| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  “do it yourself” PSG repairs
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 2:42 pm    

Will your PSG builder sell and ship you parts for “do it yourself” repairs?
I am thinking of purchasing a new PSG from a builder, not yet decided upon, who is still in business.
Being out of business is one of the issues I have with Sho-Bud, but I’ve never had a problem getting parts to repair it.
I just learned that a PSG builder doesn’t sell parts for “do it yourself” repairs.
Is this the new trend?
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 2:47 pm    

Why don't you call THEM, who you are refering to, and post what THEY got to say about it? Meaning know disrespect, but since they are the once who have that policy, shouldn't they be the ones asked?
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 3:22 pm    

My question is for consumers who have had experience with replacement parts from their builders. I think this is a fair question about something that is very important for me to know before I buy.
This is one of the perks of being a Forum member. I can ask and get great insight on things about Steel guitar including builders and their track record and policies.
There is no need for anyone to get defensive. I'm not making a judgment or trying to get anyone to change their policies.
James Morehead

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 3:34 pm    

Bo Legg wrote:
My question is for consumers who have had experience with replacement parts from their builders. I think this is a fair question about something that is very important for me to know before I buy.

There is no need for anyone to get defensive. I'm not making a judgment or trying to get anyone to change their policies.

You hit the nail on the head--there is no need to get defensive.

My post was because "consumers" did not enact such policy, though through buisness dealings, some consumers probably INSPIRED such policys. If it does not come from the builders, wouldn't it be just hearsay and speculation?
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 3:37 pm    

I buy all my needed parts as needed and never have any problem what so ever when Bobbie answers the phone at Emmons guitars she is always very nice to talk with and my parts are here in about a week maybe two. she has my card on file and its done quick, Im happy they are happy and I still have a wonderful guitar build to what I want and adjusted to how I want it

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 3:43 pm    

Thank you for this info Joseph.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 3:50 pm    

Quote:
I just learned that a PSG builder doesn’t sell parts for “do it yourself” repairs.
Is this the new trend?

If you're looking at a new guitar that you even think will need "repairs", maybe you oughta be looking at another brand?

Just a thought. Wink
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 4:37 pm    

Being an inverterate "tinkerer", I would never buy a new steel,if replacement parts were unavailable from the manufacturer. I just can't imagine any of today's steel builders refusing to supply most of its customer parts needs.

Updated parts might be another issue. If the builder feels that a particular upgraded part may not work without significant modification to the instrument, then demanding that the work be done by the factory or an authorized mechanic seems reasonable.

Last edited by Tony Glassman on 7 Mar 2009 9:00 am; edited 4 times in total
Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 4:40 pm    

Bo,
I had experiences with two PSG companies during 2008. BMI and Emmons. Both were "Johnny on the spot" with the parts I needed.
On a side note, I have purchased Push/Pull parts from Emmons for several years to complete different repair projects, and have never had a problem getting parts or strings from them. Bobbe is a peach to deal with.
Cheers,
Benton
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 5:51 pm    

I needed a part for my GFI keyless D-10. I called them up and Bob got it to me PDQ.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2009 9:23 pm    

Donny Hinson
Quote:
If you're looking at a new guitar that you even think will need "repairs", maybe you oughta be looking at another brand?

Donny, I’m a pedal tramper and Knee lever banger, I break Knee levers and pedals. They don’t call me Leggs for nothing

Jerry Erickson
Bob got his parts to him for his GFI keyless D-10. PDQ.

Benton Allen
BMI and Emmons "Johnny on the spot" with the parts I needed

Tony Glassman
Quote:
Updated parts might be another issue. If the builder feels that a particular upgraded part may not work without significant modification to the instrument, then demanding that the work be done by the factory or an authorized mechanic seems reasonable

Makes good sense to me also.

James Morehead, thank you for your comments and they have a lot of merit. I hope you don’t think I was referring to your reply when I said there is no need for anyone to get defensive.
A consumer report is a valuable tool for businesses. That’s why they send out these surveys for you to fill out regarding their service... The Forum can produce these consumer reports free of charge sparing the builder the time and expense.
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 7:48 am    

Bo: "I just learned that a PSG builder doesn’t sell parts for “do it yourself” repairs."

Bo if you're referencing the recent thread between Rains and the other gent, then I would believe you're talking apples and oranges. The Rains "Mod" is not a repair, it is a comprehensive modification up to even a changer replacement in some cases. I'm not sure if you were the manufacturer you would want to warranty a guitar for life with just any shade tree "thinks he's a great mechanic" doing such a comprehensive modification. I even would bet you wouldn't go for it as a manufacturer. Even though i don't speak for any manufacturers i would bet any of them would consider shipping you a part for a necessary "repair", but not a modification. That's my take. I have done extensive repairs, modifications, and parts replacements on probably well over a hundred guitars, and even though I warranted my work and made good on any and all needed corrections, I would have expected the owner be told that the manufacturer's warranty would probably void if I did the work, and they were. And this discussion can go way over the top if some specifics are not made early. Do you agree?

phred

Think about it!!
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 8:20 am    

I have never had any problem getting parts from Rains. They have always been prompt and great about it.

