| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What isn't currently available at Steel Jams................
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 11:53 pm    

If YOU had the power, what would YOU personally want to see or participate in at your next steel guitar convention or jamboree?

WE already have exposure to the GREATS of steel guitar.

WE already have the opportunity to see/play the latest in steel guitars.

We already have access to Event T-Shirts/jackets.

Would a top-drawer food buffet just outside the BIG ROOM at a reasonable price do the trick?

Would it be a great draw to WIN an all expense airline trip to some far off distant land, or a 62 inch plasma television, or a brand new pedal steel guitar or just what?

I'd be interested in knowing what YOU think!
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 12:05 am    

Dancing girls ?
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 3:15 am    

How about a "sign up" list of somekind where individuals that were willing to travel and participate in the smaller club functions throughout the year in various parts of the county could add their names and contact info and other comments such as travel restrictions, etc. This could then be forwarded to the various Associations that want to participate. A good way of reaching talent and acquaintances that we may otherwise not know about .
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 3:31 am    

We don't have a buffet, but the L.A. jam is held in the banquet room of a restaurant with very good food.

The thing I'd like to see that we don't have (and are not likely to get) is a special discount on airplane fare for those players who live too far away to drive.

In the past, we've had people drive as far as 700 miles to attend. But there are some players who would like to attend who live thousands of miles away.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 1:26 pm    

More people that don't play steel guitar.
Younger people, of course that would mean less sales or 40 year old rocording of some steel player. At 69 I 'm beginning to think it's time to let the younger people start to move in. Maybe if they would see someone there own same age at a show it would help them become interested in playing the steel guitar Joe
www.willowcreekband.com
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 6:15 pm    

Smash and light their steel on fire at the end of Wild Thing?

Humping of the amp, optional.
Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 6:45 pm    

One thing I think would be cool is to hear from the players that do a lot of sessions and have them talk about a particular song (and then play it)and how that session went or how a lick or solo came about --almost like a seminar with music..

Mike
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:04 pm    

To me, a lot of the steel jams seem like they try to cram too much in. Too many players means everyone's rushing and no one's relaxed. Big meals and prizes don't really impress me, but I'd like to see smaller affairs, so that the steelers could talk and socialize more.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:36 pm    

Quote:
What isn't currently available at Steel Jams

Bill Hankey, thank God. Shocked
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:55 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
To me, a lot of the steel jams seem like they try to cram too much in. Too many players means everyone's rushing and no one's relaxed. Big meals and prizes don't really impress me, but I'd like to see smaller affairs, so that the steelers could talk and socialize more.

Here in L.A. we limit it to 10 players who sign up in advance, per day, plus a core group of players who are automatically invited without signing up.

It took 3 or 4 years of trial and error, but we finally got it right.

I say "we" because it really is a group effort. Some people call our annual jam "Perl Jam" after me, but guys like Jim Baron who runs the computer and and John Hensch who does the sound and projections of the computer screen on the wall so we can all see the chord changes, do far more than I do at this point. It's the collaborative efforts of these guys, plus the major league players who grace us with their presence that make the L.A. jam the steel guitar event of the year in this city.

This year the fun will take place on the weekend after next, Feb 21 and 22. (The time and place is in Events and Announcements.) Everybody who wants to attend is invited. There is no admission charge.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 8:26 am    

I'd just like to see one less than a three hours drive each way from me.

Ive only been to one and got my butt handed to me bigtime. Everyone was super nice and supportive , but I got my doors blown completely off. haha.
Thirty guys in a circle just playing the everyloving you know what out of songs ive never even heard OF.
Then it comes to my turn and ..plink, plank, plunk...

still, I'd go back for another beat down gladly.
I didnt think the one I went to was lacking in any way except proximity.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 10:50 am    

It sounds like you are talking about a Steel Guitar "Show", not a jam.

