Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MO: Marshfield 4th Annual Steel Guitar Show
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 5:51 am    

Saturday June 6th
4th Annual Marshfield
Steel Guitars in Concert

Well it is hard to believe it's that time of year again, but we are starting a little earlier to advertise this year's show.

As some of you know last year, my mother passed away at that time of year and it was difficult to go on with the steel show. However, I had a lot of help from friends, loved ones, and most of all my LORD carried me through it.

This year's show promises to be a dandy. We only have the show on one day and that is usually on the first Saturday of June. We have tried to stear clear of other shows that are going on about the same time.

We are doing some things alittle different this year as we are limiting the number of players. Because we are only one day a year or at least for now, we are this year limiting the number of players. If you do not get to play on this year's show we will try to schedule you for next year's show 2010. Myself, I am schedule to play some shows like this. So, just don't want anyone to think that we are trying to exclude them.

Also we are going to have some new players that normaly do not play shows in this area.

Thanks and may GOD bless each of you!

Terry Wood
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 1:36 pm     Marshfield, Mo. steel show

Be sure to mark this one on your calender. It is a great show with lots of great steelers, and a good back up band.. I have attended this show the last 2 years, and enjoyed it to its fullest. Terry works very hard on this show, and it SHOWS. Don't miss this one. Larry Baker
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 5:35 pm    

Here are some of the confirmed players for this year's 2009 show at Marshfield, MO

1) Mike "Cookie" Jones - Nashville, TN
2) Rudy Osborne - Benton, AR
3) J.D. Walters - Tulsa, OK
4) Gene Fields - Arlington, TX and Marshfield, MO
5) Jerry Roller - Van Buren, AR
6) Keith Hilton - Ozark, MO
7) Rob Parker - Paducah, KY
Cool Mike McGee - Dadeville, MO
9) Dennis Detweiler - Solon, IA
10)Gordon Dodson - Ozark, AL
11)Jack Musgrave - Rogersville, MO
12)Scotty Henderson - Camdenton, MO

These are a bunch of great guys and steel players. I am looking forward to hearing them.

Any questions you can e-mail me or call me evenings at my home number 417-468-2102.

Hope to see you there and GOD bless!

Terry Wood

Last edited by Terry Wood on 14 Apr 2009 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 7:41 am    

Very Happy Terry, I am looking forward to playing on your big Steel Guitar Show. Your Show keeps growing every year and I know this year it will be better than ever.
Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 10:10 am    

Mr Terry,
Thank you for including me in this line-up of legendary stars..what a great treat for the fans. You have a great line-up, and the fans will hear some great music..
See You soon,
RP...'come on in'...
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 6:17 am    

Thank you for the invite Terry! Looking forward to another great show.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 5:56 pm    

I am looking forward to hearing all of you guys play. This is a always like a big family reunion.

Thanks guys and GOD bless!

Terry Wood
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 10:31 pm     dvd

Terry did you get the DVD i sent you. Rudy
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2009 5:01 am    

Hi Rudy,

Yes, it is great!

See you on the 6th of June at the 4th Annual Marshfield Steel Show.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 5:47 am    

Just a reminder that this is going to be a great steel show. Hope you all can make it!

I am really excited about Mike "Cookie" Jones and Rudy Osborne coming to play for us. I have been trying to get Rudy up here for the past 3 years and he has been in Nashville and elsewhere and this will be his first trip to play our show. He is a fabulous player.

In case you might not know it, Rudy wrote the song that was the title cut for Doug Jernigan's L.P (now on CD) years ago. The song was called "Cross Country." Rudy was Dottie West's steel player amongst others for several years.

Next, I did not know what a great player Mike "Cookie" Jones was until I saw a couple of DVD video clips on his playing. It took me all of about two seconds to realize that he needs to be featured at one of our steel shows. Mike was Barabara Mandrell's steel man for 23 years plus was with the Connie Smith Show and has played on numerous Nashville recording sessions.

Next I want to add something, I was particularly excited about Mike's playing when I heard and saw him playing on the DVD his fire burnin' version of the Country classic "Fireball Mail." He sounded so much like the great Jimmy Crawford. Mike can play it all! I'm asking you to please come hear these great players this year.

We have been blessed here at Marshfield with a great array of talent ever since we started our annual steel show back in 2006 and this year will be one of the best ever.

Thanks and GOD bless!

Terry Wood
David Tunnell

Marshfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 11:39 am    

Terry has several players lined up this year that I've never got to hear. I'm looking forward to it. I hope you are too. I will post directions to the venue later on.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 5:14 pm    

Very Happy David, I will be playing with you in Diggins this next Friday.
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 9:44 pm     Marshfield

I played on Terry's show last year and boy, do they treat you like royalty! Excellent back up band too! I see he has a great lineup for this year and I would advise you not to miss it! Scotty
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2009 12:20 am    

Last year, when I was associated with the show in Fulton MS, I booked Mike Jones to come and play. I had seen him on Barbara Mandrell's TV show, but when he came to Fulton, it was the first time that I got to really hear him turn loose and play. Like Terry said, he is a terrific player! Hearing Cookie alone would make anyone's trip to Marshfield worthwhile, but when you add in all the others on Terry's list, it makes for one heck of a great show!

