| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  another Fender parted out
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 6:25 pm    

I saw Rodsguitars on Ebay had a Champion body and bridge plate and this week more parts. When I searched his past auctions I found the rest of the parts. What a shame people are so money hungry.

ron
Josh Cho

New York, NY (orig. Honolulu, HI)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 6:58 pm    

Ron, I agree. That's why I'm such a huge fan of the new pro level lap steels that can be had today for a fraction of the cost (and the headaches). And the ones I'm talking about are Made In USA.

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 7:07 pm     new lap steels

I agree with you Josh. I scrimped and saved and bought a new Remington D8, then found out about a GeorgeBoards D8 that I was lucky enough to be able to trade for from a very nice SGF member. Both are great guitars with no issues what-so-ever and should last me for the rest of my life.
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 8:20 pm    

Quote:
I saw Rodsguitars on Ebay had a Champion body and bridge plate and this week more parts.

Rod has been doing that for many years... tearing apart vintage guitars and selling the parts. He runs hundreds of auctions, always selling parts, never complete guitars. Yes, it's annoying, but if you need a "correct" original part for your old guitar you'll be glad he's there. I bought a few hard-to-find 1968 telecaster parts from Rod about three years ago for my '68, and I was thrilled to find those rare parts. I had been looking for a couple of years. I was able to complete my guitar with "correct" parts. Of course, I had to outbid dozens of other bidders and pay sky high prices. Confused Winking
Josh Cho

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 5:00 am    

Doug, you do have a point about restoration work, and in that respect "parting out" a classic guit serves a need in the marketplace.

... but the prices for "original condition" guitars, whole or in parts, will follow the demand as this limited resource begins to dwindle, so you really can't complain about what you paid.

...unless, of course, you're also thinking that one day you'll sell your '68 Laughing

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 7:59 am    

Josh, it's a crazy market, that's for sure! Unfortunately 1950s lap steels suffer the most... they are often robbed of their pots, tuners, and pickups, because many of those are the same as were used in electric guitars of that era. Fender is the best example of this. It's a shame. I like to think that only incomplete or hopelessly broken guitars are parted out. I can't imagine tearing apart a complete, working guitar or lap steel to sell it's parts. Evidently rodsguitars does that because he has run over 9600 auctions, currently running 222, mostly for old guitar parts.
Chuck Wilson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 9:40 am    

I sold a 1950's Gibson Lap and couldn't fathom that the Buy it Now price was snapped up in 10 minutes until I realized the buyer( a vintage parts dealer) only wanted the period correct plastic jackplate that often cracks on old Les Pauls and the P90 pickup.

The vintage parts dealers sell the old jack plates for twice what he paid for the steel. I'll be more aware in the future. Silly world. Most of my better player guitars are not the old vintage anyway.

Like you said with the GeorgeBoards and Remington - these are primo years right now for some awesome playing and sounding steels.
Josh Cho

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 9:55 am    

Doug, Yeah I've heard that many of the early Fender laps and consoles have long been raided by guys with Telecasters, it's an interesting phenomenon...but again, understandable.

If I found myself in your situation, I would sure be thankful for finding the last "pieces of the vintage puzzle", really no matter what the price because of the value of playing/owning a Tele, Strat, Les Paul from the late 50s.

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2009 10:41 am    

Of those who play instruments, guitar players and steel guitar players have got to be the worst offenders of these junkyard practices.
I have an Italian made violin from Genoa __ made in 1907. Last year it was 100 years old; and except for the varnish being slightly worn on the back of the neck, looks like new.

I have four steel guitars all like new __ no parts missing.
How does one misplace the flip-up string hole covers on the later years Stringmasters?
I'm sure Willie Nelson would hate the looks of every instrument I own. Very Happy