| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vega Triumphal Lap Steel
Phillip Dokes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 9:13 pm    

Curious as to what the forumites think about this guitar:

http://www.musurgia.com/products.asp?ProductID=2747&CartID=6324211252009

I have a chance to buy one like this but i want to know what a fair price range would be for it, and more importantly, does anybody know how they sound?
Tom Baylis

Portland, Oregon
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 10:44 pm    

I have a black Vega of similar vintage and style, and love it. Clean, clear 'traditional' tone. I also like that it has wider string spacing than my Supros, very comfortable to play. I'm no expert on what it's worth, but I think the $300 to $400 range would be fair.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 8:13 am    

Those SOB's!!!!....They copied Pettingill!!!!.... Mad
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 9:17 am    

LoL ... not sure I'll find a lawyer to take that case on Smile

I've always liked the look of those Vega's. Models like that and all the other cool steels of the period have been a major inspiration to some of my designs. There is such a rich history to draw from.
Doug Freeman

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 11:41 am    

Here's mine:

I have the original ivory knobs for it but put the identical brown ones on because I think they look better with the body stripes, which are actually ebony. I've seen pics of these with other tuners, mostly having various white plastic buttons, but these are Grover-like with metal buttons and appear to be original. It's a dense, maple guitar, not terribly resonant, and the pickup is only moderate in output -- doesn't hold a candle to a Supro string-through or Rick horseshoe. But I LOVE it to look at it, and it has reasonably liberal string spacing, unlike a lot of National guitars, so it's fun to play. I paid a little over $400 for it last year, which struck me as a lot of yummy vintage mojo for the money. Musurgia (aka Retrofret) is a pricey joint, but they do take in nice stuff. It's the fanciest lap steel Vega made; I'd say anywhere near $500 is a fair price.
Phillip Dokes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 10:49 pm    

You've got me a bit concerned about the output of the pickups. Not that i'm playing gigs with it or anything, but i really like the sound that this (Alino pickup I believe?!?) puts out:

Wish i had more experience with laps in general, since i've never had a Rick or a National or a Supro to tinker around with to know what i'm missing out on. I want a step up from my Regal cause to have easier access to the higher octave range, man, that would be SO nice...tired of my bar hand and picking hand running into each other down there! And I also don't like the tone knob being right in the way of my picking hand either!

Definitely like the looks of the button swap on yours Doug, if i end up getting the Vega, i'll definitely be browsing around for that substitution.
Doug Freeman

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 9:31 am    

Can't speak to the pickup you show there, but your thread inspired me to pull out the Vega last night. The pickup's output is entirely respectable, just not extraordinary. It compares with a Supro or Rick about the way a Fender Tele pickup compares with a Gibson P-90. If that helps. As to picking comfort, I notice the strings are a little close to the fretboard. Really helps to remove the pickup cover to get some extra real estate for finger pick clearance.