Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Silver Threads Among The Gold
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 6:46 am    

The title of this thread may not be familiar
to many. It has been a old favorite that goes
back many,many,years. I remember it as a very
young boy,,however the title serves as my explanation that follows.

I have been on this Forum for almost two years,,and I have read posts and comments that had seemed to have been fallen by the wayside.

One member made reference to himself as an "old time player" and would comment,,quote
"The Olden Days",,,he seemed to make little of his talent and that his ability was behind
him,,,,,,that I found was not true.

I had the same incident as I looked at another members posts and comments which he too reflected on his past and "again" like the other,,the "Olden Days" came into play.

It was though they were trying to get through
to people on this Forum and find a place among the great and fine players of today.the
war stories they posted went un-noticed at times,,BUT,,,,,I took notice and not to invade their privacy got to know them, and after I did, I was able to get them to send me a sample of that "old guy image" they hold themselves in,,,,,like "well years ago when I played and so and so",,there was something behind those posts that intrigued me,,,,so I went after the "Old Guys" from the
"Olden Times" and guess what???????????????

I asked for a sample of their playing,,and although they were hesitant in doing so,,they
finally gave in and with the tape or CD,,,
apologized for what I would hear.

Those two people now have earned the respect
and recognition they so rightfully deserved right from the start.

So what does that make me?? a talent scout?
NO,,it makes me appreciate the humble people
who can play as well if not better than many
I have heard over the years who thought they
were the next Buddy Emmons,,Jerry Byrd etc.

You know them as well as I,,,,First was my
friend Ray Montee..the next is my friend..
Gene Jones.. but Im not finished yet.........

Another member has come into my life through
e mail back and forth,,offering his good wishes for my wife and myself during this time of our health issue's and after my posting "September Song" and the meaning it had for me,,,I received an e mail complimenting my emotional feelings as to the reason I posted what I did.

This is another one of the "Old Guys" from the so called "Olden Days" he posts on occasion,he is much like Ray & Gene,,HUMBLE.

He took my post of September Song that was titled "TO MY FRIENDS" and listen to this,,,,
he asked me if he could make up a tape or burn a CD and send it to me,,but beforehand
he excused himself for his what he called "his rusty old hands"

He was kind enough to make me a CD on his non pedal guitar and again,,,,"excused himself as
he made the CD through the CD burner on his computer and used headphones to do this.

He didnt do this for recogition,,he did this
for ME,,and ME alone.

He recorded September Song,,,,,which has a special meaning to me. Here is the balance of what this wonderful human being played for me,,,and how was he to know that
everyone of these are my all time "Favorites"
and every one of them has a special meaning
to me. Here is what he sent.

September Song
Indian Love Call
You'll Never Know
Because Of You
Autumm Leaves
Aloha Oe (sp??)
Harbor Lights
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Sweet Leilani

They are all beautiful and I know he did this
especially for me which makes it all the more
special to me.

I may get in trouble doing this,,but Im in trouble often on this Forum but his name
is Everett Cox, a wonderful and humble human
being..

This is the Silver People among the Gold.
Gold is beautiful I know,,but it takes a little Silver to bring out the beauty of Gold
as well. Blonde (Gold) hair is beautiful,,but
as a person ages,,,,the silver adds more beauty to the already existing beautiful shade of hair no matter what the color may be.

Those three are what I refer to as my friends
and they are what the title implies.........

Silver Threads Among The Gold. They have made
their way into my heart as well as to my wife
and family. Im proud as hell to call them my
friends,,,and stay tuned,,,I found another to
add to this list,,you all know him,,but Im waiting awhile.

BTW Everett builds a great non pedal steel guitar,,,not a paid political announcement,,just a fact.

See you "old guys" from the "Olden Days" later. Keep your eyes on the old guys,,,,they
can fool ya. edited for spelling Im an
old guy too,,,you have a problem with that?
Ya wanna make something out of that,,,go ahead,,,you go first,see if I care.

Someday you will be old yourselves,,,I wont be here,,get another old guy to start a thread for you.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 14 October 2002 at 10:14 AM.]

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 9:23 am    

Jody ("Hot-shot")-- Now, I just got done cautioning you about that 'literary license' stuff. If you keep it up, folks are gonna start callin' them *fib's*

As to the 'silver' bit, well yes, what I've got is that - but there's a sizable spot that's pink, too. (But I can't see it, so what the heck do I care???)

Friend??? - It's clear from the posts on this Forum that you have many. It's equally evident that they are drawn from the 'elite' of humanity. Humbling and prideful that you consider me to rank among them. Thanks.

--Everett
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 9:29 am    

I never tell a lie..I call it like I see or hear it.

There is more to Everett Cox than I can write
on here,,careful,,I'll mention your name in my book.

In fact,,I already did. I know my spelling is
poor,,,my grammer is worse than that, but I know what a good person is made of.

