| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Home for a few days, sure would like to pick this weekend
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2009 1:04 pm    

Well folks I'm 1/2 way through my training program and going home for a few days. I'm itching to pick a little. If any of you guys need a weekend off let me know PLEASE!!!!!!!
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2009 2:47 pm    

Well that didn't last too long, did it.. Smile Smile Smile.

I've tried myself JC, and never made it more than a few weeks..

Even surgery and being ordered not to get up for 2 weeks didn't keep me from it for more than three days.

I've been in the "motor trade" most of my picking career, and probably never amounted to anything at either because I always like to drive and work and never took a driving job that wouldn't guarantee me at least Fri/Sat off.. Went to my playing job many times with my reflective vest though...

Good luck.

I'm finding that a lot of the 'setup' for this period reminds me of the early 80s. I DO remember that there was a lot of good music, because a lot of GOOD players were broke enough to go out and play, but I also remember that inbetween wall to wall to music, that a lot of us lived in our cars..

Maybe Trucks in this latest case.

Being at "it" for a long time, I can tell you that driving big trucks DOES keep your mind occupied, and it is not just a "drudge" job.

Glad to hear you didn't burn your "REAL "rig", like I thought reading your "hanging it up" post.

Smile

EJL
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2009 7:34 pm     truck driving and playing music....................

My first road job with J.B. Hunt put me on the road for 7 weeks. WHEW!

I'd much rather drive regional than 48.......

After three hectic years local.......the job closed down and I'm now retired. Sure enjoying it.

Can't beleive I ever steered one of those giants down the highway.....particularly thro' city areas.
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2009 12:05 am     Truck Driving

Hey, I've done some truck driving in my day too. My wife, Mary, was part of Sparks Moving and Storage her in St. Louis and I got my moving furniture experience from her two brothers. I did drive on the road for both North American Van Lines and United Van Lines. But my mind wasn't exactly on driving all the time... I had a Trple Neck Fender steel guitar, a Bigsby foot volume pedal and a Fender twin amp (no reverb at that time in the early 50's) in my wardrobe and could open the side door of the van to take it out. When I had a few days lay over in a city I would search out taverns that had music and call them and in most cases I was able to sit in with them all night. I guess what I am saying is that even when not actually playing the clubs in St. Louis and being an over the road truck driver I never gave up playing the steel guitar! Scotty