| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Southwest Steel Guitar Assn. Event
Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 8:55 am    

Congratulations to the Southwest Steel Guitar Association on their first annual big venue event. Troy Porter, Billy Easton and Ray Jenkins founded this organization just a few years ago and it’s really good to see it come this far in such a short time. Thank you guys for all your hard work and dedication to never turning back once you started.

I’m sure there will be plenty things said about this event (and especially all the great players), but I’d like to also recognize Fred Justice for his tremendous efforts in putting together this particular show. Thanks also to Wayne Paden for jumping in on the sound duties (and I think this was last minute). His efforts kept the music flowing even when equipment or connectors were not cooperating. There were also several gentlemen helping with the moving of gear between sets. I don’t know their names but they were on top of it. Thanks to all.

T and I were just a very small part of the event and because we are trying to shake the flu, we didn’t hang out like we wanted to. But we did get to visit a bit with heroes and friends and that was great! I had many people give me play-by-plays of everything we missed and you could tell they were still caught up in the moment…what a cool thing.

We look forward to the next event.

Mike & Teriney Smith
“The Mike & T Band” www.mikeandt.com

Brian Creamer

Bristol/Somerset England now Apache Junction, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 10:09 am    

What a blast,Thanks to Fred,Billy,Troy and their wives and everyone who helped make this show a great success.All the artists appearing on stage, and the band, were just FANTASTIC.Entertainment at the highest,brilliant!!!!Good luck for 2004 and the next PSG show in 2005,Brian.
Mitch Daniels

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 11:31 am    

Miguel's set was totally awesome!!
John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 11:58 am    

Here are 3 links to some photos from the show!
JR

http://pages.prodigy.net/steelio/_wsn/page6.html
http://pages.prodigy.net/steelio/_wsn/page7.html
http://pages.prodigy.net/steelio/_wsn/page8.html

Or just go to my site http://pages.prodigy.net/steelio/index.html and all of the links will be at the bottom of the page.

[This message was edited by John Rickard on 18 January 2004 at 12:01 PM.]

Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 12:02 pm    

GREAT, WELL RUN EVENT...KUDOS MY FRIENDS.
Everyones sets were awesome!!
Back up band was also.

A friend was standing next to Jeff Newman while Mike Smith was doing his thing and he said that Jeff just kept shaking his head and saying..."AWESOME!" I can't wait untill next year...but they better get a lot bigger room!!

Thanx TROY, BILLY and FRED.

Only downside was we couldn't convince Danny Sneed to play!
Rick Ulrich

Gilbert, Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 1:46 pm    

The show was just awesome. Ya never woulda thunk it was the very first one. One can't say enough about the work that Fred Justice, Billy Easton and Troy Porter put in on this. The show came off as very professionally organized. We don't want to forget the wives behind the guys. Each of these guys has a super terrific woman supporting them and working right along with them. We salute Wayne and those assisting him with the technical production. I think Wayne must have lost 10 pounds running up to the stage and back. Thanks also to the guys helping lug the equipment around. The Texas Steel Guitar Association should be recognized for its support. What a great bunch of folks. Many states were represented, a great many of you came long distances to join in and we appreciate every one of you. 2005 will surely be spectacular.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 8:52 am    

It was my pleasure - Mike

I was very happy to meet you and T - I will see you around town. I would like a list of your gigs.

"a gear mover" Joe Naylor

------------------
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 9:28 am    

Seeing Mike and T's portion of the program was another highlight for us. I've looked forward to seeing and hearing Mike for a long time and I was not disappointed. Not only is his playing so tasteful but very Techno in nature and T's singing rounds out their fine program. Christine loved the steel playing at the show, but she couldn't sit still when Teriney sang her songs. Her display of showmanship shows why these two great talents are a favorite where ever they perform. This was another reason the trip to The Valley of The Sun was worth every mile to get there.
Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 12:12 pm    

Gary,
It was great to meet you and Christine at the show. I came down with some kind of a bug and left Saturday at around 7:15 for home and it is a good thing I left when I did. The excitement of the event was too much for me and I didn't sleep well, my dear wife Margie had the good sense to get sleep when she could. I had a great time and met and heard a world of great steel players. I personally thanked the guys and their wives mentioned above for the great effort in putting on this show. I regretted not being there for Jeff's set and also Mike Smith and Tierney.
I missed a lot of players but my favorite set was when Jay Dee and Jerry Brightman played together, I swear I was inspired to become better player this year than last.
I thought it was great to have Scottie do some MC's and intros. All the vendors were friendly and well set up. Great show.
Bill Bailey

------------------
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 1:17 pm    

Hey Bill, sorry you left early and yes, you missed some great playing. We enjoyed meeting you and your wife. Christine also loved your great shirt you wore. Leave it to a woman to notice. I wasn't there to see shirts but take in every note played and I tried to store them in my mind. Next year looks to be even better, if possible.
If we come through Kingman, we'll stop by Albertson's and look for you.
As I sign off, I'm playing Randy Beaver's super CD and I also vow to learn more and be a better player as time progresses.
Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 3:43 pm    

Thanks to all and especially (again) all the folks at the SWSGA www.swsteelguitar.com . I believe this was a great event and everyone seemed to have a fantastic time.

Gary, good to meet you and thanks for the words. I read T what you and Christine said and she lit up like a light! She loves what she does and we're glad it shows even when we're being whipped by the flu.

On Sunday night we decided to go ahead and try to do our gig at a local steak house. Bruce and Doreen Zumsteg showed up as well as Del Mullen and his wife, Red (Kilby?) and his wife and Sarah Jory and her guest (sorry, I never got to meet him so I'm not sure if it was a husband or not?). Anyhow, they were all very impressed with the event and hopefully they'll all be back next year.

By the way, if anyone is going through this flu junk going around, we were introduced to an over-the-counter thing called Zicam for colds (orange box) and it turned us around overnight.

Mike
P.S.; for dates we are doing with our band or just the duo, go to www.mikeandt.com