That pink spot can be covered. Wear a hat.

edited for spelling,,,see I told you so.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 14 October 2002 at 10:30 AM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 1:21 pm    

Everett
I neglected to ask,,,,what kind of guitar are you playing on the CD? can you describe
it? It has much sustain and I wondered what
is was,,,Im listening to it now,,,again,Its
really nice and,,once again, Thank You.

Be well my friend

Jody
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 3:10 pm    

Jody: One line from an equally old song fits your story perfectly. The song has resurfaced many times and best or biggest was by Willy Nelson on the song; Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain. The line that stands out to me is:

Through the ages, I'll remember....

It's hard to escape that time element. None of us will be able to do that. We all become the same towards the end. For what ever reason, we all become better people and that may be why poignant words such as you mention, have such a heart renching effect on each of us, in our own ways.

Warmest Regards, Paul
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 4:25 pm    

Welcome Everett, we haven't met but Jody's endorsement of you is enough for me to want to know you. I know that the songs you sent to Jody are treasured by him, especially during this difficult time that he and Marilyn are going through, and it was kind and considerate of you to do that. I hope to see more of your comments and your music on the Forum and to get to know you better. My best to you, Gene Jones www.genejones.com
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 5:06 pm    

Jody, I have been wantin to email you for a long time. But I can't find your email on the Forum. Mine is kderider81@yahoo.com. Give me a shout. Thank You--- Kenny R.Foy
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 9:37 pm    

Jody-- Thanks, again, for the interest and kind words. The guitar was a prototype acoustic I designed and built some time ago for a friend. It is my first and only effort with hollow body styles. (Way too much time and effort.) My buddy needed (wanted?) a 10 string 'Dobro' (non-resonator, but that's what he called it) with better sustain than usually found on acoustics.

I built an 8 stringer and told him "No more". He decided 8 was enough and took the prototype because it did have the sustain and bass punch he was seeking. He had sent it back because of an accident that scuffed it up and started a crack in the small bout.

The top deck was reinforced to accept a heavy brass bridge for sustain, but surprisingly, still has pretty good response. Most of that strange timbre evident on the CD probably came from the pickups (2) with which I am experimenting. With one mounted near the bridge and the other between sound hole and fretboard, the bass was very pronounced.

The PU's are different from anything I've ever seen and I may decide to see if the idea is patentable. Very low impedance and very low capacitance but strong signal. The guitar sounds good (and more normal) 'unplugged' but, when miked for recording, my string noise was simply not acceptable. When input directly to my computer, the sound gave me the idea of trying for (and partially succeeding)something like an organ or vibraphone that I thought might be great for a church setting.

Gene, Paul-- You two have been among the 'elite of humanity' for a long time. Probably even *before* you knew Jody. I believe, Gene, you and I had some e-contact in the past and intend to expand upon it. Paul, Keoki, DVA, and more are also in my line-up of 'good guys' that will be hearing from me. Thanks for being part of this world.

--Everett
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 8:02 am    

Everett; Thank you for the kind words and I really appreciate them. But, actually, it is so easy to be nice with nice people !! It's like being at home with Mom and Dad and brothers and sisters. I think that it what I value most about the Forum.

Best Regards, Paul
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 8:39 am    

..aw shucks Everett....if we have corresponded in the past please forgive me, you may know how it is when you pass GO...I don't remember yesterday..www.genejones.com
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 5:37 am    

Im bumping this to the TOP,,,,,thats where
Everett and Gene and Ray belong. I have another " another "old guy" in you're
future,,no not me,,,someone with more talent than I,,stay tuned. These old guys have had
their "bumps" in their lifetime and still hangin in there. Thats the OLD GUYS 4 YA,
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2003 5:21 am    

I am taking the liberty of doing some "re runs" of past history of threads on this Forum.

I want the newer members to be aware of the
friends each of us has made as a result of this Forum.

Most all of what I have written about those I admire will always be remembered.

So I would like to do this for the people I
am proud to call my friends. And this is certainly one that fits that category.

I am proud to know this gentleman and want him to be remembered as such a "GENTLEMAN"

Among others,he stand high on my list of favorite people.

His name is not well known..he is not famous
but he is a wonderful Human Being who deserves to be recognized as such.

There will be other "re-runs" of people who are quiet and reserved and yet they too will be acknowledged as well.

They are deserving of this,the only problem is that they all had to put up with me .
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2003 6:57 am    

Jody:

I missed this thread on its original go-around, as I was still on vacation. Your last post took it to the top again and I just now spotted it. It is thoughtful of you to bring to our attention those you have mentioned above. I have corresponded with Ray and Gene; they are true gentlemen and deserving of the accolades you have given them. I have not met or corresponded with Mr. Cox, but your word is good enough for me. And, we all know that you, too, have a few silver threads and -- although you are not as pretty as Ray, Gene, or me -- you are still a swell guy and we all love you.
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2003 7:12 am    

Another fine post from Mr Jody.

Bob