| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  'Always, Patsy Cline' in Virginia Beach - 3/20-3/22
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2009 1:14 pm    

We're here at the Sandler Center in downtown Virginia Beach for yet another production of this old favourite.

It's only going to un for five shows (two Friday and Saturday and a matinee on Sunday) so you need to move quickly. It should be fun - Jessica Welch always does a great job as 'Patsy', and the 'Louise' character is played by Sally Struthers.

Thanks to Jerry and Kay Hayes for their kind hosptality! They made me very welcome at their home the other day, and I had fun fooling with Jerry's very interesting collection of instruments. I hope we can do it again before I head back home. I've also been in contact with another Forumite, Joe Barlow; I'm looking forward to meeting with him and his wife Shelley later this week.

The sun's come out today - I can tell you that the 40-degree temperatures earlier this week have been pretty trying for this Florida resident!!!

Come and see us play....
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2009 2:19 pm    

Dang, Roger--I mean those tunes are great, but aren't you getting sick of them...Smile

Seen Jessica lately?
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2009 8:05 pm    

Hi Roger - I seem to remember hearing those songs somewhere lately! As I recall, the very first time I did the 'Patsy' show, it was with Jessica - ask her if she ever did it at the Florida Studio Theatre. And I further remember that she was VERY good!! HAve a great run.
Skip

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2009 12:08 pm    

John - YES! Work's work, though, right?

Skip - I'll ask Jessica when I see her in a short while.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2009 7:29 am    

Roger , you old dog, I alway get second call for this show but you always show up...LOL
Pick your fingers off and show them what classy steel can sound like. For anyone who doesn't know, old Roger can make the Tele stand up and talk also.I am feeling better every day but it is still along haul to the finish line.

Bud
Dean Edwards

Naples,FL & Natrona Hts, PA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 7:26 am    

Roger,

I'll miss you tonight at Fleamasters, but knock 'em dead in Virginia Beach.
Dean
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 11:02 am     Roger at the beach "For Cryin, in the Bucket"

Sure these songs get old, but if you do a run once every now and then the comfort level makes up for that. I've done four different runs at the Greenbrier Valley Theater once under the Musical direction of Jeremy Finn Smith. Do you remember him Roger? He was great to work with. He didn't know much about PSG but he knew you. I first met him doing a run of another Ted Swindley work, "Honky Tonk Angels." I remember he once told me to put my "thimbles on" so we could get started. On another note about getting tired of doing the same show again and again, well let's just say that the latter can have that effect. I'm just sayin'. Don D.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 1:03 pm    

Hey, you guys!

Bud - good to see you're up and typing!!! Take care, my friend, and I hope to see you before too long. (Keep that B-Bender Tele safe for me - maybe I can swing by and collect it when I head north in May...)

Hi, Dean - I'm sorry to be missing you tonight, but when 'Patsy' calls, I seem to go where I'm told....

Don: Sure I know Jeremy, but I think I only played guitar under his musical direction, not steel. I could be wrong, though. He's a good chap.

We've just finished the third show of the five-show run, and it's starting to to tighten up, despite the fact that they have us scattered across the stage with no thought that we'd be better off sitting near to each other; gotta love musical theatre designers!!!
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 7:01 pm    

Hey Roger If we weren't involved doing shows until April 6 Van & I might have been able to come down and see you.
I sent you his address twice but he said he hasn't heard from you yet. If you didn't get it yet Email me through the Forum and I'll try again.

Ben
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2009 4:16 pm    

Hi Roger...wish I could be there to see and hear you perform. Tell Jessica, Jerry and Joe Barlow I send them my best. Break a leg....

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2009 5:33 pm    

Ben - thanks, I got it!!! I couldn't get on line in VB, though; I'll write to Van soon....

Kenny: Jessica sends her love - as always; you're one of her favourites!
Joseph Barlow

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2009 10:31 am    

Hi Roger, It was great to see you again and Shelley and I really enjoyed the show. I hope the other shows went well as I am sure they did. Stay in touch and come see us if your ever passing thru again. Joe
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2009 6:29 pm    

You mean she doesn't like me anymore? Sad
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 5:53 pm    

John!! I'm sorry - I'd forgotten that you played with Jessica in Denver - so I only mentioned Kenny's SGF post to her. I bet she does still like you!!! Embarassed

Joe:

Great to see you and Shelley again! Many thanks for lunch, and for coming to the show. I really enjoyed catching up with you both. I do hope your trip south was enjoyable. I'll call you next time I'm in the area.