| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L Cables
Tommy Gibbons

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 9:32 am    

I am a new player, but I wanted to know,... Do George L cables really make a difference? Even on a Carter Starter? I know in my case it's the Indian, not the arrows. I just wanted to start out with pretty good stuff. I'll upgrade the Carter sometime this year. Some day I'll be...well, I can dream can't I?

Thanks, Tommy
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 10:01 am    

Any good quality low capacitance cable will increase the high frequencies in your setup and give you a cleaner sound than a high capacitance cable.

The George L's cable and connectors will give you a lot more high frequency sound than most other guitar cables. Whether you like the sound they give you is something you'd have to find out by trying them in your setup.

Other than sound, the George L's have a lot of advantages. They are easy to obtain, easy to repair, last a long time, easy to create custom lengths, lay flat, fold up flat, are well shielded and not microphonic, and can be thinner and less bulky overall than many cables.

Most of the George L claims are not just hype, they really are a great cable at a fair price.

I have mine trimmed to a length that gives me the tone that sonds good to my ears. When the main cable going to the amp is too short, it's a bit shrill for me.

Your results will vary based on your tastes, what type of effects, pickups, buffer amps you may have in your system. If you are currently using lossy cables, then going to George L's will make a really noticeable difference in your sound, and one that will be apparent as soon as you swap them in.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 10:36 am    

I am somewhat new to this as well and think similar to you in the way of wanting to use equipment as good as you can reasonably afford, and basically do so from the start so you don't end up buying equipement/accessories multiple times working your way towards the better stuff. I'd rather start out with decent gear. Occasionally I do unnecessarily go too far, so it is good to have this forum to bounce ideas off of.

Greg's comments are good advice regarding the use of any decent quality cable as being adequate in delivering to you clean sound. You can certainly get some decent instrument cables that would be a little cheaper, and if you happen to have some instrument cables already, you shouldn't feel you need to replace them with GeorgL's.

I was skeptical they would actually make a difference. Last weekend a friend of mine had a set and he brought his rig over and we tried to objectively compare his GeorgeL set to my set which are not GeorgeL's. Not sure what brand mine are, but I got them at Guitar Center, nothing fancy, but decent, possibly store brand, cables.

We didn't have any fancy instruments to measure with, this was a little subjective in we were using our ears, and there was three of us listening. The only thing we changed was to swap out the cables and not touch any settings on the amp or guitar, and we didn't use any effects, other than the reverb in the amp.

What we found was that the GeorgeL's seemed to be slightly cleaner with slightly clearer tones. However, it was such a subtle difference, it would have been difficult to distinguish if we weren't able to swap them side-by-side.

So, at some time I may get a set of the GeorgeL cables, but based on what I heard, I can live without them for a while and I don't think anyone listening will notice the difference. Get a set if you want, but if you have non-GeorgeL's already, unless you're having problems with them, I would continue using them and save your money for your next guitar.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Tommy Gibbons

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 7:08 pm     Cable Length - Anyone

Greg or anyone, What is too short? Less than 10' - 15' What length do you feel is best for you?? Tommy.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 7:46 pm    

Here's my current setup:

MSA Legend -> 30" George L's -> Goodrich Model 120 pot pedal -> 13" George L's -> Boss RV-5 -> 14' George L's -> Steel King Amp

When I swap out the Boss RV-5 for the Digitech RV-7, the sound is a lot muddier and I have to either shorten the George L's to about 6' or try to adjust the amp's tone controls to recover the highs.

I only mention the second paragraph to point out that you will have to experiment, maybe for a year or two, to find the combination of amp, effects, foot volume and cable type/lengths that sound good to your ears and fit your guitar and style of playing. One size just does not fit all.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger