| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Waltz Of The Angels - E9/C6 - Greg Cutshaw
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2009 3:55 pm    

This was one of my mother's favorite songs but it's kinda obscure so I hope someone recognizes it. I added a C6th part to the arrangement and did some changing of keys to mix it up a bit. The drums are EZDrummer Nashville Expansion pack with a few tweaks.

Waltz Of The Angels in wma format at 192kbps

Waltz OF The Angels in mp3 streaming format at 320kbps

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2009 5:31 pm    

Beautiful job, Greg! Been a while since I heard that and I really enjoyed it! That' a dang good waltz.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2009 5:35 pm     nice

Very nice Greg, One of my favorites of Winn Stewart. Very good playing. Thanks, Leon
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2009 7:26 pm    

Leon, not sure I have ever heard Wynn's version but I played this from my memory of Kitty Well's singing it.

Jack, guess I am on a waltz kick. I just did the Tennessee Waltz after this one and used my Fender Steel King with the Black Widow speaker for both.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
John McGuire

Swansea,Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 9:17 am    

Great job like everything Greg does. The Derailers and an older Buck Owens recorded this a few years before Buck Left us. The words are about as sad as He Stopped Loving Her Today.
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 9:19 am    

George did a duet of that song, and the steel part is one of the best I ever heard for touch and tone. Sure wish I knew who picked it and what kind of guitar he was playing...
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 10:42 am    

I posted the rhythm track and chord chart on my web site on this page:

Tab Page 16

Greg
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 10:54 am    

The George Jones version is probably the duet he did with Margie Singleton on an album called "Duets Country Style". It was also released on the "40 Years Of Duets" album available on Amazon.com for as low as $3.92!!!!!!

Greg
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 12:04 pm    

Tom, the steel player may be Sonny Curts although his web site said he started with George in 1964 and this song was recorded for Mercury and produced by Shelby Singleton in 1961.

http://www.sonnycurtis.net/

http://www.sonnycurtis.net/brag.html

Greg
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 12:38 pm    

Thanks Greg. You capture the flavor of that recording nicely. If it is that old -- 1961 -- I guess the guitar is some sort of Bud.

I love the sound of the picks on the strings on that particular recording, plus the guitar has such a "presence" tone. Must have been an old 4X10 Bassman with some outboard reverb.

Anyone have any ideas?
Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 5:04 pm     Darrell McCall

Darrell McCall does a beautiful version of the song. It's in his box set and also on his cd "The Real Darrell McCall".
Mac McGhee

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 5:16 pm     Waltz of the Angels

This song was on Loves gonna happen to me album by Wynn Stewart. It was a great hit for him.
His steeler was none other then Mr. King of California Steel: Mr Ralph Mooney!
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 6:48 pm     Waltz Of The Angels

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes

Greg : you realy do the song justice; mighty fine playing; what kind of steel are you using?
Mac; I have that very album by Wynn Stewart; during the B. Owens Era; Wynn was my idol, when it came to good Country Music, he was number one in my book; naturally it didn't hurt to have our man, mooney backing him.. One of my all time favorites of the Waltzs..Greg ; I even loved your little short portion on the C- 6th neck.Bernie Rolling Eyes Laughing Whoa! Whoa!

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 7:59 pm    

Bernie, the whole chain is:

MSA Legend with Truetones at 16.6k ohms, George L's cord, Goodrich 120 pot pedal, George L's cord, Boss RV-5 set on Hall reverb, George L's cord, Fender Steel King with Black Widow speaker, Shure SM-57 mic, Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, Yamaha AW-2400 workstation.

Greg