| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Making Fender's Super Twin a better steel amp, too!
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 11:14 am    

i just got a fender super twin (no reverb) 2x12 rated at 180watt 4ohm.

to me the two 12" sound nice and there is even at low volumes a nice warm growl in the lows and i love the tube sound!
but i think about if a single 15" would do better even a bit more?? i kept an eye on the eminence commonwealth 4ohm!
then there will be the problem that it seems that there is no space left to install it in the combo (very huge trannies)!?

i also read that the volume boost is only active when switched on with a foot switch - if i do so nothing happens with my amp! just a very slight nearly not noticeable "plob" nothing else! no volume increase!

i also would appreciate some suggestions for settings and how to use it in combination with the volume pedal (preamp volume, volume pedal backed off, master volume) and is the eq generally voiced to sound good with steels?

and the last thing there is no reverb so what's fitting best with these amps? just a tech21 rvb in front of the input stage and thats it??

i would love to hear any experiences with these amps as i'm just at beginners stage!

cheers

guido
Sho~Bud Pro II, Sho~Bud LDG, Fender '79 Vibrosonic 1x15 JBL, Fender '72 Bandmaster Reverb + Custom 2x12 Vintage Alnico Cab, Fender 75 1x15", Randall Steel Man 500, Peavey Session 500, Goodrich L120, Sho~Bud Pedal
www.facebook.com/guido.luckylola

Last edited by Guido Hausmann on 25 Jan 2009 3:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 11:34 am    

For that Super Twin you need a reverb unit like this:

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 12:53 pm    

Guido, welcome to the world of tube tone with unlimited clean headroom. The stock Jensen 2x12s are okay, but not great. They are heavy duty so don't sound so great at low volumes (but then what's the point of using a Super Twin for low volume). I put my Super Twin and Super Twin Reverb in head cabs, so I don't have to worry about what fits in the combo cab. Even the head cab weighs 60 lbs. (28 kg). The combo is around 100 lbs. (46 kg), and might as well be welded to the floor. You can use a wheeled hand truck, but God forbid you should encounter some stairs.

With the head cab, I can try any speakers with these amps. I have a heavy duty 15" Eminence, but it doesn't have much sparkle in the highs. My favorites are a couple of JBL D130s. For rock and blues a couple of D120s will cut through a little better. At some point I will get some Weber neodymiums to lighten the speaker cabs up a little.

The Super Twin Reverb definitely needs the foot switch to boost up to the maximum 180 watts. Without that, it seems like about 100 watts. I haven't played the one without the reverb for awhile, so I don't remember if it needs the footswitch to get the maximum power.

The four passive EQ knobs (treble, mid, bass, presence) work like on a regular Fender amp. The five-band active EQ controls can be switched on or off with the foot switch. When they are on, they work in combination with the regular EQ, so they can overide the regular EQ to give a different sound. The best way I have found to use them is to dial in one tone with the regular controls with the active controls switched off. Then switch in the active controls and dial in a 2nd tone with them. Then you can use the foot switch to toggle between the two different tone settings, say one being brighter and the other being darker.

For reverb you can use any guitar reverb unit. Most work fine between the volume pedal and the front input jack of the amp. If you have other effects in the chain, you usually want the reverb last before going into the amp. I presently use the medium hall reverb of my Line 6 POD XT. The POD has about 15 reverbs to choose from.

These amps have huge power, and the plate voltages are very high. You need to have all the caps checked, and the bias adjusted. Only the hardiest power tubes will hold up well with those high plate voltages.
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 7:09 am    

ok, thats great to know so far!

thanks david! i was hoping that you won't miss going on a twin-thread and share your experience to me! Winking

is it generally possible to install an 15" driver instead of these two 12" in the combo?
or will i have to seperate it to head and box combination?
and what kind of box will be best, a closed or open back??

thanks

guido
Sho~Bud Pro II, Sho~Bud LDG, Fender '79 Vibrosonic 1x15 JBL, Fender '72 Bandmaster Reverb + Custom 2x12 Vintage Alnico Cab, Fender 75 1x15", Randall Steel Man 500, Peavey Session 500, Goodrich L120, Sho~Bud Pedal
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 10:11 am    

Guido, you must be playing in a stadium, as you keep bringing up power, power, and more power. Confused

At any rate, you don't want one speaker, as that amp will wipe out just about single speaker on the planet.

