| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tom Bath?
John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 6:25 pm    

Anyone out there know what ever happened to Tom Bath?
He worked in the Houston Tx area back in the 80's he played some house gigs with Randy Cornor. He also performed at a couple of Steel shows Herb Remington put on.
Mike Brinkmeyer

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:19 pm    

I remember Tom playing with Randy here in Houston in the late '70s. A great player he was . . . the first steel player I ever heard speed pick using the pick blocking technique. Here's a link to a fairly recent discussion about him here on the Forum - apparently he moved back to New York.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1070679&sid=0912dff81fb0b655c82be8904fd015b8
John Gould

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:29 pm     Tom Bath

Thanks Mike, are you still playing with the Telstars?
Mike Brinkmeyer

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 9:29 pm    

John - Yes, still playing but pretty infrequently. Good seeing your name here on the forum!
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 2:01 am    

Tommy Bath is my friend and teacher here in Buffalo, N.Y. He is directly responsible for ANY compliments I ever got playing pedal steel. He can do more with four knee levers than most master players can do with seven, and thats not idle talk for anyone who has witnessed Tommy Bath play at ISGC or down in Texas. He does not play out too much anymore. An absolute monster player on both necks. They still talk about him down in Texas. He can play steel faster than alot of banjo players.
John Gould

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 6:39 am     Tom

Hey Kevin, tell Tom, John "Bubba" Gould says hello.
Tom really helped me years ago get a handle on some of the C6 stuff I was struggling with. I still have some tapes of some lesson's he gave me. He would stay up all night with you if you were willing to listen and learn. He would also get me up to play if I came out to see him and give me a good evaluation of what I did good or bad. He's a great player and a good person.
Thanks
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 10:53 am    

Hey Kevin:

Tell Tom I said hello also if you'd be so kind. I met him in Houston in the late 70s when I went to work for Gene Watson and moved down there. He and I became friends and what a player he was back then. I can only immagine how great he plays these days. He played shoe-less, just socks back then.

Thanks man.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" O.
Mike Brinkmeyer

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 3:54 pm    

If memory serves me correctly, Tom was playing a black Emmons p/p back when he was here in Houston.
Also, I remember at one time both Tom and Robby Springfield sharing the stage together playing steel in Randy Corner's band. Given the talent of those 3 guys in one band, it was unbelievable!
John Gould

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 6:52 pm     Tom's Guitar

Yea, Tom's guitar back then was a black Emmons PP and it payed like a dream. Tom played without a shoe on his left foot. Mike was talking about Tom and Robbie picking together. One night I had the good fortune of seeing Tom and Paul Franklin play together and talk about some pick blocking and fast licks flying.
Not to take anything away from Robbie, he's a great player by any standards. Robbie was playing stuff at 18 years old that I'll never be able to do. When I played with Randy I spent lots of time trying to learn Robbie's parts from the records.
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 7:49 pm    

Tom taught me how to pick block back in the early 80's when he was living in Houston. It was the best thing to happen to my playing. I went out to the club to hear him play once with Randy. Absolute monster players. Please tell him I said hello.

Joe Rogers
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 4:44 am    

The P.S.G.A. officers in New York know Tom. He played there in Nov. of 1992. I remember him playing Buddy Emmons' "Indian Killed A Woodcock". I was scheduled to follow his performance. Imagine not knowing him, and hearing him play for the first time.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2009 7:28 am    

I have only seen Tom play once. I remember going to a local carnival to see Vasser Clemmons. Gary Oleyar was on lead guitar. Vasser did most of the playing but when he let Tom have a break I thought to myself where did this guy come from? His playing was so far above what I could do I wanted to sell my steel. That was the only time I saw him but what a lasting impression he made.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2009 1:43 am    

Tiny Olson wrote:
Hey Kevin:

Tell Tom I said hello also if you'd be so kind. I met him in Houston in the late 70s when I went to work for Gene Watson and moved down there. He and I became friends and what a player he was back then. I can only immagine how great he plays these days. He played shoe-less, just socks back then.

Thanks man.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" O.

Tiny I met back in 1983 in Nashville, check your pm
Tommy shown