Bo, Did you get my email ?

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 9:32 am    

From what I have read on various threads dealing with service issues, most complainers seem vested in getting service outside the parameters set by the builder. The builders all seem willing to provide parts for repairs or additions. Builders also seem prefer to do upgrade and modification work at their place. Sounds reasonable to me.

Any owner (new or used) who thinks a builder should change how he services and supports his product because an owner does not want to follow instructions or chose from the offered options is ridiculous and unrealistic.

Those are typically the people who complain on the forum about service.

Alan James
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 9:47 am    

Quote:
Any owner (new or used) who thinks a builder should change how he services and supports his product because an owner does not want to follow instructions or chose from the offered options is ridiculous and unrealistic.

You might also include any customer that doesn't pay his bills should not expect much customer support.

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 9:55 am    

Bob Hoffnar, thank you, a consumer who s got parts without any trouble for his Rains. I'm pleased.
I would have to say now that I know of no PSG builder so far who does not sell "do it yourself" repair parts.

Fred Shannon, I do agree. I wasn't referring to the mod when when I stated that a builder does not sell do it yourself repairs, and I do have to retract that statement because clearly Mr Hoffner recieved parts.

It would have been nice if I had gotten this simple answer before instead of the usual my "Rains is a great guitar" heck I already knew that.
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 11:00 am    

I believe that certain very top end auto manufacturers have had a similar policy, to avoid having the car's reputation damaged by inexpert srevice. A person buying a Rains PSG isn't buying just a bucket of parts, but rather the careful assembly and adjustment that makes the instrument so easy to play. Having the guitar serviced by the maker ensures that playability continues.

If you are breaking pedals and levers, returning the instrument to the maker for repairs gives him the opportunity to develope more durable components that can withstand your playing style.

I don't play (can't afford) boutique quality instruments, so I do my own service work. But, if I wereplaying a top end instrument and the maker had such a policy, I'd have no problem accepting it. Of course, that all assumes I could afford such an instrument , and a spare to use while it's away.
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 11:07 am    

who needs to buy parts chet atkins used the screen wire from the door to get something to play Very Happy

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 5:36 pm    

Chet used the sidewalk to file his fingernails.
If Chet Atkins had been a PSG player maybe Nashville would have gone in a different direction.
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 5:38 pm    

you nailed it bo

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 5:40 pm    

Oh, you were talking about Rains, Bo? I naturally thought it was someone else. Embarassed

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 6:20 pm    

Bo Legg wrote:

It would have been nice if I had gotten this simple answer before instead of the usual my "Rains is a great guitar" heck I already knew that.

Well, why didn't you say so, Ida give ya Carps number?! Whoa!
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 6:51 pm    

Meanwhile back at the ranch yet another bad day at the Forum for Bo

Rocky Hill

Prairie Village,Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 8:02 pm     Re: “do it yourself” PSG repairs

Bo Legg wrote:
I am thinking of purchasing a new PSG from a builder, not yet decided upon, who is still in business.
Being out of business is one of the issues I have with Sho-Bud, but I’ve never had a problem getting parts to repair it.
Is this the new trend?

I wanted to buy a fretboard for my GFI when the silk screened top started to peel. When I called and asked to buy one, the answer I got was use a little glue, it will be good as new.

I guess if I wanted to re glue it, I wouldn't have called and asked to buy a new fretboard.

That was my only experience with TRYING to buy a part for my steel, It wasn't very encouraging.

Rocky
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 9:11 am    

Quote:

I think Bo asked a legitimate question, which was phrased generally like this:

Quote:

So I disagree that this is not a reasonable question to ask on "The Steel Guitar Forum". A pedal steel is a sensitive mechanical contraption, and IMHO, they will all need repairs eventually. So I think it's reasonable to ask if there are builders out there who won't supply parts. It is my opinion in the 6-string guitar world, there are some suppliers who make it pretty bloody difficult to get parts. How would you feel if Chrysler or GM told you that the only way you could get a factory part was to have it installed by a dealer, or told you that you should really bang out that fender that got crunched in an accident?

I understand the desire to maintain quality control, and I also understand the need to protect one's trademarks, which explains why things that bear them need to be handled carefully. But I would definitely shy away from a maker of anything - guitar, pedal steel, or anything else - that was insistent that I send an instrument back to the factory for repair or told me that I'm too ignorant to know if I needed a fretboard, a changer finger, or something else that was essential to my instrument.

I honestly think it would be better to answer Bo's question directly than assume it's some dig on anybody. I'm glad to see some answers finally, but I don't think anybody should bury this thread.

You can see from their websites that both Emmons and Carter have extensive parts support for their guitars. I've heard the same personally about BMI. I don't know about other builders, but I would find it interesting to hear other peoples' experiences. I'll bet that one can get parts from most of them, and I think it would be better to use this space to answer that question directly.

My opinions, naturally.