| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar in Selma, N. C. Friday night
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 11:59 am    

My new band WITHOUT FURTHER ADO will be returning to
the Ice House Theater this Friday night, April 3.
Good vocalists, good pickers. Lots of steel guitar.
In fact, I plan on playing every lick I know in the first song. There are always a half dozen steelers in the crowd, so the intimidation factor is high.

Venue owner Bowie Martin, along with Danny and Barbara Harell have gone to great lengths to turn this place into a steeler's dream gig, so let's
support him. www.countrytonightmusicshow.com and
www.withoutfurtherado.com.

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 9:15 pm     Picking

Clyde,
Have fun!! Wish I could be there to hear your great
Steel work.
Vernon Hester
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 5:34 am    

That first song is gonna be a long one!!!! Wish I could be there....but gotta play that night. Folks no one has more fun or brings more excitement to a show than Clyde and his group. The Show is always great and guaranteed to get you your money's worth from the time you go in till they close. This is the type of show I have heard over and over that you feel is being pushed out for the top ten stuff. Well here she is....and if you are in the area you should make the trip and if not Friday night, then for goodness sakes plan your next trip through the area and make a stop on another Friday night. It's a quick get off from Interstate 95 and just a hop skip and a jump from Raleigh.

Ray Walker
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 4:39 pm     Sam White NESGA

Hi Clyde sure wish Anna and I were able to make it but we will be shortly as we are in the process of selling here and moving back to North carolina for our finnal and last move. I'm getting a little old to do any more moving.We will be catching up with you guys one of these nights.
Sam White
Pres.NESGA
Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 6:58 pm    

Thanks for the good word. Sam, I look forward to seeing you back in these parts. Ray, hope you have a good gig!

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 8:17 pm    

I wish Selma was a little closer to Roxboro. That Ice House is a neat place!! Clyde, how about booking a gig into the Kirby Theater over here? If not the kirby, then maybe somewhere this side of Raleigh??

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 9:49 pm    

Hey Clyde,
Sounds like a great little show you have. I'd sure like to get over there to NC and see you guys sometime. BTW, I saw Louie Roberts a few days ago and your name came up. He sure thinks alot of you.

Nick
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 4:29 am     Sam White NESGA

Hey Guys just to mention a few Clyde Mattocks, Bowie Martin,Ray Walker, Kenny Dail, and Skip Mertz are a few of the best and greatest guys you ever want to meet.I know this as they are all good freinds of mine.They are all top of the line Steel players and if I get to hang with them I will be a great Steel player.
Sam White
Pres.Nesga
Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 8:42 am    

ttt

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 12:44 pm    

I'm looking forward to hearing all of Clyde's licks tonight; but I'm willing to bet it is going to take all night to hear most of them! Then I'll come back some other night to hear some more.
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 3:08 pm    

Here's a corrected links for the WITHOUTFURTHERADO website.

http://www.withoutfurtherado.com
Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 8:01 pm     Outstanding show!

People were just shaking their heads tonight as they left the show. An outstanding performance by an outstanding band. Great vocalists, musicians and show people (and just plain nice people too!). Clyde gave another steel guitar and dobro clinic. I was at a steel convention one time when one steeler mentioned to me: "Clyde's forgotton more than most good steelers ever learn." After hearing Clyde play several times he told me: " I was wrong, Clyde has never forgotton anything he learned on a steel guitar." How many times have you been to a non-steel guitar show, and hear applause for almost every break the steel takes? We did tonight. And, by the way folks, a lot of pickers think Clyde may be one of the top dobro players ever. No wonder there was not enough talent left for everyone when it was passed out. A "high light" tonight: Their rendition of "Orangle Blossom Special" -about as fast as you have heard it, and (the fun part), then the slowest - brought the house down!. and the audience was full of steelers: Billy Knowles (Alibi band), Bryant Aycock (The Nashville Rash), Vann Cranford (Country Rain) to mention a few. As I told one person tonight, I am a steel player, Clyde is a steel master.
Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 9:51 pm    

Bowie, thanks for the kind words. Just goes to prove if you live long enough, people will give you
way more credit than you deserve. As I have stated, this is a steelers dream gig. You get requests for steel tunes and they recognize a good lick when they hear it, whether its steel, guitar, or a nice vocal
turn. It's rewarding that just about the time Jessica hits that spectacular harmony on "When I Call
Your Name", at the same time I'm getting goose bumps, the audience breaks out in applause. Now I
remember why I started playing music!

Thanks Bowie, Danny and Barbara for believing in this
music and giving us such a great venue to play!

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2009 6:08 am    

I convinced my wife (Donna) to go with me last night - She normally doesn't go to music shows, but she was almost on the edge of her seat listening to the 3 part harmony!
And when Jessica sang Sweet Memories and Clyde took the break, you could close your eyes and believe you were at Station Inn in Nashville listening to Dawn Sears and John Hughey - What a SHOW! Very Happy
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112