| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you know Someone Who Has Walked Away...
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 10:10 am    

To me it is all about inspiration. There have been 2 times in my life where I gave up steel playing. Both times I came back stronger than ever simply because I was more inspired each time I came back to it. I think if one never quits, yet continues to play uninspired, it is just as bad as hanging up the guitar for a few years.

In 1996 I played 245 dates in 11 months. I was so burnt when I came off the road that I pretty much gave up playing. I simply didn't even feel like touching my guitar. For the next 13 years I would play a jam maybe once every 2 or 3 months. I went back to a single neck during this time.

Last April I bought my first D-10 in 13 years. I learned more C6 in the 8 months following than I had in the 8 years prior to selling my old D-10. What has helped me remain inspired is getting together once a month with other players who are at my level or above. I defy any player to do this and tell me they are stuck in a rut with their playing. Smile

Joe Rogers
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 10:22 am     Re: Do you know Someone Who Has Walked Away...

Bill Hankey wrote:
Do you know someone who had the will to walk away from his steel, while it was still ringing its final notes?

I hear this story very often from new forum members. It's quite common for people to walk away from steel and come back 20 or more years later, when they feel that they finally have enough free time to dedicate to the art.

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 11:17 am    

I think most of those who answered here have put it away for some time, even Lloyd Green had his time off.

I agree with most of what Joe Rogers says, I too lost heart and put my stuff away for 15 years, with no intention of ever starting again. Then someone heard bits of what I used to do and gave me a severe talking to and the inspiration to begin again. I don't play for money, just enjoyment for myself and others who listen. Apart from playing my original equipment, I have gone back to where I started with the Lap Steel (wish I still had my old D8 Guyatone) buying a 1954 Teisco and building replicas of the guitars I like from National. It was never as good as this.

I hope Johnny Cox and others like him eventually think about the special gift they have and at some time in the future when there is no pressure on them to do anything, just share it once more with people waiting to hear.

James Kerr.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 11:18 am    

I traded my D=12 and a fine rig of electronics for my new grandson, Caleb, in 2002. I have had a few regrets but they passed after a year or so. It took longer for the theory and chord construction to exit the building but they did finally. As for what I do instead of the addiction, check out "Caleb and Norfolk Southern" in the Ext Family Forum.

Funny thing; the thought of starting him on this Addiction, has never occured to me. His twin brothers show inclinations towards music and dance but not him. I suppose what they say about; "Some of us have it and some of us don't"; would apply here.

Regards, Paul Cool Cool Cool
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 2:05 pm    

Even though I've been a member and officer of the PSGA for over 30 yrs, I gave up playing steel for about 3 yrs., back in the late 80's. I had no viable gigs and just got burned out from a long stint of 5&6 nighters. I just packed everything up and never even looked at my gear. But, after a while, I began to feel a gnawing deep down inside me and it made me feel really empty. I had everything else I needed, a loving wife, good job, great son, a house, other hobbies, but, something was definately missing. There was a hole in my heart! There was a place that was empty! A very important part of my life and soul was missing. I really knew what the problem was, but, somehow wasn't ready to go back to it. I finally gave in to my urges and have never looked back. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!! I will never stop playing my steel. It's a part of my psyche and my life. That's my story and I've learned from it.
Jack Dougherty

Spring Hill, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 2:40 pm    

Think about this. but first my answer is this......Yes Crying or Very sad

The time you decide to walk away is time you will not get back. We most likely all have stories about giving it a "rest" for a while. Some for very legitimate reasons. In hind sight I have some remorse for doing so. But never the less and again for reasons (spontaneous), I just started again. I had some catching up to do. Not so much fun but it certainly kept it interesting. It was a bit "painful"
to get a jump start. However I never looked back. I will never do that again. IMHO, the best way to avoid this is to always keep the guitar in sight. Not under the bed. Even if for some reason you don't want to play, it will be looking at you. Like pilots, you may stop flying, but you can't walk away.
So unless you have suicidal tendencies, play even if it hurts. Laughing

John....didn't mean to steal your thoughts but I was in your mind set.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 3:39 pm    

"Do you know someone who had the will to walk away from his steel, while it was still ringing its final notes? "

No.... but the mental image of the actual physical act described is absoluletly beautiful.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 8:02 pm    

I walked away from playing music of any sort in around 1986 or so, and didn't really play at all for 8-9 years. Fortunately, I didn't sell my 1980 Franklin.