You also don't need to even worry about the "boost", as all it does is increase the drive and distortion. Believe me, you'll have plenty of power without worrying about "boosting" anything. I regularly used mine driving two 15" SRO's and the two stock 12" speakers to unGODly volume levels. I simply can't imagine needing more than that amp will give you in an indoor space.

Of course, if you don't like super-fat sounds and thundering bass, you can probably do just as well with a far smaller amp.
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 12:12 pm    

donny, you say just a single speaker can't handle the power - that keeps me worried a bit. when i think about the nashville 1000, this monster powers out 300watts in a single speaker, if i'm right?
that's even quite more than the 180 from the super twin! i think the speaker doesn't care about tube or solid state watts - it's just the more in (nearly) clean headroom we hear that the tube amp got more than an equivalent ss amp in wattage. cause ss amp's clipping is nasty!
so, why do you think for example an eminence commonwealth rated with 225watt rms at 4ohm won't handle the super twin power?
and as david pointed out the super twin gets it's full power when you switch in the volume boost - and without that it is only running at 100watt like normal twins or vibrasonics?!
best regards
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 2:43 pm    

Guido Hausmann wrote:
donny, you say just a single speaker can't handle the power - that keeps me worried a bit.

In an open-back cabinet? No way. Speakers are easily destroyed by a fraction of their rated wattage when the do not have proper damping.

Quote:
...when i think about the nashville 1000, this monster powers out 300watts in a single speaker, if i'm right?
Yes, 300 watts, with the low end response limited so as to prevent speaker damage. The Super Twin, with only two-thirds the power, has far more low end (due to the active EQ). Despite the higher power, the Nashville 1000 isn't even in the same league, tonally.

Quote:
...that's even quite more than the 180 from the super twin! i think the speaker doesn't care about tube or solid state watts...
Speakers care a great deal about programming and the frequencies they are reproducing. That's what we're talking about here.
Quote:
why do you think for example an eminence commonwealth rated with 225watt rms at 4ohm won't handle the super twin power?

Because you should take tone and programming into account when you're picking a speaker.

Quote:
...and as david pointed out the super twin gets it's full power when you switch in the volume boost - and without that it is only running at 100watt like normal twins or vibrasonics?!

No. I don't know how that rumor got started.

Guido, don't feel bad you don't understand about "programming", "active EQ's", "speaker dampening", and "frequency reproduction". This stuff gets very involved, and very few people understand why a lead player with a 50-watt amp is louder than a bass player with a 600-watt amp.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 6:06 pm    

That a Super Twin Reverb has about 100 watts without the power boost switch is not a rumor, it's merely practical experience and observation. Believe it or not, some steelers complain that a 100, or even 135 watt Twin does not have enough power or head room to allow them to have all the sustain they want without bumping their volume pedal. They are satisfied with a 300 watt NV1000. But I want tube tone, so that's why I got a Super Twin. If I didn't have the foot switch plugged in, and so couldn't boost the STR to maximum power, it gave me about as much volume as a regular Twin - around 100 watts. When I plugged in the footswitch and hit the boost, there was the extra power of the STR, much more than a Twin, but still all clean headroom to the top. There was no distortion with the boost. There is a distortion switch, which gives some not very useful distortion, but that is separate from the boost switch. It's as if the amp doesn't use all 6 of the power tubes unless the boost switch is on, but I haven't looked at the schematic to see if that is what is really happening.

There was someone on the Forum a while back who got a STR, and complained it was no louder than his Twin. I told him to get the foot switch and use the boost - problem solved.

