| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thank You!
Kevin Cook

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 1:05 pm    

Greetings,

I signed up and posted in 2005 when I borrowed a MCA Sidekick to learn "what the heck" and try to flavor up a tribute song to a friend that didn't make it a few months after a double lung transplant.

I worked on that axe for about 20 hours and eventually was able to lay a acceptable track down but became frustrated with keeping it in tune. Thank you folks for helping through that. I put it up and let it go back to where it came from.

Fast forword.....today, I have a GFI Ultra D-10 setting over to my right which was ordered from Elderly Music and recieved delivery from Fed Ex yesterday. I might have paid too much but don't think so. Although used, it looks brand new and cost $2000 plus $19 shipping. It checked it out and everything seems to work.

Anyway, I might be on this forum quite frequently looking for advice since I have limited knowledge about this beast. I flipped the toggle switch and turned on the neck furtherest away from me. I'm fairly sure that's the E9 neck and tuned it using the chart on the GFI website. I "googled" around and found out how to play I, ii, iii, IV, V, and vi with the pedals and levers on the same strings last night. I was just thinking that I could do (vii dim) substitution by turning the I into a I7.

I was trying to 'jam' along with a song that was recorded on the board the night before that had a VIImaj7 and tried the BC pedal (ii). This is going to be fun!

Regardless, this is going to be a challenge. I am a Saxophonist/Keyboardist with basic guitar finger picking skills. One troublesome area will be using picks on the fingers. I have started expermenting with playing sans picks but articulatation/tone suffers. That's a shame, although no prob in studio, it would be nice to eventually be able to smoothly switch from PSG to keys or sax 'Live" without the taking off and putting on of picks.

Blah Blah Blah.....I'll shut up. I hope you folks won't mind me posting questions ocassionally help me stay on the right track and not pick up bad habits that could hurt me later.

Two Questions: What bar? Is it 1" of 7/8" to start out. Also....around the studio here. Wouldn't a Nashville 112 be just fine.

BTW..I'm giving up this (going on ebay) to do this:

http://coyotedream.com/images/Sportster/3.jpg

Catch Ya Later and Best Regards,

Kevin Cook

Last edited by Kevin Cook on 21 Mar 2009 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 4:39 pm    

sounds like a fair deal on a great steel..not many double necks under that price anymore...probably like a 7/8 bar unless your hands are really big...nash 112 is perfect..quite a few good steelers double on sax...have fun!
Kevin Cook

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 7:57 pm    

I appreciate it Chris. Will do on your advice (7/8 and the Nashville 112).

I was thinking about begging a lesson or two from Steve Palousek since he don't live that far away but he's a very busy dude. I doubt he has the time for private lessons. I was fortunate to do a County/Jazz fusion concert with him about a decade ago. He is awesome.

Anyway, thanks Chris. I'll check back as I move forward on this.

Best Regards,
Kevin Cook