| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transition From Six String Lap To Pedal Steel?
Dennis Burling

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 6:15 am    

I bought a Pettingill Six String Lap Steel and really love it. I haven't been at it that long, but long enough to know It's not going to be a passing fancy with me. I've been thinking about giving a Pedal Steel a try. I have a buddy who has a Carter Starter Pedal Steel and has offered to send it to me to try. He's not using it at all, but doesn't want to sell it.

I should say I'm not a quick study. I'm slow and steady on anything new. So, how hard is it to go from a six string lap steel to a pedal steel? Since I'm not that far into the lap steel, I thought it might be a good time to give it a try. My biggest concern is the string spacing. It seems like there's a lot going on with a lap steel (feet, knees, 10 strings etc.) that give me that deer in the headlights feeling.

Advice and thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Denny
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 6:24 am    

For some, it's easy. For others, it can be quite daunting. It's impossible for anyone to say how well and how fast you will learn, but if you've got a chance to try a "tener", go for it! The only advice I would give is to go easy on the pedals. Many new players stomp and kick them like they're part of a tractor, not a musical instrument.

Just keep at it. Slow and steady wins the race.
Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 6:43 am    

String spacing is positively NOT going to be the
greatest challenge in going from non-pedal to PSG,
but You´re right on the spot when referring to the
multitude of tasks to attend to:floor pedals,knee
levers going left,right,up...isolation of movement
of foot on volume pedal and RKL/R,getting used to
strings changing in pitch,understanding of the
mechanics,adjustments etc...take that Carter Starter
home ASAP,if possible,and get to know the instru-
ment,start from scratch and You´ll get hooked...
McUtsi
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 7:12 am    

Do you have any experience with standard guitar?

One of the nicest things about going to E9 pedal steel from 6 string guitar is that the two main "pedal positions" directly mirror the two main barre chord positions on guitar, ie; open E and open A. Using no pedals on E9 tuning gives you the familiar "E form" barre positions, G at fret 3, C at fret 8 etc.
Holding the first 2 pedals down changes those same positions to A open, C at the 3rd fret, F at the 8th fret and so on.
So you have a starting reference that makes it easier to play along with songs right from the beginning.
Most of us then added chord and scale knowledge based on those two positions, or relative to those positions.
Get hold of Winnie Winston's pedal steel book if you can!

If your transition is from only having played lap steel, it depends a bit on the tuning, if you've been using C6 some of the positions on E9 may take some getting used to. The E9 tuning is really set up around providing changes to diatonic chords in country, folk, pop, rock, type songs. A foundation in the number system will be a big help in understanding both the tuning and training your ear to play different kinds of songs.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 7:52 am    

One of the biggest things is the bar handling techniques. With a "lap" steel or a Dobro the usual method is to pick up the bar and move it to the new position you want. With a Pedal Steel, the "preferred" technique is to mute the strings with the right hand and SLIDE the bar to the new position. Muting is done with the right hand.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 8 Mar 2009 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 10:07 am    

I'm getting ready to go from lap steel to pedal myself. The bar handling is something you CAN work on with the lap steel. I have begun doing it in the pedal guitar fashion in anticipation.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 11:32 am    

borrow the carter starter...by the end of the day you'll know that you probably want one, but borrowing one to try out is the ticket.
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 11:46 am    

For me, a newbie, getting used to finger picks took a while. Palm blocking was and is another challenge. Getting my head straight on the fact that there is no room for error, that everything has to be correct to make a PSG sound good, took me awhile. The rewards are great when you hit the magic combination though. As you progress, it happens more and more.

Get some good instruction material like the Jeffran CDs and learn correct technique from the get go. It was hard for me to do this after being somewhat proficient on six string and bass. You will be back to taking baby steps. Do the simple exercises over and over and then reward yourself at the end of your practice by working out songs.

I was lucky to get a loaner Starter for the first month or so. A month with a Starter will tell you if PSG is going to stick, but you WILL want a pro guitar soon. Start saving now. I hope you are willing to budget an hour a day to practice.

You must also realize you will never know all that is in this instrument, but discovering, or more truthful being shown, new concepts and changes is the most fun I've had with an instrument in a long while.
Dennis Burling

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 11:58 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
One of the biggest things is the bar handling techniques. With a "lap" steel or a Dobro the usual method is to pick up the bar and move it to the new position you want. With a Pedal Steel, the "preferred" technique is to mute the strings with the left hand and SLIDE the bar to the new position. Muting is done with the left hand.

Jack, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around muting with the left hand. I understand muting with the left by lifting the bar, muting with the left while sliding the bar? I guess I've got to see how to do this. Whoa!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 12:25 pm    

Would you believe mute with the RIGHT hand? I must have been asleep when I wrote that. Cool