| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TELEVISION, is it here to stay?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 6:59 pm    

HOW MANY steel players of today have solid, live performance experience over TELEVISION?

I'm not referring to cameo appearances in the back-ground of someone elses show, but as a featured band on a fairly regular televison series?

HOW MANY TELEVISION stations, HAVE YOU appeared on?
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 8:48 pm    

By the way, I have also seen my face on America's Most Wanted.LOL Laughing
Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 9:21 pm     TV & RADIO

I was a junior in high school and the steel player in a local band joined the Army to get his military obligation over. I was 15 years old and I took his place in that band. That was 1954. We did 5 15 minute radio shows a week at noon and shortly after I joined that band we went on local TV for 5 shows a week and also on Thurs nights I think we did a half hour of a specially sponsered show which means 6 TV shows in 5 days. Also that guy whose place I took brought some guy home on leave from the Army and he introduced me to him and said this guy can really sing. His name was Harold Jenkins. Rudy Osborne (PDL20) also played in that band.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 4:20 am    

Live TV really ain't nothin' special. IMHO, it's far easier than most live gigs (the studio audience is usually smaller), and you work to a fixed set list (no one's yelling out weird requests), and you always know where the audience is looking (the big red light on top of the camera means you're "on the screen").

My first "professional" band did a half-hour live TV show every week back in the '60s, but our show only lasted about 9 months.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 12:11 pm    

Well I was the "house" steel and dobro player (and occasional 6 string) on a National TV show out here in NZ called "Thats Country" which ran from 1981 til 1985 .. and then did another show called "The Dixie Chicken" in 87 which ran for a year! During this time I got to play with some incredible people like Emmylou, Connie Smith and little Jim etc... as well as all our local stars. I think the whole experience was amazing and was very important in shaping me as the musician I am today. I certainly learnt to play with a lot of discipline.
Unfortunately that type of TV show has gone and there are very few opportunities for musicians of any genre to get regular TV work anymore (out this way at least) - apart from the occasional "Special".
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 2:11 pm     Tv.

I Played A Lot On TV. In 1968 & 69 Some times Every Week On WLTV In bowling Green Ky. The Good old days. SONNY.
Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 11:23 am     "TELEVISION, is it here to stay?"

What do you think, Ray?
I kinda think it is.
Tom Stolaski

Huntsville, AL, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2009 5:53 pm    

I played on a live March Of Dimes TV show in Nashville with Linda Hargrove in 1980. Everyone in the band took their turn making one mistake. Every song had one big mistake by someone. I played Linda's acoustic guitar on a couple of tunes. After playing her guitar, I left the capo on the wrong fret. Linda picked up her guitar and kicked off the next song in the wrong key. I wish I had a copy of that performance just for a good laugh.
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2009 8:43 am    

I miss live TV. You never knew for sure how things would work out. Even live commercials were sometimes funny even if they weren't meant to be. Maybe that's why sports are so popular on TV.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2009 9:44 pm    

I do too,Roger. I remember wathcing the old Porter Wagoner Show, when he had T-Tommy Cutrer as the emcee. The closest thing I see now is the Marty Stewart Show on RFD. Eddie Stubbs, does an outstanding job. I look forward to seeing it every Saturday night that I am not working. I had an uncle,who didn't like country or hillbilly music.But his wife did (being from West Virginia) gave me the nickname of T-Tommy. After T-Tommy Cutrer.
Those were some great shows.