| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you know Someone Who Has Walked Away...
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 4:25 pm    

Do you know someone who had the will to walk away from his steel, while it was still ringing its final notes? Everyone knows that getting hooked on the steel, amounts to a lifetime of practice sessions. Have you ever felt the urge to quit and never look back?
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 4:46 pm    

No-Been playin' for nine years, can't quit now. I just took a long break recently, though.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 4:52 pm    

Before I got my Emmons, the guitar I was playing would stop ringing before I could get my hands away from the neck. It's easy to quit playing. I've quit several hundred times.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 5:13 pm    

I always told my mom, dad, and myself that if I ever did quit steel, I'd regret it and be kinda upset, but that ain't gonna happen. A few years ago, another steel player had asked me if I'd stopped playin' and I said "No". At the time, I was recovering from a sore hip, so it was kinda hard to play when I couldn't walk for awhile. I think it's okay to take breaks from playin' some, but if you quit, you might regret it. So, don't let the quittin' bug bite ya, keep playin' this beautiful instrument we call the steel guitar.

Brett

Last edited by Brett Day on 12 Mar 2009 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 5:21 pm    

Well, Johnny Cox just did...

As for myself, I walked away for 10 years before coming back about 1983. I regret the time I took off and wish I could have those years back.

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 12 Mar 2009 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corky Anderson

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 6:03 pm    

At this point in time I have no intention to quit playing. It might be a different story 5 or 10 years down the road though. I just love it too much and I'm having a lot of fun in the music biz right now Smile Smile

Carter D-10 Nashville 1000/400

Tele.............twin............boss pedals
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 7:12 pm    

I haven't worked more than ‘maybe’ 10-jobs in the past 10-yrs., and don't expect to work any more jobs playing steel! I haven't put ‘them’ under the bed yet, but; I seldom play them, even at home. It's been so long that I can honestly say, I've gotten pretty used to it. I started playing 61-yrs. ago. (1948) Been to all but 1-state (Alaska) and half-way around the world! (Far East)
Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 7:37 pm    

Well I can't speak for Johnny, but I have a feeling that he has not quit playing, but rather quit relying on playing steel to make a living.
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 7:47 pm    

I know someone who was well known in SC and GA that just walked away from the steel a few months ago and hasn't looked back. I wont mention his name without permission (dont want to get in trouble Oh Well )
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 8:12 pm    

I walked away for over 20 years. Sad But I eventually came back. Smile
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 8:17 pm    

I quit for 12 or 15 years - went through a bad bout of depression and didn't want to play at all. It's slowly coming back.

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 8:24 pm    

When I moved to Albuquerque New Mexico I Quit playing. Steel was in the closet for 7 years. I still picked a little bit on my 6 string. I have brought it out and cleaned it up, changed strings and played it a little bit. It was frustrating at first, I know what to do but my fingers were not cooperating.I am looking forward to practicing again to get my chops back. Robbie Springfield,Do you remember me in Houston ? We played in a Marlboro Radio contest, That your band won.
Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 8:42 pm    

Randy Beavers stepped away for a few years.......and then he came back playing better than ever. Fresh ears and a whole new approach I guess.
Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 9:00 pm    

RC, I can't say that I recall meeting you, but then there are a lot of things I don't remember so please don't be offended. We did several of those contest back then and I think the one your speaking of was held at Gilley's. You'll have to refresh my memory of further details.
Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 1:27 am    

I walked away -90,or thereabouts,when I realized I
was making a lot more money composing & arranging
music for Theatres,Multi-Media Shows etc ; this
resulted in a VERY long hiatus,unfortunately...but,
a couple of years ago I was talked into getting re-
started,and it´s like I´m living a full life
again,I really owe these people...footnote:I DID take
the PSG out of the case on a number of occations for
the odd session,but apart from that my axe was
taking a rest in storage rooms etc ; to end this
footnote on a HIGH note...I´m glad I came around &
it´s more fun than ever,never another hiatus...McUtsi
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 1:54 am    

How very interesting! Making intelligible sense of coming back after intentionally walking away, no doubt would support Brett's reminder that in doing so may lead to regrets. Looking back on things that we could have done, most certainly would trigger regrets. Important decisions can be governed by a muscle, no larger than a fist. Speaking of the heart of course, as it keeps pace with all the joys we've known.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 2:23 am    

I once read an article/interview in Guitar Player magazine about the great jazz/fusion guitarist Al DiMeola. Al had taken up pedal steel and had been playing it 8 or 9 years and doing very well from what I'd heard. He stated that he had to give it up and sell the "damn thing" as it was hurting his bread and butter, namely his standard guitar playing. He said that the pedal steel was the most "addicting" instrument he'd ever known and that every time he'd come home he'd go right to the steel and never touch his guitar which was his money maker so he had to give it up to keep his guitar chops up to par.

Personally, at one point I was playing lead guitar with a local group who worked a lot and my steel was in the case for over two years at one point. A few years ago I went to Saluda to the show and Buddy asked me to play a morning set. I said yes which was a mistake as when I did the set I couldn't hit anything right. I even have a recording of my set which I play sometimes just to remind me of what not playing will do to your confidence. After that, I leave my steel set up and play it all I can. I'm now gigging two nights a week on steel and two on guitar so all's well........JH in Va.

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 4:12 am    

I ran into Sonny Burnette about 3 years or so after he left the Opry, asked him if he was playing anywhere.

He said he put the steel in the case after the last show, went home and shoved it under the bed and never touched it again.

Never heard that he played after that.
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 4:55 am    

A friend of mine played for almost ten years, went to Jeff Newman school, was one of the better steel guitar players in the area.He met a woman an got married. He quit 31 years ago sold all his stuff an has never looked back. AIN'T love gran.

Jerry
Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 4:57 am    

I quit for 12 years maybe longer. It was like starting all over again when I decided to start playing again. Won't make the same mistake again.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 5:21 am    

If Al DeMeola played steel for 8-9 years, I'll be he was goood. I'd love to hear what he sounded like before he hung it up.
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 5:25 am    

I played my first steel gig in 23 years last Saturday. i have three more this month. Of course going back to school at 40 to becom a teacher, and living in a small house in Japan didn't help matters... -L-

I'm b-a-c-k... :- )
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 7:11 am     Took a break!

Put it in the case in 92, total burnout. Woke up one day in 05 and started learning all over again. Sure would like to have that time back. But when your fried.... Wish now, I had just throttled back. The fact is, I can do things now I couldn't do then and could do things then, I can't do now...
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 7:23 am    

Quit in Nov 1979........sold all the gear.......bought a new one in June 1996. Still have not got back to the ability I had when I quit.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 7:24 am    

After playing 4-5 nights a week from 1982 I quit playing from 1993-1995 but thanks to an old band pal I started again in 1996 and haven't slowed down since.