| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Derailers....it's official
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 11:22 am    

New Years Eve will be the last date for the Derailers. I guess I can officially post this, because they are announcing this publicly from the stage at our performances. Part of the reason is personal, which I won’t go into on this forum. The other is business, and the way Sony has mistreated the band.
I have had the pleasure of playing with this great band for 1 ½ years, touring all over the country, playing places I would have never had the opportunity to play before. The Opry, Jerry Lewis telethon, fan fair, Buck’s Palace are just the highlights. This experience has, more than anything, brought me, and my playing, back to real, traditional country music. It has improved my playing and performance skills tenfold.
It saddens me for this to come to an end, but I feel that their music catalog will transcend years to come. Their popularity nationwide and worldwide I have witnessed firsthand. The country scenes in cities like LA, San Francisco, Seattle, NYC have grown from their inspiration. First time listeners become immediate fans when they hear real country and wonder why all “country” isn’t this way anymore. This is the real tragedy here. Because traditional country gets shot down again.
I would like to thank Tony Villanueva, Brian Hofeldt, Ed Adkins, and Scott Mathews for their friendship and letting me share this great musical experience. I’m not sure I can top this experience, so I will always cherish it.
It is an honor to have been associated with all the great steelers who have performed with the Derailers. I think the list would include: Marty Muse, Mike Daily, Scott Walls, Kevin Owens, Dan Dougmore, Bruce Bouton, Pete Finney, Ricky Davis, Tommy Detamore, Tommy White, J.D. Mainess (sp). If I missed someone, let me know.
If you want to catch the Derailers between now and NYE, the last remaining shows are:
11-28 VFW 3837 – Corpus Cristi, TX
11-29 Floores Country Store – Helotes, Tx
12-5 The Cotton Club – Granger, Tx
12-6 Sons of Hermann Hall – Dallas, Tx
12-20 The Broken Spoke – Austin, Tx
12-21 Armadillo Christmas Bazaar/Austin Music Hall – Austin, Tx
12-31 Gruene Hall – New Years Eve w/Robert Earl Keen – New Braunfels, Tx

Thank you
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 11:47 am    

Man, that's such a shame....What an experience though. You sounded great with them. They, as a band, will be sorely missed!!!!
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 12:21 pm    

I'm sorry to hear about this, Chris, but I wish you good luck in your future playing.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 12:35 pm    

Chris, your list of former Derailer steelers should also include Danny Hawk and yours truly.

This is too bad, for my friends in the band, and for country music in general. The Derailers will be sorely missed, but these guys are still young (at least compared to me ), and they'll bounce back doing something... they're too good to hold back completely.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 1:25 pm    

What a Shock. But it's what happens dealing with major labels it seems.

Hope the guys stick around town and keep their interest in the Austin Music Scene.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 1:33 pm    

Sad news indeed.As I was reading this post I was listening to"Here come the Derailers"
one of my favorite albums of thier's.
Country takes another "hit".But will never die!!

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII
"there's been an awful murder, down on music row!"

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 2:40 pm    

Hey yes I knew of this for sometime now...and yes indeed; these boys will be surely MISSED.
Chris; I'm sorry for the loss of the Cool gig; but you'll do well as you always have.
I've known Tony and Brian and Ed for a long time; and you can't meet a nicer group of fellas, that Love what they do. Of course, Scott was with me in the Dale Watson band for years and also with me in the Gary P. Nunn band for years and come to think of it...I got him all them Jobs including the COOLEST gig of all> The Derailers..ah..ha.
So look for Scott to play in my Hawaiian Band called "The Island Echoes" ..ah..ha...as he's my Boy and always will be and the Best Musical Drummer in all styles, on This planet.
I do feel bad for the dispanding of this great group of guys.....but watch for something very special in the next year to come.
Ricky
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 3:41 pm    

Oh man! I sure hate to hear this! This band is one my favorites.
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 4:00 pm    

Disappointing news! I wish you the best!!
Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 4:33 pm    

Sure sad to hear this. Chris, I met you, Tony, Brian, Ed and Scott when my old band opened up for the Derailers at the Roseland here in Portland in November of 2002. Some of the nicest fellas around. You are one heck of a steel player...I'm sure you'll do just fine. Hang with Ricky D, he's da man!

