| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  paul's vertical knee lever G# to B ????
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2009 7:18 pm    

I was wandering if anyoune here on the forum uses there LKV lever this way. I've been using my LKV lever to drop my B to Bb. I use this so much I don't like being without it. It makes for some wonderful phrasing.

I am curious what does Paul gets from raising his 6th (G#) to B instead of using a typical lower on the 5th (B) to Bb or A.----Are there any sound examples of using this change.

By the way, does anyone know his current setup. His website is not changed for a couple of years now.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2009 9:00 pm    

Last I heard, he switched between this change and lowering the 6th G# to E, having both changes rodded and tuning up and using whichever he felt would suit the song better.
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 5:46 pm    

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 8:13 pm    

My vert raises string 6 to a "B". It fits in real well on bluegrassy songs and up-tempo honky tonk songs.
A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 9:13 pm    

Ben I have to say this since you have alot of PF post's out there

Create your own style!!!! Why do you want to have PF set-up? Do you think you "sound" like him?

Paul Franklin is a good guy to have as a role model but yourself

Most guys change their set-up all the time....it never stops...
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 10:50 am    

AJ you're right that I need to create my own style but at the same time everyone's style is a conglomeration of our favorite artist licks, phrases, etc. That is what we all do, we hear the songs by our favorite artists and that is what inspires us to play.

And by the way, of course I don't think I sound like Paul. I wish I did. Even if I play everyday for the rest of my life I'll never be that good. Maybe if I was as good as you then I wouldn't have to try so hard.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 1:17 pm    

Ben,

I agree with you.

While the greats have NO problem playing like themselves, you can be assured of the following in MOST cases:

If a lessor player does not play the famous licks of the greats, he is more often than not, not going to be called back.

As Tommy Dodd said (who plays differently than others), "I try to learn all the licks and be prepared".

Or words to that affect. In fact, Tommy blew me away one night in Powderville, SC many years ago, when a singer played Marty Robbins' infamous, "Don't Worry Bout Me".

Tommy, being the only lead instrument that night, played that "distorted" guitar break JUST like on Marty's original record. NOTE for note, sound for sound, timbre for timbre, etc for etc.

From that moment on, Tommy became one of my all time favorites. Since then I have heard him do it many many times. It seems like he KNOWS every famous player's licks to the nth degree. Takes a LOT of work and time to have that in your bag of tricks, and then also develop your own style.

I saw Bill Ferguson do this also one time in Saluda, SC. When the singer sang "Waltz Across Texas" and one would have thought it was Buddy Charleton playing that break. Bill plays nothing like Charleton, but when it called for it, he was prepared.

In other words, even though a singer may not know the first thing about a PSG, IF he sings "Together Again", in most cases, he WANTS who ever is playing steel, to mimic that exact same "break" that Tom Brumely did 50 yrs ago on that original recording!

If ya 'caint' do that to most of them, you may find yourself playing only for yourself. IMO.

Again, IF you are a Buddy Emmons, Curly Chalker or Paul Franklin, etc, THAT is another story. But if you are not one of them, ya better learn the famous licks and learn 'em quick.

Cuz if'n that singer sings "Higway 40 Blues", ya better get all 'dem little "faster then lightning" licks that Bruce Bouton got. Or else. (Or was that Terry Crisp?) Can't remember, but the point is made.

This is one of the reasons Ray Price lauded Mike Cass on "Invitation to the Blues", on live video once. Mike nailed it, and this song came out in all likely-hood before Mike was born, Not sure. In any case, Mike was prepared. And it showed on Ray's face and body language when he introduced Mike as Mike played what Jimmy Day had once made famous.

Finaly, get this: One time a man was passing Buddy and Jimmy Day, and the man said to Jimmy, "You are the one that did NOT play on "Night Life"!

Then Jimmy exclaimed, "No but I could've!"

'Course, since Jimmy was an incredible player in his own right, it probably would not have sounded anything like what Buddy did, but the world of steel guitar AND Ray would have lauded it to this day in all likelyhood.

Since most of us are NOT the Jimmy Day's, we can not afford that freedom.

"If'n ya wanna stay busy, learn 'dem licks".

carl

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 2:37 pm    

I raise my 5th and 6th string together using my 3th. pedal. 5th. string B to C# 6th sring G# to B. also my 7th string from F# to G# using my 4th. pedal ,I have a full E6th. I play a 12 string,my 9th sting is tuned to C#. So I do raise my 6th.string G# to B.I also raise my 9th string from C# to D with my RKR lever. joe