| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Five questions for Reece Anderson
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 7:51 am    

Are your manufacturing processes different for the new MSA's?

Have your quality control ideals and standards changed?

Have your sales and marketing strategies/philosophies, changed?

How do you as a manufacturer compare the new MSA's to the 1970/80 vintage MSA ?

How do you compare them, (the new MSA's with the vintage), when looking at them as a picker?

Last edited by Bill Duncan on 16 Feb 2009 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 12:23 pm    

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 4:12 pm    

Have you checked out the MSA website?

click here

Arch.

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2009 10:45 am    

Bill…..Thank you for your questions, I will respond in the same sequence you asked.

1) Our manufacturing process as far as work done in the factory, is somewhat different from the old MSA in that we no longer make our own cabinets. Our carbon composite cabinets are made on the east coast, and our good friend Mark Giles makes and finishes our wood cabinets here in Texas. We machine most all parts at the factory including making our own very lightweight legs, which we did not make at the old MSA.

2) Those who know Kyle Bennett (who is head of production and a principle of MSA) know him to be a perfectionist. Ask anyone who has received a guitar from us and they will tell you there was not a “smudge” on their guitar when they received it. Kyle has been involved in high precision production for over 3 decades, and I know of no one who would be better qualified or have the positive “can do” attitude more than him.

3) Our highest priority in the early beginnings of the new MSA in 2001, was to design and build what we believed to be a 21st century technological guitar, and build the best guitar we could possibly produce.

We then proceeded to design and build our first guitar and when it was completed the total cost including overhead and assembly labor dictated our marketing direction. We found it was not possible to sell to music dealers because when their fair profit margin was added in addition to our necessary costs, it would have priced our guitars too high for the steel guitar market. Our only marketing option then was to manufacture that which we intended to do in the first place, and that was to produce the best guitar we knew how to build and offer it direct to the players at a slightly higher cost than some guitars.

4) There’s no question in my mind that the reliability of the old MSA is built into the new MSA, but as far as the guitars themselves are concerned, there’s not a single part of the new MSA that was on the older MSA.

Another very important element is, the computer machines we use to make all parts for our guitar is the same required to allow us to also compete in government contracts, and the medical industry. Our high precision capability allows us to maintain tolerances that were not possible in the older days of MSA.

5) I would have to say the design features are what sets the new MSA apart from the older MSA. I can best relate the difference as being similar to flying a P-51 Mustang, then flying an F-18 Super Hornet. Both will perform exceptionally well, but the advancement in design and advanced technology has dramatically improved both performance and capability.

Thank you again for your questions and I appreciate your interest in both the old and new MSA!
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2009 5:39 am     Msa

When you closely look at the undercarriage on the newer MSA's, it's very easy to see why they are considered the "Cadillac" of PSG's by many players. Cost is higher but you get what you pay for. Futhermore, with a player like Reese Anderson at the top, it only adds class to an already fine guitar.
Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 1:54 pm    

I can't say about the new ones "yet", but if the vintage MSA's are an indicator, then I'm sure I won't be disappointed when I get a new one!

Reece, thank you for taking time to give the informative answer to my questions. When I grow up, I want to pick just like you!