When I started playing again, while my chops might not have been 100%, my musicianship was much greater, because I was playing what I wanted to hear, rather than copping somebody else's licks.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 9:20 pm    

That almost happened to me, about 27 years ago. I had been playing for three years, when one evening he invited me for coffee. He told me that the band wasn't making any money, and he had to let me go. I was so distraught over it I told my folks that, I was going sell my rig and guitar. But a good friend of mine and local player, along with my folks talked me out of it. I was about 24 at the time. My mother told me that she loved to hear me play, while my friend told me to keep up my playing to keep skills up and somebody will pick me up sooner or later. And they were both right.My friend also told me that he was in between bands before, and thought about doing the same thing. He quickly changed his mind. That's why when I go work with a new band, I tell the boss up front, that if it ever comes time to let me go, don't invite me for coffee.lol. Sure I get frustrated at times, we all do. But I never quit working on my playing. While I am in between bands.
Kenny Martin

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 1:57 am    

I first sat behind my Daddy's 69' Emmons in 1970!
He said i would never be able to totally walk away from it but that it can walk away from you if you are not careful!

Not quite sure how that happens but over the years i think i get it! It's a passion as with anything you do and at some point Daddy said you can let it become somthing that is more important than anything in your life!
I will say that at that point is when it walked away from me! For almost 1 year it left me and i played 2 times in that year! Why, because i realized i missed kids growing up, spending time with family and taking the time to actually enjoy playing shows! I was playing 48 weekends a year and doing shows in between those!

All i will say for the young player out there is be sure to balance your time and don't miss other things that can actually improve you as a player by having a clear focus!

Daddy said anytime you take a material thing and try to put a soul in it, it will leave you!!!

"It's the passion of playing and truly having fun for me today"!!
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 10:28 am    

Regrets are unquestionably entities that account for not coming face to face with important issues, until something occurs that will prevent ever returning to familiar situations. One situation in particular raises havoc with peace of mind. I feel very strongly to be concerned, very concerned, if you have babes at home. Calling a neighbor's teen-aged daughter to manage your children's welfare, is out of the question. Perhaps an understanding should be agreed upon, much the same as a prenuptial agreement to read; our underaged children will always have one parent in charge of their upbringing. Absolutely no driving off in the dark of night to play while a child longs for a parent to be present in the home. Nothing surpasses the importance of your children facing life with certainty. Smile

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Mar 2009 5:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 10:37 am    

About 17 years ago I played in a crappy duo with a friend of mine up here in Anchorage.An older white haired gentleman used to come in a few times a month and sit at the bar in front of me and give me a ration of crap for not holding my bar the right way,and I should get my hands together and remarks like that,I asked him he wanted to sit in and he told me that he hadn't played in years?From time to time he would bring his brother in,His brother told me that he never could play very well?Anyway I found years later from a forumite that this guy was a monster player at one time his name was or is Alex Click from the Pacific Northwest...Even though he was giving me crap he did it in a friendly way.I always wondered what his whole story was?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 10:51 am    

I stopped playing my steel for a couple years but I always played my guitars, never stopped ever.
It's been like my BFF all my life and never says no. Laughing

I did stop playing gigs for a a long time, just got burnt out.
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 12:30 pm     2 years

I've only got 2 years into PSG, but sometimes I get so frustrated trying to "get that sound", I'm ready to sell. Then next morning, I find myself up early, before work, hopeful & hacking away again. Smile

I've played a 6 sring for 40+ years, and walked away from that and the money I made doin' it.
Rick
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 1:41 pm    

Rick,

If you haven't tried jamming with others who enjoy helping out with some of the less obvious moves on the steel, you'd no doubt forget about getting disappointed. A few good licks will change the train of thoughts; as in "pronto" overnight.
bill mitchell

chattanooga, tn usa
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 4:29 pm    

Until tonight I thought I was the only (or one of the few) people who became disgusted with lack of progress and pushed it under the bed.
That was 1982, and it stayed there most of the time until the late 90's. I was playing weekends in a couple of Texas clubs back then and finally did the unforgivable....got up in the middle of a set, packed up and left. No great loss to that little group of pickers. I wasn't mad at anybody but myself.
Looking back at that period, I had a demanding and stressful day job..that probably added to my frustration with the instrument and everything else.
I'm glad I didn't sell it.
When I set it up again there was a lot more enthusiasm and I looked at with a different attitude.
I'll always be hooked on that sound.
Some of my BBox tracks now surprise me. My family likes them! Although my coworkers don't know what an sg really is...and probably don't care..they said nice things about my Christmas C-D.
I'm not sorry I came back.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 6:42 pm    

I walked away from gigging, but not from playing. The club scene was still happening, and I could go out and sit in whenever I wanted, without HAVING to. It was the best of both worlds. I kept the fun part, without any of the headaches.