Oh well, all things must pass. I'm thankful for the opportunity to have seen them a number of times and have all their cd's. Their music has been an inspiration to me over the years and I'm sure it will continue in one form or another. We'll hear more from them...those guys are players...they HAVE to play...it's in their blood.

[This message was edited by Mike Winter on 26 November 2003 at 08:40 AM.]

David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 5:02 pm    

Bummer!
Hopefully these guys can crave out a new beginning, collectively or individually.
It doesn't have to be the end.
Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 5:33 pm    

What a bummer...one of the music highlights of my last two years has been to hear the Derailers 3 times in person...and I consider them a true class act...it really depressses me to learn that a fine act, group, singers, musicians have to hang it up. Really is a downer. I will greatly miss the group, and hearing you play with them Chris..
James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 6:36 pm    

Chris,
I'm very sad to hear this news. I subbed for you with the band on last years Delbert McClinton cruise. Though we've not met, I'm a big fan of yours and I'm sure you'll wind up in fine shape somewhere. Tony, Brian and the guys are some of the nicest folks I have ever met. Here's wishing all of you the best. It's very sad to hear of a break up.
JP

[This message was edited by James Pennebaker on 24 November 2003 at 06:39 PM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 6:42 pm    

I hope this isn't one of those deals where the band name is owned by the label or others, so the band will tour in the future with all new members.

It sounds crazy, but it's happens.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 11:03 pm    

I'll have to get a CD, if I can find one. I like the Bakersfield sound.
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 12:55 am    

Keep the band together & change the name of the band to "The Rail Dealers" & dump the label. They can't keep you from working if you change the name. If they do get funky about it you will get free publicity.

With a name change like this everybody will know who you are.

Moby Grape (in the 70's) did the same thing when they changed their name to "Maby Grope"
sonbone

Waxahachie, TX
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 1:33 am    

I'd like to add that in addition to being a very nice group of guys, the Derailers are one of the easiest bands to share a stage with that I've met. I worked on the same bill with them a couple of years back at the Southern Junction in Rockwall, Tx and was very impressed with their professionalism and sheer talent under less than ideal circumstances. It's truely a shame when the musical community loses a group that is so influential on so many different levels.

------------------
http://geocities.com/sonbone1
sonbone@geocities.com

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 4:10 am    

This is too bad...Tony and Brian are Sony/Tree writers(or were?)and I got to do some publishing demos for them 2-3 months ago...they had some really good songs and were absolutely two of the nicest and most polite people I've ever met!Hopefully they will bounce back and do something else...we need'em.
James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 7:33 am    

Likewise, I played some steel, fiddle and dobro for Tony on a demo session of his at Sony ATV/Tree just the week before last. I'll bet you'll be hearing more from these guys in the future. Tony's tunes are a breath of fresh air on a stagnant Music Row IMHO. I know Brian's are too.
JP

[This message was edited by James Pennebaker on 25 November 2003 at 07:35 AM.]

[This message was edited by James Pennebaker on 25 November 2003 at 07:40 AM.]

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 12:25 pm    

This band will be greatly missed. Chris, I hope you and all the others find other good groups to keep going in, so we can keep hearing all of you in some form.
Corky Owens

Owensboro, KY USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 1:15 pm    

Hey, Chris. Sorry to hear this news. Ya'll have fans on The Gene Watson bus. Tell my friend Scott "hey" and give me a call.
Corky

------------------
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 5:53 pm    

Word just in from their websight manager
Jack Scully.
The Derailers will take an extended break after Dec 31.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 6:43 pm    

Tonight, My guitar gently weeps........
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2003 5:02 pm    

I just LOVE the Derailers. Bummer it's coming to an end. BUT---where something ends, something begins. I'll bet these fine artist will simply take the "lemons" they are delt, and convert them to "lemonaide". I'll buy the 1st glass.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2003 7:45 pm    

The Austin American-Statesman music writer Michael Corcoran reported in yesterday's daily that the band will continue playing in some form without Tony Villanueva, who wants to stay home more with his family.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association