| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tahitian Steel
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 6:07 pm    

I recently bought an LP by the Surfers from Tahiti. Eddie Bush plays steel, with Bob Nichols on Ukulele and Emil Richards on vibes.

Sounds like the standard Hawaiian set-up to me. Does anyone have any information on the history of steel guitar in Tahiti ? Is it just Hawaiian music moved south, or is there a separate history ?
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 10:45 pm    

Alan asks,
Quote:
Is it just Hawaiian music moved south, or is there a separate history ?

I believe that Hawaiian music moved south, east, north and west from Hawaii. Smile

Some early history of music in Tahiti may be found at

http://www.thetahititraveler.com/general/artdance.asp

Ukuleles and guitars were introduced to Polynesia beginning in the late 1800s, and by the 1920s strumming under palm trees had become a favorite pastime. Though string bands were initially devoted to Tahiti (where most of the regions ukuleles are now made), and for a while the Islanders sported their own coconut-backed version of the ukulele until a Tahitian carved-wood style came back into fashion.

Can you post any samples of Eddie Bush's playing?

Aloha, Smile
Don

Last edited by Don Kona Woods on 2 Mar 2009 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2009 11:08 pm    

I suspect the album you have is HIFIRECORD #R417 (which in Canada was issued by SPARTON). Anyway the title of the album is "TAHITI ...The Surfers". Starts out with DRUMS OF TAHITI. If this is the LP you have, it was recorded in Hawai'i by a great Hawaiian group during the 1950 era. It consisted of PAT SYLVA, BERNIE CHING, ALAN KALANI, CLAYTON NALUAI.
Pat passed away about 3 months ago; Bernie is involved with outrigger canoes on Waikiki beach; I think both Alan and Clayton have also passed away, although I could be wrong. Eddie Bush is playing steel on this album which also features Sam Kaapuni on guitar, Harry Bati on bass, Bob Nichols on uke....(I often wonder if he is the same Bob Nichols who played steel on most of Lani McIntire's recordings ?) Also, Emil Richards is on vibes. I know Bernie, knew and sat-in with Pat many times on steel at the Elks Club in Waikiki. The Surfers also used Jules Ah See on a Christmas LP which is now a collector's item...great album. They were a fine group who sang close harmony.

I've been to French Polynesia 4 times, (many years ago). At that time there were virtually no steel guitarists to be found anywhere in Tahiti. They are famed for their very loud home-made ukuleles and fast songs. On one occasion, I took a bunch of steel nuts (used to raise the strings to Hawaiian style) to Tahiti and had fun showing the locals what a Hawaiian style steel guitar was all about. They really enjoyed the sound as I played their songs with them .... I left them with the nuts as a little souvenier. Cool
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2009 1:17 pm    

The Surfers, mentioned by Keoki, were very famous from the late 50's into the 70's in the Hawaiian Island clubs, especially Waikiki, and are staples of older Hawaiian contemporary radio. They usually didn't have steel, as their harmonies and arrangements left little space for it, but are still good refference points for a different but nice style that is hard to duplicate vocally, but could make for fine steel instrumentals.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2009 2:32 pm    

The Surfers bring about alot of memories. They performed in the 1960's at Don the Beachcombers which used to be at the entrance to the International Market Place in Waikiki. They were a hot group in the 1960's. I have a tape album of them. They were known for close harmonies. The following is a musical clip, but I do not think it does them justice. You must click on Click for Music and scroll to Surfers - Hula Lady This site is good for a general overview of Hawaiian music with new and older performers.

Surfers singing Hula Lady

Aloha, Smile
Don
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2009 5:34 pm    

George Keoki Lake wrote:
I suspect the album you have is HIFIRECORD #R417 ... the title of the album is "TAHITI ...The Surfers"...if this is the LP you have, it was recorded in Hawai'i ...

Yes George, you're absolutely right, and my suspicions that it was not a Tahitian album have been borne out in the comments of you, Don and Ron.

By the way, my father was a great lover of Hawaiian music, and had quite a record collection, which somehow disappeared just after his death. One of his favourite groups was the Waikiki Beach Boys. Is anyone familiar with them ?
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2009 11:15 pm    

In this article, A LITTLE UKE HISTORY, you will find some interesting history including some information about the Waikiki Beach Boys.
I really like the 1963 Waikiki Beachboys CD with Tommy Castro on Hawaiian steel.

Article - Hit the puka (X) and scroll down until you get to Waikiki Beach Boys

Aloha Smile
Don