I also started working on my recordings at this time.
Rick Winfield

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 4:47 am     Key

Bill H:
therin lies the key: jammin' with others will always do the trick ! Here in Jersey the few steelers I've heard are pro's,(intimidating) but once I'm established in Fl.,full time,there will be lots more people interested in jammin for "pleasure".
Mike:
I've heard some of your cuts, and am more than impressed ! i hope to eventually reach a situation where I can enjoy "the best of both worlds" on PSG
Bill M :
In 1979, I tried to play steel, (Maverick), but having 2 babies, a day job, and night gigging (6 string) I didn't have the time available. I never forgot that sound and always loved it. So at age 56, I started up again. (Marlen D10, & now Carter)

BTW: in spite of a little negative slant to my previous post, I awoke today a 06:00, (no work) and just put in 2 hours trying to get a Beck kinda version of an old Helms tune.
Long live Pedal Steel !!
Rick
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 4:57 am    

Mike,

There are numerous influences from my own point of view that could conceivably curtail a well organized set of plans. Some may experience a brief interlude with thoughts such as; where did things go wrong? Or if I only knew then...none of those things would have occurred. When a player first strikes up the music, it is not known how far he will go. In simple terms it could be stated; striking out, and then striking out. Needless to say, onlookers find pleasure in observing a fully motivated talent grow with the passing of time. That seed of inspiration will always remain tucked in the niches of memories, enabling those who have walked away, to return to musical activities, and perhaps... find greater pleasures than were at first realized.
Rick Winfield

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 5:12 am     thanks

Those are wise, insightful, and inspiring words.I'm sure others, as well as myself, will benefit from this, and will put its message to use.
i.e. one day, in a "brain freeze", I'll let go, and let it flow.
There were a few, once upon a time, who asked me "how & why" and I was glad to share my 6 string knowledge and enjoyed watching them grow with it. It seemed we were ALL connected, no matter what level of progress we had personally reached. Sometimes we can get in our own way, & other times it's not the "right" time, but we have a gift, curse, burden, & best friend in our love of music, and sharing it with other musicians, as well as the audience, makes it live & breathe
rick
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 5:41 am    

Rick,

Everyone needs a boost by people like you who contribute to the expansion of musical interests, by discussing openly, how changes in lifestyles cause diversified interests. I feel better about future practice sessions, after reading the responses, from the best source of information available.. the readers of The Steel Guitar Forum.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 7:27 am    

Just wondering Bill if this is a double question? There are those that quit playing steel in bands (not by their own choosing)because Jobs were and are hard to come by..Vs actually putting the instrument away..I know many cases where great players can't get work on the PS so they return to just plain guitar..Sometimes they set up both but find not enough playing time to make setting the steel up worth while..And then of course there is the age factor..The key that remains always is not to limit ones self and his abilities to adapt to the ever changing music scene.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 9:00 am    

Joe,

As you know from a professional viewpoint, some musicians show up driving vehicles that are unaffordable from dance hall salaries. There was a musician who could imitate steel guitar licks on a six string guitar. His speaker cabinets grillwork were made from chicken coop meshed steel wire. The outer coverings resembled debarking of trees in forested landscapes. His Fender guitar was all business though. He lived in the Boston, MA for quite some time. I saw him play in the "Copa" back in the seventies. Motor vehicles at times offer clues of other income sources. I'm sure that you "drew" from what a steel player could do on stage, on band night. I hope you are doing fine in those southern climes.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 4:24 am    

A significant number of steel guitarists from New England have settled in Florida. I've known some who became all thumbs, before going back to the 6 string guitar. Taking friendly associations for granted is a favorite thing to do in the music world. Unfortunately, unforeseen changes, and personal losses contribute to packing up the steel, and trying to overcome the difficulty of tossing away that which had taken years to achieve. One consolation to rely upon, is our ability to gain new friendships. We all experience personal losses. Walking away from the steel guitar with no tears is a very difficult thing to do.
Roger Light

Sheldon, IL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 7:37 am     I did!

I just walked away. Not necessarily the steel, but from the live music scene in general. Tired of playing the Moose's and VFW's around here to just a hand full of people that really could care less if there is a steel in the band or not. The door is still open for me if I want to come back, but I need a break. Going to go to our place on the river this summer and RELAX!

P.S. maybe I'll start a rock band with steel in it. That's not been done around here. I'll bet we would have more than a hand full of people at the gigs!! LOL.

P.S.S. That was a joke Winking