I agree a guitar player would only need a STR for a stadium gig. But for pedal steelers using a volume pedal, it's more about having enough volume pedal sustain at rock club levels.

As far as tube watts and solid state watts, for whatever reason (there have been many threads on this), my 100-135 watt Twins and Showmen seem to about match the volume of my 200 watt solid state Nashville 400. So I'm guessing that a 180 watt Super Twin would about match a 300 watt NV1000.

I'm thinking any 200-300 watt heavy duty 15" speaker should handle a Super Twin for steel, even in an open-back cab. You'll be using a volume pedal, so it's not like you will be running straight into the amp on 10. But some heavy duty speakers might not sound so great. I would expect a Peavey Black Widow might be the best sounding single speaker for steel, and the 300 watt NV1000 uses that speaker in an open back cab. But I would not attempt to put a single 15 in a Super Twin combo. The huge transformers are in the way, and for me such a combo is just too heavy.
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 12:04 am    

first of all, i don't have that much stadiums to play in! Winking so i won't use the "extra" power all the time! for sure, if i play directly (or volume pedal all the way down) in the amp fully cranked i will blow any single driver and maybe even the two 12" speakers from the combo!
it's what donny said, i just want to have the clean headroom in spare when needed with loud rock'n'roll stupids! Very Happy
for that use (and maybe without the volume boost) a single 15" installed in the open back combo will do the job, won't it?
ok, i have to be careful with low end and ultra high volume then, but that will be the same with my head then cause it might explode then!
so i first will go over the amp, get it serviced and find out what's the thing with the volume boost switch is schematicly! that's why i like tube amps, they can be easiely serviced! and i got a good technican for that!
thanks for all posts!!! this helps me a lot!
Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 2:19 am    

Hello Guido,

Regarding the boost function in the Super Twin Reverb, the remote foot switch does nothing more than insert a 39 Ohm resistor parallel to the 100 Ohm resistor in the negative feedback loop in the power amp. This leads to a reduction of the amount of negative feedback in the power amplifier, which in turn increases output power (as well as distortion and noise).

In post below I describe how I have modified my Super Twin Reverb to suit my needs as a steel player better. Maybe you can find something useful in that post.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=132489

Best regards,

-- Jan
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 3:25 am    

jan, that sounds really good to me! that's exactly what i was thinking of!
and i also was wondering about the baffle board and how to get it out! nice to know that it is no problem to get a commonwealth in! i will try it on mine as well!
point 4. on your modifications seems to be the best solution for the volume boost / distortion thing - can you point it out a bit more detailed for me (maybe in german?)? so i try to tell it to my technican to do the same you did!
viele grüße
guido
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 5:18 am    

Quote:
Regarding the boost function in the Super Twin Reverb, the remote foot switch does nothing more than insert a 39 Ohm resistor parallel to the 100 Ohm resistor in the negative feedback loop in the power amp...

Exactly. Neither the plate voltages nor the preamp drive are reduced by turning the "boost" switch off, so the full rated power is available - with the controls turned up and with the proper input drive. The amp's rated 180 watts is measured with the switch "off", as the amp will not meet the minimum THD distortion level with it "on". (Also, interestingly enough, the differences between 100 watts, 135 watts and 180 watts are barely audible, or even inaudible, due to the less than 3 db level change.) Where you notice the extra power is in the bass region. Most all players (especially those who are also lead players) judge loudness by the mid-range sound levels, which is an essentially useless way to compare power levels. Wanna know how loud this amp is? To do this you have to turn up all the controls to maximum, and then feed in an appropriate drive. (Have your ear plugs in when you do this, and have some extra speakers handy.) Like most any Fender amp, when you start turning down the tones to get "your sound", you have lowered the available output by an order of magnitude, and this is why we need so much wattage...compared to the average lead player - who is content with tons of mid-range only and distortion out the ying yang.