We don't have any "big name" pickers at our monthly (one night)club jams, just our in state members and a a few "snowbird" members and visitors in the winter. Being in Florida (and about an hour from Orlando) we get a lot more visitors than many other clubs do. One big plus is that we have a "live" backup band (that many do not have). It's at a restaurant (separate room in the restaurant) so food is handy. We have each player do individual instrumentals (or occasionally back a singer) and if time permits at the end of the jam we will have some "round robins" where everyone plays the same song. I have had some shows, that feature club members, but as we do not have any club income (or dues) there is no money available to pay for a "name" player. The restaurant we hold our monthly jams at provides the space free, but we bring in enough extra restaurant business on jam nights to more than offset the use of the facility.
Kenny Martin

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 10:53 am    

You killing me Barry! That was funny as, well you know!!!
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 11:58 am    

Ray,We don't have any steel jams up here,I've heard about one in Portland? where guys sit around and take turns with BIAB...I'm not sure if that is something I would like,I would prefer to play with a live rhythm section.Something that I would like to see is an "Iron Chef" type lap steel building competition,this would of course be over about a three day convention?Where they would have teams of two builders per team and be given a box of parts,and weird stuff like hub caps,and junk store things and see who comes up with the coolest lap steel. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 12:06 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:

Bill Hankey, thank God. Shocked

I know you meant that to be funny, Barry, but I'll just say that Bill Hankey in person is nothing like his online persona. He's a very nice, humble man who talks very plain English! He'd be welcome in my home anytime and I'm sure you'd enjoy his company at any steel show.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 1:03 pm    

free admission and free hot dogs for all.

And a free door prize ticket which should be 1 / .011 and 1 /.017 strings.

That's all I have to offer Crying or Very sad
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 1:08 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
guys sit around and take turns with BIAB...I'm not sure if that is something I would like,I would prefer to play with a live rhythm section.

Stu, there are some real advantages to using BIAB at these jams.

It doesn't get tired and need to take breaks.

It doesn't drop time or play the wrong chords or make other mistakes.

It doesn't complain that it doesn't know the song.

And most important, it lends an air of informality to the jam that makes for a more relaxing time for everybody.
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 1:19 pm    

Michael T. CD's
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE, Bray Resonator Guitar,'95 DOBRO F60S, '85 Dobro 60DS, '95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1948 National Grand Console D-8, 1951 Supro Clipper S-6. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

www.onemancountryshow.com

www.facebook.com/utilityman2000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 1:39 pm    

"To me, a lot of the steel jams seem like they try to cram too much in. Too many players means everyone's rushing and no one's relaxed. Big meals and prizes don't really impress me, but I'd like to see smaller affairs, so that the steelers could talk and socialize more."

We have just such a get together each month in the Atlanta area. Can hardly get anyone to attend.
Why, I have no clue.

Bill
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 1:56 pm    

Mike,I work with a sequencer in my studio most of the time,I would miss the idle chit chat,and one liners in between songs. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 3:28 pm    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Big meals and prizes don't really impress me.

We have just such a get together each month in the Atlanta area. Can hardly get anyone to attend.
Why, I have no clue.

Bill

Bill, maybe you should have even bigger meals and much better door prizes !

t
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 3:23 am    

Using "tracks" (e.g. BIAB Track) restricts what you can play. It's much better to have a live band and some of our club members have charts for special songs. There's hardly any "stump the band" at our jams.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 6:22 am    

Jack
Has that right.
I doubt that BIAB would have many or any of the songs I do at our FSGC club jams.

Like he says if we have an off the wall song we give the band the chart and talk it over with them before we do it. If we want to adlib from the norm the band is there to follow us.
You can't do that with prerecorded tracks.

We do have a problem with too many steelers and have now started to have a limit so that no one will be rush as has been the case the last several jams.
Don
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 8:06 am    

Stu i went to the one in portland once (actually the only one Ive been to) and they had a full live band of excellent musicians. i like your Iron Chef lap steel building idea tho.

The Jam was super intimidating for me. I didnt know any of the songs and when It was my turn to play it was like i had lobster claws instead of finger picks.
like I said tho , everyone was very kind.

I think with BIAB, maybe, alot of it depends on your soundcard and your virtual instrument choices. I know i have an old version of BIAB with an old soundcard and my "backuop band" sounds like a casio on autopilot with a dying battery.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 8:14 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:

Quote:
Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:

Bill Hankey, thank God.

I know you meant that to be funny, Barry, but I'll just say that Bill Hankey in person is nothing like his online persona. He's a very nice, humble man who talks very plain English! He'd be welcome in my home anytime and I'm sure you'd enjoy his company at any steel show.

That may very well be, Jim, but in that case he needs to get his schizophrenia under control, since his presence on the forum is usually non-productive and annoying. My opinion, of course.

Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 15 Feb 2009 11:08 am; edited 2 times in total