| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anyone pratice this way?
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:44 pm    

Simply put on a recording that has no steel and add to it?
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:51 pm    

I do that a lot, for example, my friend Katie Cook does a 1980s song called "Time After Time" for a movie soundtrack and the song has no steel, so I add the steel.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 8:06 pm    

Kinda how I make my living... Razz

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 10:35 pm    

Better for the ego than puttin' on a Ray Price tune from 1961 and tryin' to keep up with Big E Very Happy

Actually, there are to my mind many tunes out there that don't have steel but could or should.

"There won't be anymore" by Charlie Rich is one of 'em.

They are fun melodies to follow.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 9:48 pm    

Odd you should ask this, but I have tried this several times, and one of the best songs to do it with is Sammi Smith's "Help Me Make It Through The Night", a beautiful ballad totally devoid of any pedal-steel. Just add your own backup!

This is also an excellent tune for playing some laid-back Dobro as well.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 10:25 pm     Watcha driving?

Hey NED!
Watcha drivin'? Looks like possibly a PIPER Chiefton or maybe even bigger and more luxurious?

Curious mind wants to know..........
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 2:37 am    

Hi Ray,

I'm in the left seat of a United DC10-10 at Denver in 1999. The F/E was kind enough to shoot the piccie whilst I was transitting Denver for Winnnipeg. Nice, roomy flight-deck with superb view, especially straight down from the shoulder with those big side-windows. Handy for taxying! I have always loved the Diesel Ten; an airframe chiselled out of solid granite and the most tractable of the big high-bypass turbofans (the mighty GE CF6). The chance to get a flight-deck shot was too good to miss.

I have 2 aircraft at my home airport, but I don't fly the heavy metal. I use the pic because at the moment it's the only one I have for an avatar, until someone takes a few of me behind the steel, that is.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 2:40 am    

Quote:
Kinda how I make my living...

dito Smile JJ
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 4:34 am    

I practise by adding steel to steel-less songs--several numbers by Don Williams, Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings to name a few. I record the songs on two tracks of a four track recorder (Tascam DP004), then put my part on track 3, then do it a little different on track four, etc.
Also, I try to duplicate steel backups and breaks by the big guys--Huhey, Emmons, Franklin, Finney and so on. Sometimes I get frustrated and throw my hands up, Oh Well sometimes I get happy and feel like I can actually play the thing! Shocked

Derby SD-10, NV-112, TruTone
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 5:32 am    

I practice to my Band in a Box songs and so far I am the best steel player on them Ha!
I have lots of songs if you guys want some I can send em on a email.. But don't tell anyone.
They'll be like tater chips... everybody will want them. Smile
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 10:41 am    

Anybody remember the old "Music Minus One" recordings?" I don't think there were any 'country' versions, however. I know, I'm showing my age ....
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 10:50 am    

Glen,When I first started playing steel 1971?I bought a few Waylon Jennings records that didn't have any steel on them,they were promoted as "Folk/Country? and that's what I played along with when not trying to ape famous records. Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 7:57 am    

what's practice?
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 4:00 pm    

Quote:
Actually, there are to my mind many tunes out there that don't have steel but could or should.

. . . and this is not only a great opportunity to "find out," but also to practice playing-to-add rather than stand out.
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 7:44 pm    

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Ken, I'll email you.
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2009 6:46 am    

How are you certain you're playing in the correct key as the song? I like the theory of doing this but the few times I've done it became frustrated that I might not be in the right key.
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2009 8:18 pm    

Rick Myrland wrote:
How are you certain you're playing in the correct key as the song? I like the theory of doing this but the few times I've done it became frustrated that I might not be in the right key.

Well, after 30 years of playing guitar, I should know that. Wink
Tom Buur

Denmark
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2009 10:21 am    

It's almost the only way I practise. I don't even care if the record already has a steel guitar, I just play along in my own way.

Having played 6-string for 47 years I know what music is about. Going back to simple exercises now learning PSG would be far too boring for me, so I put on some of my favorite records and have fun trying to play along.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 1:28 am    

That's basically how I learned how to play all my instruments.
Tommy
Ben Strano

Nashville
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 9:57 am    

I used to play along to movie soundtracks learning most instruments. Unfortunately my steel is at the studio. I do put iTunes on random and try and play along. The only problem is every time I do that I know I should be working.

Might need to bring the steel home for a couple of weeks.