Jan's suggestions for the amp (especially the one concerning the reverb change) are excellent, and well worth the effort. Also, I can't tell you the improvement in sound when you add extra speakers in huge cabinets to this amp. You really have to hear it to appreciate it.

Lastly, I've probably played louder and blown more speakers (EVM's, SRO's, JBL's, and even a B/W) than any steeler, so I do know a little bit about amps, speakers, loudness, and tone, as they relate to the pedal steel guitar. Oh Well
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 7:49 am    

thanks, donny! i'll try to communicate the change jan did on the volume boost / distortion section to my technican!
the only problem: im no technican and i try to understand what it's all about! Wink
maybe someone can tell me exactly what to to?!
guido
Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 9:48 am    

Guido Hausmann wrote:
i'll try to communicate the change jan did on the volume boost / distortion section to my technican!

Guido,

I'll try to help you as much as I can with this mod, but don't ask me to explain it in my rather rusty school German (unless you want to risk having the mod becoming something completely different than intended ). I had about a gazillion pictures taken during my Super Twin Reverb rebuild, and I can always send you relevant pictures. For example, the picture below illustrates quite clearly how the boost mod is done.

One end of a 39 Ohm resistor is soldered to one end of the 100 Ohm resistor in the feedback loop (located in the upper right corner of the black component board). The other end of the 39 Ohm resistor goes to the right switch terminal on the old distortion potentiometer. Then one blue wire goes from the left switch terminal of the potentiometer to the rightmost terminal on top of the potentiometer. Another blue wire goes from the middle terminal on top of the potentiometer to the grounded terminal on the master volume potentiometer. That's about it!

You can now continuously adjust the amount of negative feedback by turning the distortion knob. You can also completely turn off the boost function by turning the distortion knob all the way counterclockwise (thereby shutting off the embedded switch).

Of course, you will have to disconnect the components associated with the not-so-popular distortion circuit before you can use the distortion potentiometer for its new purpose. But that's a different story ...

-- Jan
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 10:01 am    

vielen, vielen dank!!!
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 10:09 am    

what about anyones settings on this amp?
would interest me quite a lot!
Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 10:33 am    

Guido Hausmann wrote:
... i also was wondering about the baffle board and how to get it out! nice to know that it is no problem to get a commonwealth in! i will try it on mine as well!

I've uploaded the pictures illustrating my work with removing the original baffle and installing a new one for a 15" Commonwealth element:

http://gallery.me.com/janjomusic#100023

To remove the old particleboard baffle carefully saw on the right and left sides of it, as close as possible to the main frame without damaging the tolex. Then pull the baffle up from its bottom mounting (long tacks have been driven from the bottom of the cabinet to lock it in place so some amount of physical force is needed). Then remove the particleboard remnants from the dadoed side slots with, for example, a chisel.

Make new wood stripes and glue/screw/nail them in the empty dadoed slots. Drill holes for the baffle mounting screws and attach your new baffle (in my case, a birch plywood one). Before you cut out the speaker hole, place the cabinet on its front, place the speaker on the backside of the baffle, insert the amp chassis (with great care due to its horrible weight), position the speaker on a suitable place on the baffle and finally mark the speaker mounting holes with a pencil.

It's a tight squeeze, but that big chunk-o-speaker does fit there!

-- Jan
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 11:57 am    

oh jemine...!
that's quite heavy modification on this poor boy! i'll go for a request on a new rebuilt cabinet! can't be that expensive and probably more solid anyway and even a little more huge to fit with the 15"!
hats off to your work, jan!!!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 4:03 pm    

Guido, the reason most people go to a 15" speaker is for increased fatness and improved low end response. These reasons are not really applicable in the case of the Super Twin. The amp has controls which, if set properly, will coax far more bass out of the 12" speakers than any other amp would have using a 15" speaker. In short, the amp will easily make up for many shortcomings in the speaker.

