| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reba.....What Album?
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 5:02 pm    

The band members and Myself were talking about Female singers and one of the guys was enthusing about an album Reba did a while ago.He said it was
"old country"
Can anyone give me the name of the album
Thanks
Billy
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 5:13 pm    

I think they might be talking about the Martina McBride cd.. Timeless
Jaclyn Jones

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 5:19 pm     Old Country

Patty Loveless has a CD called "Sleepless Nights" that is outstanding. All real country classic with great steel. I have not heard about the Reba CD.
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 5:55 pm    

Thanks Bo,You named it.
Jaclyn,the Timeless album is tremendous too.
Thanks
Billy
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 7:23 pm    

Another female singer doing some great country classics is Miss Linda Lay,her CD [Linda's Mercantile Store ] is a good one,Think Mr. Ricky Davis is on it. Classic country to the bone. DYKBC.

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 9:11 pm    

As for Reba, her album "My Kind Of Country", from the '80s, is, well, really country! (It has "How Blue" and "Somebody Should Leave" on it, a couple of shuffles and Western Swing tunes, great steel by Sonny Garrish...Too bad about where she went from there!)
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 12:21 pm    

I found the "Timeless" CD disappointing. For me, it's a little too Plain Jane. I thought the tone was sick. I've heard that they wanted to get an older sound, but that's not the country sound of the 60's and 70's that I remember. Those guys are capable of a lot better. Just my opinion.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 4:50 pm    

How about this one? Some great tunes here.

http://www.amazon.com/LeAnn-Rimes/dp/B000021XRA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1238546838&sr=1-6
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2009 8:44 pm    

I have to agree with Rick Campbell on Martina's "Timeless" CD---she's a fine singer, but she does very little to add unique interpretration to any of the cuts on this CD, which I do own.

Patty Loveless could sing the phone book and I'd buy it! I think her "Sleepless Nights" album is wonderful, with some great, classic steel parts by Al Perkins and [name escapes me, someone he'p me out here]. I do find song sequencing a little weak, one spot its 2 shuffles back to back, in the same key. Minor quibble, you all should buy this album! You could learn an awful lot about playing tasty steel by figuring out these intros and solos.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2009 9:52 pm    

John, it's Al Perkins and Pete Finney, who is Patty's road steeler.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 7:25 am    

If you were looking for "old country," you could have stopped looking for Reba a long time ago. After seeing her on the show last nite, the only thing about her that remains old country is her wardrobe.
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 9:03 am    

Oh please don't be like that about Reba. She may not be my all-time favourite, but I saw her do a very small promo gig in the corner of a record store here in London afew years ago, and the professionalism and talent of Reba and her whole band blew me away!
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 11:38 am    

"My Kind Of Country" has Sonny Garrish and Gregg Galbraith on it! This record has so many great songs.
Reba is Reba! Smile
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 5:49 pm    

My favorite song of Reba's is "Whoever's In New England". Her husband Narvel Blackstock was her steel guitarist when she started and Terry Crisp played steel with her for the longest time, then Bruce Bouton played steel for her. On "He Gets That From Me, the guitar solo you hear in the middle of the song is played by a great guitarist named Gregg Galbraith.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 5:50 am    

"He Gets That From Me" is country and thanks Brett for plugging Gregg. To me his accoustic work on that song is amazing! Smile

The CD is REBA "Room To Breathe"!
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 1:04 pm    

My favorite Reba song is "I'm Not That Lonely Yet". Seems to me after that she got less and less country for my taste.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2009 11:22 am    

i had high hopes for reba to champion the country cause forever, but she had other things to do.

.....but you can't deny the solid country of 'red roses won't work now'!!
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2009 11:31 am    

Reba did Broadway in 2001 in Annie Get Your Gun, and could possibly be in Anything Goes this year. God help me, Reba singing Cole Porter. Whoa!
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2009 11:46 am    

Go where the money is. So what if a few of us die hard country fans don't support it. It won't make a bit of difference in the financial end of it.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2009 5:20 pm    

Quote:
My favorite song of Reba's is "Whoever's In New England". Her husband Narvel Blackstock was her steel guitarist when she started and Terry Crisp played steel with her for the longest time, then Bruce Bouton played steel for her. On "He Gets That From Me, the guitar solo you hear in the middle of the song is played by a great guitarist named Gregg Galbraith.

Wow! Surely Brett hasn't missed one when it comes to naming all the steel players in the road bands!! Whoa! Wink Hey Brett, buddy, Reba had another fine steel player named Donny LaValley. I believe he is from Ft. Worth. I think he was after Narvel. Reba's band, "The Road Slugs" or something like that, had a great instrumental feature back in the day. They started with Sugarfoot Rag moved to Orange Blossom Special, and Donny finished it with Four Wheel Drive! It was a great show 20+ years ago. I saw her open for Willie in Atlanta.

My favorite Reba song was, "You're The First Time I Thought About Leaving". Great playing by Weldon I believe.