Terry, I hope you the best of success on this, and all future shows.

Lem
David Tunnell

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 5:39 am    

Keith,

It's good to see that I will get to play with you Friday. The last time I played with you was at Terry's steel show last year.

If you hadn't posted on here, I probably wouldn't have known till I showed up on Friday. Richard Owen and Ernie Jackson always line up who is going to play when one of the regular band members isn't there. Jimmy Burrell has so many irons in the fire that I have gotten to play with several different steel players. They hardly ever have to replace me (except last year when I had surgery on my arm), I guess because I am not in such high demand as Jimmy is.

Anybody who wants to hear some good Ray Price shuffle music played by the inimitable Keith Hilton, come on out to the Highway 60 Theater in Diggins, MO, this Friday, April 17, at 7:00 p.m. The theater is just to the west of the Highway 60/State Highway O junction in Diggins, on the north side of Highway 60.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 11:19 am    

Very Happy David, I always liked your piano playing. I am looking forward to playing on the Siloam Springs, Arkansas Show this month, and Terry Wood's show the first of June. David, I will not be doing any shuffle tunes on either of these shows. I am trying to come up with some new stuff. Also trying to be a little different, than the stock old stuff everyone has heard me play. I am using a Fender tube amp now, with a different steel. I am looking forward to playing with Richard's band this Friday, I know it will be a lot of fun.
David Tunnell

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 12:30 pm    

Keith,

You may not do any shuffles at the upcoming steel shows, but I'll bet you quite a bit that you'll do some shuffles this Friday night Wink . I hope you still like the shuffles; I sure do.
Gordon Dodson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 4:26 pm    

Terry, Thanks for inviting me to play at the Marshfield, Missouri steel guitar show. I am looking
forward to meeting everyone and hearing some great steel guitar music.

Thanks again,
Gordon Dodson
Ozark, Alabama
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 5:14 am    

Hi Gordon and Fellow Forum Members,

We are glad you are joining us!

As many of you know, I was friends with the late Steel Guitar Hall of Famer Julian Tharpe. Julian's family and I have also remained in contact for several years since Julian's death in the early 1990s.

Anyhow, Gordon Dodson is a great steel player from Julian's home stompin' grounds at Ozark, Alabama. Gordon plays alot like Julian because he used to hang out wth Julian too. By listening to Gordon's fine playing you can defintely hear Julian's influence. Gordon is also an excellent singer and guitarist. I am looking forward to hearing his set.

Once again glad you jumped on board Gordon and see you on June 6th at the 4th Annual Marshfield Steel Show.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2009 8:22 am    

Hi Steel Friends,

I also wanted to share some about Mr. J.D. Walters who will be featured that this year's 4th Annual Marshfield Steel Show too.

For those who don't know J.D. he was the main steel player at shows for the late Hank Thompson and was an official Brazos Valley Boy. I saw Hank at three different concerts from 1996 through 2007 and J.D. was the steel player deluxe at all those concerts. I believe he was Hank's main steel player the last 13-14 years of Hank's career.

J. D. Walters was also Freddie Hart's steel player for 7 years and I think with Billy Jo Spears for 2-3 years. He has played and recorded on numerous CDs, LPs, shows. J.D. is featured on the " 60 years of The Brazos Valley Boys CD. He also has recorded a couple of CDs featuring his excellent steel playing.
J.D. plays both the E9th and C6th tunings great! I loved his beautiful tribute to Bob Wills and his playing of the pop classic "Stardust," last year at our steel show.

J.D. is a great guy and likes to visit and talk steel guitar. He is an encyclopedia of Steel Guitar and Western Swing history. Come on out Saturday June 6th and visit with him. You will love his superb steel playing.

Thanks and GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2009 8:19 am    

Just a reminder this great line up of steel players will be in just a few short weeks!

We have people coming from several states to play and also those attending this year's show.

Terry Wood
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2009 8:24 am    

We have a Great line up for the Saturday June 6th Steel Show at the historic Marshfield Jubilee Theater. Hope you all can make it!

Thanks and GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2009 8:24 am    

Another bump for a great show coming on June 6th, 2009!

Terry Wood
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 8:36 am    

Hi David Tunnell,

Better get your shuffle playing piano boots on, cause someone special is going to be here that day, to lay some good old Ray Price and shuffle songs on us.

Terry Wood
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 3:17 pm    

Very Happy David, I love the Richard Owens Band. I hope the band liked what I played at the Theatre in Diggins. This is the absolute best band I have played for in years and years.