| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TEXAS...........here we come!
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 12:09 am    

Well, we started planning this trek to Texas, back in
December and wouldn't you know, it got here long before WE were ready for it.

On Monday, the wife and I, Missy Dawg and Sugar Baby will depart sometime in the early AM and hope to arrive there by mid-day Thursday. We've packed up a ton of CD's and cassettes to enjoy on the way down. The wife insisted I secure a CB for highway safety for the trip, so we did this in addition to installing a Uniden Scanner. Always fun to have company in the car. When we traded our 2000 Ford conv. van in on this 2001 Mini-Van, we had to let go of the two like radios that we had installed in it. That was a great vehicle, having safely taken us to Dallas, Spokane, Joliet, Okanogan, BC., and San Francisco twice.

Our GPS will guide us accurately on our trip, as always.

We'll be picking up some new Bigsby type guitars at Glide, OR, from Todd Clinesmith. I've decided to take along my Quad BIGSBY, the same one that didn't make it into the PAUL A. BIGSBY book.

Looking forward to meeting David Hartley and Keith, both from the U.K., Doug Seymour, George Pilburn,
Rick Alexander, Jeff Strouse and Michael Misetich plus a number of other fine folks, the names of whom I can't recall at this late hour.

Looking forward to having a great time and getting to meet a lot of new steel guitar people. We managed to snag rooms at the Sheridan so this will make it easier for a couple of elderly people.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 2:59 am     Great!

Have a safe journey, We should be there Wednesday evening till Monday. I am already stretching my arms ready to see if I can reach the front neck of the bigsby!

David Hartley
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 6:20 am     YOU may be stretching your arms............

BUT, I'm stretching my back, attempting to disassemble the BIGSBY so it can be stored in its case for the long journey south. Oh I almost forgot, THEN, I have to lift it into and out of the van. WHEW! Gettin' old is no fun.

Take care to you!
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 6:58 am    

Hey Ray,,,I feel like I already know you after we've seen each other's post on the forum so often,,,but please look me up,,,and I'll be looking for you! I won't have my table with my little lap steels this year,but some friends of mine will have the same table located about halfway down the main hall on the left,,,I'm sure I'll be hanging around there. Looking forward to meeting you.
Mac McGhee

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 7:47 am    

Ray did you get the doggies taken care of?
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 8:19 am     Sonny and Mac.....................

Sonny........Thanks for the kind words. I'll sure try to look you up but if I fail to on my end, it will only be because my mind has failed me, once again. It will not be any attempt on my part to avoid you. If we haven't run across each other in a reasonable amount of time, would you be kind enough to search me out. PLEASE, I'd enjoy meeting you.

And Mac..........yes, thank you. We're bringing the two little ones and they have a place to stay that should be nice and comfy for them both. It's gonna cost nearly as much for the two of them, as the hotel is gonna cost Sally and me.

Hope to meet you soon. Ray
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 10:45 am    

Ray; When you return home, please contact me with your assesment of the Clinesmith [Bigsby]. I'm seriously interested and trying to make plans. I only ever owned one ‘Cadillac’, but; it was a ’53 and the transmission gave up! ha! The used~car lot was asking only $300 and they allowed me $50 for my ’52 Mercury and let me keep it too! (Of course, this was back in the 60's!)
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 6:32 pm     Don't worry, Ray...

...I'm sure there will be more books on Bigsby, and I can't imagine future authors making the same mistake of not including your spotless and priceless quad.

You and Sal have a super safe trio to and fro', and take it easy. One little strain/pull will take you out of all the fun at the party! Let someone else have the pride and joy of carrying all those birdseye beauties for you in Texas.

Be sure to tell us about the great time when you can.