I could understand replacing the two 12" inch speakers with one 15" speaker to save weight, as the amp is quite heavy. But replacing the stock 12" speakers to try to improve the low end or the volume of the amp is probably a waste of time and money. Your best investment, by far, would be a large accessory cabinet with at least four 12" speakers, or two 15" speakers. Either of those will "rock with the best of them".

This was my main amp for many years...been there, done that.
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 12:09 am    

donny, you mean there won't be no tonal improvement over all with a (single) 15" driver?
there a still some mids i couldn't dial out with the eqs! for that reason i thought a speaker generally voiced for steel would do better?!

jan, is it the same experience you got with your change to the commonwealth??

i never did, so i better ask someone who knows before i try!
Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 2:28 am    

Guido Hausmann wrote:
jan, is it the same experience you got with your change to the commonwealth??

My reasons for making the speaker swap was mainly based on the better tonal characteristics of the Commonwealth for my choice of instruments (Telecaster + Fulawka + an assortment of lapsteels). As Donny says: there is no problem getting ample low frequency response out of the original speakers. But, for me, the sound of my pedal steel through the original speakers never pleased me, no matter how I equalized the amp. It was something with the midrange that annoyed me. And since I had already been pleased with the sound of my Steel King and its speaker, I decided to make the swap. But please do a real comparative study of different speakers with your Super Twin before you decide to invest blood and/or sweat and/or tears and/or time and/or money in a speaker change. I know I did ...

-- Jan
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 8:46 am    

I really like the sound of two 12" speakers, with one being a 'JBL type' (JBL, Black Widow, Weber JBL clone) and the other being a more 'guitar type' speaker (Celestion, Jenson, Emminence). The combination will give you a sound that's fatter and more three dimensional than any single 15".

For weight I'd go with a neo magnet on the JBL type (use a BW or one of the Weber Neos).
David Doggett

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 9:51 am    

I immediately put my Super Twin Reverb chassis in a Dual Showman type head cab, to ease the weight problem, and to allow me to be flexible with speaker choices. Also, I like to have the head beside me for tweaking, while placing the speakers as far behind me as I can to balance my volume with the stage volume.

I kept the original combo cab and 2x12 Jensens. I put a strip of pine in the chassis slot and left it as an open-back 2x12 cab. I replaced the cardboard slats on the back with 1/2" plywood that covers about 2/3 of the back. This is a fair set of speakers for cutting through the mix for rock and blues. But they don't have the high end sparkle of JBLs. I will eventually replace them with Weber 12" neos.

I also have a 4 ohm Eminence in a 1x15 closed back cab. It too is a bit dull sounding to me.

My favorites for country and jazz are a couple of JBL D130s in two 1x15 Marrs closed back cabs - full organ-like lows, sweet mids, and great sizzle and sparkle in the highs.

In theory maybe you should be able to make 12s sound like 15s, especially with all the EQ flexibility in this amp. But in practice, to me 12s just have a different voice than 15s. It's not really all about the lows. Donny is right that you can dial in all the lows you want with 12s. But with a 15 there is a kind of throatiness in the mids and a fatness in the highs that I can't get with 12s.
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 12:07 pm    

donny, i like it the way you did it! a combo version like jan's is a bit too heavy for me and i also want to keep the original cabinet! the extra use as an 2x12 speaker cab is great, too!
i asked my technican to build me a nice top with a 1x15 cabinet and it'll cost me nearly the same as a new combo cabinet! so, i think with jan's mod on the distortion section and the volume boost and splitted to a head + box situation, it's probably the best solution!
i'll post pics around when i finished!
thanks to all of you for these great tips and helping me making my great amp even a bit more great! Very Happy

cheers

guido
Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 12:54 am    

bad news! i took out the super twin yesterday to play it "loud" and it did loose very badly!! this twin is totally weak in power and distorts even at very low volumes (same result with a telecaster)!
feels like a bad 10watt amp! i tried on several boxes with no better effect!
what might cause this? anyone an idea?
worn out pre / power tubes?
or better get rid off as fast as possible?? Sad