTALLY out of the loop regarding current bass amp technology. I used to be an Ampeg man, but from what I understand, things ain't what they used to be.

Anyone have some thoughts on what's the good gear these days?

I'm looking for good sound in a smallish (1 x 15, maybe 4 x 10) package. I'd be lying if I said money wasn't an issue, but it'd be good to hear about gear in a variety of price ranges.

Thanks!

Scotia, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 7:29 am    

SWR. SWR. SWR.

I have a pre-Fender SWR Basic Black, 1x15" that I use at small clubs. Light enough for one person to move, easier with two people or a hand truck. These amps go for between $200-$300. Extension cab (1x15") goes for $200-$250.

No matter which bass I use, humbucker or single-coil, I am ALWAYS able to get a good sound out of this amp. I love it. Clean. Punchy. Reliable. Tube Preamp (makes all the difference in the world to the tone). Perfect height for me to sit on when stuffed onto a crowded stage.

For lager rooms, I use a SWR pre-Fender Redhead (240 watts), 2x10".

SWR watts ratings are conservative, not inflated. You get more bang for your buck.

The first time I played through an SWR, I knew it was the amp for me.

I use my SWRs for all styles of music, with the following basses: Fender Roscoe Beck 6-string (SC and HB); Fender Marcus Miller 5-string (SC); Ernie Ball Silhouette short-scale 6-string (SC and HB); Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom short-scale 6-string (SC); Tacoma Thunder Chief acoustic/electric 4-string (?).

Stay away from the newer small SWRs. They just don't cut it.

Here's an recent eBay auction for a Basic Black that didn't sell because the reserve was not met.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260384324583

Last edited by Alan Kirk on 13 Apr 2009 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total
jackie harmon

sherman texas usa
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 7:37 am     bass amp

I have a polytone mini brute bass amp with a 15" speaker
I am the only owner it is very clean if intrested please call me 903 815 0969.
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 8:43 am    

I'd get a used Gallien-Kruger head and an Avatar cab of choice. Can't go wrong.
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 8:49 am    

I would suggest biting the bullet and buy a Gallien-Krueger MB2 head - 500 watts and only weighs 3 pounds. http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-MB2500-500-Watt-Ultra-Light-Head?sku=481858

An unbelieveable amp!!!

Then add the speaker cab of your choice.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Eric Jaeger

Oakland, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 4:06 pm    

I don't think the world of bass amplification has changed that much, though you haven't said what kind of sound you're looking for. For 'vintage' sound I bounce between a GK 12" combo, an SWR Workingman's 15, and an Eden head into an SWR 4x10. And a beat-up P-bass Smile

-eric
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 6:18 pm     A vintage Guild 'Thunderbass' head and cab...

...or, ask these guy's at - www.talkbass.com
Lot's of qualified reviews and opinions.
Alan Kirk

Scotia, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 7:42 am    

SWR Workingman's 15 doesn't hold a candle to the Basic Black. It's way too heavy, and doesn't sound as good. The LA 15 is even worse.

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 10:26 am    

I play an Eden WTX-260, into Schroeder 1210L, the whole rig weighs less than 50 lbs with plenty of volume. I've seen the WTX-260s go as low as $300 on Ebay since Eden announced the WTX-500. The Schroeder cab while VERY NICE is probably not necessary, pretty much any efficient 4 ohm bass enclosure with enough power handling would work.

That said, I used to have a Hartke KickBack 112 that was really quite astonishing in terms of size to sound ratio.

Let us know what you decide on!

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 10:38 am     bass amp recomendations

Have you ever seen a Hartke? I use one and love it...200w,litewt wedge cab,great sound with plenty of punch...$350.00! MD
Michael Strauss

Delray Beach,Florida
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 12:31 pm    

I am using an Ampeg. If you watch the pros (almost all of them), they use Ampeg. My other choice would be Hartke. You have to judge your needs by how it sounds to you and how much your can spend.

I have 8 basses and my Ampeg B5R with the BXT115 and my Modulus Q6 is the best sounding combination I've found.

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 1:05 pm    

Thanks for all the replies guys. Lots of good info.

I was always an Ampeg SVT user back in the olden days, but back then a) I didn't have to use my own money and b) I didn't have to carry it myself. Plus I was a lot younger then...ha!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to justify a major purchase to the CFO (or as I like to call her, "the little woman"), so I'm going to have to shop around for a sweet used deal, I think.

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 2:54 pm    

I have two rigs. I use a Peavey DPC1000 with a Peavey MAX BASS preamp. I use a Peavey 210 cab and a Peavey 410 cab. I keep this in the band trailer. On any pick-up gig I use a Peavey Databass amp. Single 15 with 400 watts. A little heavy but plenty of sound and big bottom. If the pick-up gig requires more, I have a second Databass amp and I go through both and can also line out of each. I was using a 98 Fender American 5 string Jazz bass but I recently went back to my 78 4 string Jazz bass. Plenty of sound any way I go. I've always had good luck with Peavey equipment.